Old 16-01-2005, 05:40 PM
G & K Meyer

Default auto fill device?

Does any one have a way to keep their water feature full with out doing it
by hand? I was thinking there must be something out there that can be tied
into a water supply that would open and shut off when a the water level
reaches a set level.
I would like to put something like that on my front yard water feature that
is just a whisky barrel that pumps water up through a hand pump. But need
to fill often here in Colorado unless I can find and install a device like I
am asking for help on.
You can see the set up at
http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=65zgxlu...&x=0&y=-n2twfr
Thank you for you help I know there must be some way to do this.
--
Greg &/or Kellie Meyer

Old 16-01-2005, 06:39 PM
Biker2 \(Threadstopper\)

See http://www.pvl.co.uk/balem1_anim.htm for a simple ball valve

--
Steve
Milk floats, stainless steel sinks

Old 16-01-2005, 07:33 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

You can see the set up at
http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=65zgxlu...&x=0&y=-n2twfr
Thank you for you help I know there must be some way to do this.

Very cute and pretty. You took a small space and really made it into
something. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 16-01-2005, 10:17 PM
Sylvan Butler

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 10:40:47 -0700, G & K Meyer wrote:
Does any one have a way to keep their water feature full with out doing it
by hand? I was thinking there must be something out there that can be tied
into a water supply that would open and shut off when a the water level
reaches a set level.

Toilet float valve, stock tank float valve, etc.

Or a timer that runs a certain amount of time every day, with an
overflow to dispose of excess.

sdb
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com
Old 18-01-2005, 07:03 PM
Andrew Burgess

Toilet float valve, stock tank float valve, etc.

Or a timer that runs a certain amount of time every day, with an
overflow to dispose of excess.

if you have an overflow, you might use a drip irrigation emitter

Old 12-02-2005, 03:49 AM
Wildkarrde

Look into pool supply places. They sell a "toilet fill" technology type of
device that has a constant water supply to it. Pond gets low, the slide
valve drops and opens allowing water in. Water level goes up and the slide
does as well, closing the valve. They are not too terribly expensive.

Old 21-02-2005, 07:27 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 (HendleyWM) Roy wrote:

.......Did Jan turn you on to this gadget or did you discover it
all on your own?

No Roy, not this jan anyway, I usually recommend hose timers over auto
fills, but the carbon filter on the hose end works great to my
understanding, as long as folks make sure they are doing the job.

I think someone once posted that once they get full of chlorine they start
dumping it????? Maybe some else can remind me? ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 22-02-2005, 12:56 AM
RichToyBox

Jan remembers correctly. I don't know the mechanism for the release of the
chlorine from the filter, but my BIL killed several fish and saved a few by
moving them from the main pond to a separate pond. When I got there and
measured the chlorine level of his hose water, it was in the level that is
safe for swimming pools and hot tubs. Before the filter, it was at a level
that would have been too low for those applications but unsafe for fish. We
added a dechlorinator and all fish that were not already dead survived. He
had been using the system for several years with once or twice a year
cartridge replacement.
--
RichToyBox

Old 22-02-2005, 01:08 AM
Roy

So I take it were in agreement on automatic dechlorinating devices
other than liquid you manually pour in the pond.............such as
Amquel etc.

Old 22-02-2005, 04:51 AM
Crashj

On or about Sun, 16 Jan 2005 15:17:04 -0700, Sylvan Butler
wrote something like:

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 10:40:47 -0700, G & K Meyer wrote:
Does any one have a way to keep their water feature full with out doing it
by hand?

An ecellent aquarium keeper in another group long long ago maintained
a number of customers' tanks with a mechanism based on a refrigerator
ice maker fill control.
--
Crashj
Old 22-02-2005, 05:17 PM
Stephen Henning

G & K Meyer wrote:
Does any one have a way to keep their water feature full with out
doing it by hand?

I have a source of natural spring water (chlorine free) and have an
overflow, so there is a constant stream of fresh water. The inflow in
my case is rather large and equals about 1/2 volume per day.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
18,000 gallon (17'x 47'x 2-4') lily pond garden in Zone 6
Old 22-02-2005, 06:58 PM
Benign Vanilla

"HendleyWM" wrote in message
Go right ahead and play russian roulette and chalk it up to your
laziness in maintaining your pond and rely on a filter which may or
may not be doing its job! Welcome you fit right into this group just
fine.......Did Jan turn you on to this gadget or did you discover it
all on your own? Probably the local farm supply clerk with that
extensive background in ponding and fish biology.

snip

There are definately concerns that come with an auto-fill device. I like to
manually do everything with my pond, just so I stay on top of things. Do you
lose that much water on a regular basis that topping off is a problem?

--
BV
Webporgmaster of iheartmypond.com

Old 22-02-2005, 07:00 PM
Benign Vanilla

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 (HendleyWM) Roy wrote:

.......Did Jan turn you on to this gadget or did you discover it
all on your own?

No Roy, not this jan anyway, I usually recommend hose timers over auto
fills, but the carbon filter on the hose end works great to my
understanding, as long as folks make sure they are doing the job.

I think someone once posted that once they get full of chlorine they start
dumping it????? Maybe some else can remind me? ~ jan

I use a water timer, so I can be sure to treat with the chloramines
properly. I set mine to fill in 300 gallon increments, and treat for 300
gallons for each fill. I use a unit similar to this one:

http://ihmp.net/@/sq

Old 22-02-2005, 07:01 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Roy" wrote in message
So I take it were in agreement on automatic dechlorinating devices
other than liquid you manually pour in the pond.............such as
Amquel etc.

snip

I am.

I don't like auto-fill, auto-dechlor, etc.

When it comes to water quality, I want to be involved in that on every
detail. For the sake of the fish.