Old 13-12-2004, 10:15 PM
Birgitte

Default frogs

Hi all I am from Denmark got 6 degrees in the pond today.

I got at problem , today I saw some frogs down the bottom of the pond, and I
know from last winter that they will properly die in the winter. This spring
I found several dead frogs down the bottom of the pond.

Last winter I only kept an air pump running to keep a hole free of ice, this
winter I am trying to keep the filter running to , but set the pump down to
run 1/3 of it's normal power.

Is there anything ells I can do to help these frogs from dying ?

Birgitte

http://www.ninaweb.dk/havedam/english.htm

Old 13-12-2004, 10:26 PM
Ka30P

Hi Birgitte,

Frogs die over the winter for many reasons
- they didn't get enough to eat in the fall
- they went into winter sick
- they are old and it is their time to die
- they were poisoned by herbicides or pesticides over the summer
- there is too much rotting organic matter in the pond and ice forms on top of
the pond.

Frogs who winter over in water want to be there when the temperatures drop.
Other frogs winter over under logs and leaf litter.
Each frog knows where it should be.
The only thing I could think you could do is move them to a natural pond if you
think your pond is not safe for them. However it will be very stressful for
the frog. You can try and keep them inside as pets, that would take some amount
of work and special preparations and feeding and cleaning.

You are a thoughtful ponder to be thinking of them and I hope your frogs have a
good winter's nap :-)

kathy :-)
3000 gallon pond
800 gallon frog bog
home of the watergardening labradors
zone 7 SE WA state

Old 13-12-2004, 10:53 PM
Birgitte

Hi Kathy, thanks for quick respons
I don't have much rotting organic in the pond, trying to keep it clean :-)
I certenly don't want to stress the frogs either, love to se them by the
pond in spring and summer, so i'll just leave them there and keep my finges
crossed .
would love to se your watergardening labradors ! have you got a hmepage ?
I got 5 labs .-)

--
http://ninaweb.dk/vorehunde/

Old 13-12-2004, 11:03 PM
Ka30P

Hi Birgitte!

My goodness. Five labs! I went and looked at their picture and they are
beautiful!!

My labs did cause some amount of trouble when we put in the pond but they have
since calmed down. Also they don't like to swim!!
Rosie is the eldest, at six years old and a black lab. Heidi is her half
sister, five years old and a yellow lab.
Here is a web page that still exists for them
http://www.geocities.com/watergardeninglabradors/

Old 13-12-2004, 11:12 PM
Birgitte

Hi Kathy
Great looking Labs you got there, I have trouble keeping my labs from the
pond, speacialy Kiki and Blondie , like the pond.
Kiki like to find the frogs and Blondie just like to watch the koi and
goldfish .
anyway bedtime here in Denmark
:-)

Old 14-12-2004, 12:09 AM
Anne Lurie

Birgitte,

Frogs, like most wild animals, "do not read the manual to see how they
should behave"!

Keep in mind that frogs have been around longer than you and I have --
maybe they know something we don't!

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

. ..

Old 14-12-2004, 04:45 AM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...120904-12v.htm

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 14-12-2004, 04:45 AM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...120904-12v.htm

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 14-12-2004, 06:19 AM
Birgitte

Hi dr-solo , I wonder if all frogs can do that.

--
Birgitte
www.ninaweb.dk/havedam

Old 14-12-2004, 06:23 AM
Birgitte

Hi Anne, Sure they have suvived for a long time, may consern is,maybe my
pond it's not fit for frogs in wintertime since I found 14 dead frogs in the
spring.
Birgitte

http://www.ninaweb.dk/havedam/english.htm

frogs frogs everywhere Gail Futoran Ponds 2 01-09-2004 07:06 PM
frogs frogs everywhere Gail Futoran Ponds 0 31-08-2004 10:24 PM
FROGS - Bull Frogs, Leopard Frogs, Spring Peepers (Was BullFrogs) Heather Ponds 1 03-06-2003 06:20 PM
greenhouse frogs Dave Lockwood Orchids 4 01-04-2003 05:20 PM
Feeding Frogs Rupert Ponds 1 30-01-2003 05:20 AM