Old 26-01-2005, 08:55 AM
Richard Holub

No, I did not take any water samples to the shop. I think that the AMMOLOCK
is working because initially, when the ammonia started to climb, I was doing
massive water changes and the fish were starting to be lethargic at the
bottom corner of the pool. As soon as I added the AMMOLOCK the fish began
to move around. I have been puting in AMMOLOCK for the past two weeks or so
and the fish appear to be doing fine even thow the ammonia readings are
around 1.0-2.0.

I also know that the test kit is accurate because It is less than two months
old and when I do water tests on my 55 gal. the results are totaly different
from the 160 gal. pool tests. Same water (well water) origin, different
fish size/type/quantities with total different results.

Well I agree with the no more water changes... for 7 days and a small one
10-20% after that and using ammolock daily, IF the ammolock is working.
Did
you take a water sample to the shop? What did their tests say? ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 26-01-2005, 08:59 AM
Richard Holub

I initially purchased the refrigerated Bio-Spira and had no results. When I
returned several weeks later to talk about my high ammonia problem and I
mentioned the negative results with Bio-Spira the guy said that "sometimes
it works, sometimes it doesn't".
As for adding bacteria, Cycle is marginally effective. The really good one
I keep hearing about is the Marineland product Bio-Spira. It's rather hard
to obtain I hear though due to demand far exceeding supply. I know they
were ramping up production, just not sure if the supply issue has been
fully resolved yet. If you can find it, it is good though from all I've
read. Another alternative is to find either a pond or aquarium keeper who
can help you seed the filter with established media.

Old 26-01-2005, 09:22 AM
Cichlidiot

Richard Holub wrote:
I initially purchased the refrigerated Bio-Spira and had no results. When I
returned several weeks later to talk about my high ammonia problem and I
mentioned the negative results with Bio-Spira the guy said that "sometimes
it works, sometimes it doesn't".

Was this the same place from which you purchased the Bio-Spira? If so, it
is always possible they mishandled a shipment (ie didn't keep it properly
refridgerated) and rather than call the shipment a loss, they just sold it
anyways. I've been to several fish stores where I would not trust their
refridgeration units or handling of temperature sensitive supplies at all.
It's one of the primary reasons I no longer feed frozen foods.

A couple other thoughts... In another reply you mentioned a tank indoors.
Have you tried taking some of the tank filter material and using it to
seed the pond filter? If so, the combination of that seeding, the
Bio-Spira (assuming it was properly handled until you used it) and the
length of time should have led to a functional filter by now. Since it
hasn't, I would start investigating other potential parameters that would
mess with bacterial growth. Several have mentioned the overstocking
factor. Perhaps the filter just doesn't have enough surface area for a
sufficient bacterial colony. Perhaps something in the materials used for
the pond and/or filter is causing problems for the bacteria. Perhaps the
flow through the filter is not optimal. There are other possibilities, but
these are just a few off the top of my head.