Old 07-12-2004, 05:25 AM
Richard Holub

Default Lowering water for winter

Here I go again...No pond yeat...building one in spring...

When designing a pond...should I calculate how low to lower the water for
the winter so that the ice does not damage the skimmer.

Example: top of pond water to match skimmer for summer use...during winter
lower water to clear skimmer and return water jets. Plug jets to keep water
from entering and damaging pipes. Slope on top side of pond-straight or
angled for ice expansion.

Rich

Old 07-12-2004, 06:57 PM

you wont need a skimmer in winter. Ingrid

"Richard Holub" wrote:

Here I go again...No pond yeat...building one in spring...

When designing a pond...should I calculate how low to lower the water for
the winter so that the ice does not damage the skimmer.

Example: top of pond water to match skimmer for summer use...during winter
lower water to clear skimmer and return water jets. Plug jets to keep water
from entering and damaging pipes. Slope on top side of pond-straight or
angled for ice expansion.

Rich

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:47 AM
RichToyBox

Rich,

If you are located where ice could be a real problem, then plan on lowering
the water below the skimmer weir to keep the skimmer empty. That should
only be a few inches. If you will only have a few inches of ice, and then
for just a few days at a time, I would leave the pumps running through the
skimmer.
--
RichToyBox

Lowering PH tippy1 Edible Gardening 10 16-08-2003 04:02 AM
Lowering pH Jeff & Kathy Brown Ponds 23 30-07-2003 02:22 PM
Lowering a cupressus John Owens United Kingdom 9 04-07-2003 10:08 PM
lowering PH/Alkaline *muffin* Ponds 17 22-05-2003 12:44 PM
lowering PH/Allaline jrock64 Ponds 1 18-05-2003 06:56 AM