Old 22-02-2005, 07:29 PM
Derek Broughon

On Tue, 2005-22-02 at 14:00 -0500, Benign Vanilla wrote:
"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message

I usually recommend hose timers over auto
fills, but the carbon filter on the hose end works great to my
understanding, as long as folks make sure they are doing the job.

I think someone once posted that once they get full of chlorine they start
dumping it????? Maybe some else can remind me? ~ jan

No, that's one of those persistent myths. Carbon just reaches its limit
and can't adsorb any more.

Auto-fill systems are for people who have no chlorine to worry about,
and a means to overflow the pond so that you can have a flow-through
system - without losing fish out the overflow.
--
derek

Old 22-02-2005, 11:01 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 15:29:00 -0400, Derek Broughon
wrote:

I think someone once posted that once they get full of chlorine they start
dumping it????? Maybe some else can remind me? ~ jan

No, that's one of those persistent myths. Carbon just reaches its limit
and can't adsorb any more.

Are you sure about that? We have carbon filters on our frig. water and
when that thing needs changing, whoa boy, I swear the chlorine taste is
worst. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 23-02-2005, 02:08 PM
Derek Broughon

wrote:

I think someone once posted that once they get full of chlorine they start
dumping it????? Maybe some else can remind me? ~ jan

No, that's one of those persistent myths. Carbon just reaches its limit
and can't adsorb any more.

Are you sure about that? We have carbon filters on our frig. water and
when that thing needs changing, whoa boy, I swear the chlorine taste is
worst. ~ jan

It's possible that once it gets fully loaded there's some sort of
exchange goes on, and while it adsorbs other elements chlorine gets
released (I really don't think so, though). It's also possible that
it's some other kind of chemical reaction (I can't help thinking a fully
loaded carbon filter has a lot of regular biofiltration going on - it'll
be using up the amine in chloramine, and leaving you the chlorine).
It's also possible that it's just having got used to chlorine-free water
that makes the chlorinated water taste strong.
--
derek

Old 23-02-2005, 10:59 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:08:54 -0400, Derek Broughon wrote:

It's also possible that it's just having got used to chlorine-free water
that makes the chlorinated water taste strong.

This is what I'm thinking, but don't want to compare it to the tap water to
be sure. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 24-02-2005, 07:46 PM
Crashj

On or about Wed, 23 Feb 2005 14:59:24 -0800, ~ jan JJsPond.us
wrote something like:

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:08:54 -0400, Derek Broughon wrote:

It's also possible that it's just having got used to chlorine-free water
that makes the chlorinated water taste strong.

This is what I'm thinking, but don't want to compare it to the tap water to
be sure. ~ jan
~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Oh, go ahead. It's okay to swallow.
--
Crashj

Old 25-02-2005, 12:56 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 19:46:34 GMT, Crashj
wrote:

This is what I'm thinking, but don't want to compare it to the tap water to
be sure. ~ jan

Oh, go ahead. It's okay to swallow.

I could just swirl and spit. ;o) ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~