Old 26-01-2005, 08:36 PM
Elaine T

Default New here - where's the FAQ?

Hi,
I'm a fishkeeper but know absolutely nothing about ponds. Could someone
point me to the FAQ? I'd also appreciate any pointers to articles about
unfiltered ponds (no outdoor electricity here), and what plants and fish
I can keep outdoors year-round in Southern California in an above-ground
pond.

Thanks so much,
Elaine
--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 26-01-2005, 08:56 PM
kathy

BV has stored a lot of stuff here
http://www.iheartmypond.com

and the rest of us will answer any questions you have about
pond keeping. Welcome to rec.ponds!

kathy :-)

Old 26-01-2005, 09:50 PM
kathy

Elaine wrote about
unfiltered ponds (no outdoor electricity here), and what plants and
fish
I can keep outdoors year-round in Southern California in an
above-ground
pond.

I have one unfiltered pond (800 gallons) that doesn't have a fountain
or any water movement.
It is stuffed with plants, so much so that the fish in it were deprived
of oxygen
in the hours before sunrise. I removed the fish and now use it as a
insect larva
and amphibian pond (I use mosquito dunks to keep the mosquitoes out).

A pond with a lot of plants and very few fish can run unfiltered. Mine
is sprinkled
every morning from the ugs and that seems to keep it from getting
stagnant. It
is also in full sun (and hot sun for much of the summer here in SE WA)
and has
never gone green which I atribute to the plants and few to no fish
(didn't go green
with fish in there either).

You can also run a solar powered fountain in a electricity challenged
pond.
Good for the pond, soothing for the soul.

kathy

Old 27-01-2005, 08:14 AM
Elaine T

kathy wrote:
Elaine wrote about
[...]

Solar! Wow - Cool! I had figured on many plants and only a couple of
fish to eat mosquito larvae and add interest. I have always wanted to
keep Bristol shubunkins or calico comets and they don't mix with my
tropicals.

Thanks for the URL too. I'll be back with questions once I read enough
to even know what to ask. :-)

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 02-02-2005, 07:06 PM
Anne Lurie

Elaine,

Here's the FAQ for rec.ponds:
http://www.geocities.com/justinm090/faq.html

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

om...

Old 03-02-2005, 04:24 AM
Roy

This forum has the most comnprehensive list you ever saw..yea
right...........it has one word, and its the same answer no matter
what is causing your fish or pond grief.......S A L T!

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 19:06:19 GMT, "Anne Lurie"
wrote:

===Elaine,
===
===Here's the FAQ for rec.ponds:
===http://www.geocities.com/justinm090/faq.html
===
===Anne Lurie
===Raleigh, NC
===
===
==="Elaine T" wrote in message
digy.com...
=== Hi,
=== I'm a fishkeeper but know absolutely nothing about ponds. Could someone
=== point me to the FAQ? I'd also appreciate any pointers to articles about
=== unfiltered ponds (no outdoor electricity here), and what plants and fish I
=== can keep outdoors year-round in Southern California in an above-ground
=== pond.
===
=== Thanks so much,
=== Elaine
=== --
=== __ Elaine T __
=== __' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
===

REMEMBER: "This is worth repeating for benefit of al newbies!
Jo Ann asked Dr. Solo to remind people that while she has retired from selling GF (and sold
the business to Ken Fischer http://dandyorandas.com/) she has NOT retired from
helping people with sick GF and koi FOR FREE. 251-649-4790 phoning is best for
diagnosis. but, can try email put "help sick fish" in subject. Get your fish at Dandy Orandas
Dandy Orandas Dandy Orandas........you guys got that DANDY ORANDAS