Old 04-12-2004, 04:55 PM
Cynthia Donahey

Default American Vole

Is there any reference to the American vole on the web.

They are very small (about one ounce) and native to the northwestern part
of North America. Does anyone have any in their pond? Does anyone know
anything first hand about them?
Old 04-12-2004, 05:21 PM
tim chandler

There is a Water Vole, Arvicola terrestris, whose native range is the UK,
Europe and parts of Asia. I can find no mention of its native range
including Alaska, Canada or any part of the North American continent.

There are many types of voles mentioned on the web, just do a Google search
(which is what I did) and you can find more than you ever wanted to know -
AFAIK there is no one "American" vole, there are a number of species found
all over the North American continent (and the whole world), mostly of the
genus Microtus. Most people know them as the "Meadow Vole" or "Field Mouse"
or simply as "mice", although voles tend to have little beady eyes and a
rounded snout unlike what most of us think of as mice. Many of us do have
first hand experience with them! Further, they are land mammals, so I don't
think anyone will have any in their pond unless it's by accident!

Old 04-12-2004, 05:28 PM
tim chandler

Aha! In the North American continent, one can find mention of Microtus
richardsonii, whose common name seems to be "Water Vole". There are also
shrews of the genus Sorex, specifically Sorex palustrus and Sorex bendirii
(common names Water Shrew and Pacific Water Shrew respectively). I know
nothing first hand about these, except I know I don't have them in my pond!
You can Google them and find out more if you desire.

Old 04-12-2004, 05:30 PM
Ka30P

Shrews will jump in ponds and go fishing. Usually looking for aquatic insects.

kathy :-)
3000 gallon pond
800 gallon frog bog
home of the watergardening labradors
zone 7 SE WA state

Old 08-12-2004, 06:21 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Crashj" wrote in message
news snip
You mean other than by google or pluck?

snip

ooh...a fellow plucker?

BV.

Old 09-12-2004, 04:25 AM
Crashj

On or about Wed, 8 Dec 2004 13:21:56 -0500, "Benign Vanilla"
wrote something like:

"Crashj" wrote in message
news snip
You mean other than by google or pluck?

snip

ooh...a fellow plucker?

Iheartmypond made me do it.
I am not sure if this is the next great internet thing or just a
complete PITA.
--
Crashj
Old 09-12-2004, 06:28 PM
Benign Vanilla

wrote something like:

"Crashj" wrote in message
news snip
You mean other than by google or pluck?

snip

ooh...a fellow plucker?

Iheartmypond made me do it.
I am not sure if this is the next great internet thing or just a
complete PITA.

I am addicted to it, and can't live without it.

http://www.pluck.com/download.aspx?GCID=C12286x012

- or -

http://ihmp.net/@/k

BV.

mole, vole smitty48 Edible Gardening 1 26-10-2003 01:32 AM
New Anti-vole Weapon! Shiva Roses 9 18-08-2003 05:02 PM
New Anti-vole Weapon! Shiva Gardening 4 11-08-2003 06:07 AM
Deadly Vole Damage bthache Gardening 0 20-05-2003 09:08 PM
mole,vole, ? CaringIsTheFirstStep Edible Gardening 2 15-03-2003 10:20 PM