Old 22-02-2005, 11:01 PM
Sean Dinh

Default Updated Filter page

Click on Filter

http://la.znet.com/~seannydinh/index.html

Old 23-02-2005, 02:25 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 15:01:30 -0800, Sean Dinh
wrote:

Click on Filter

http://la.znet.com/~seannydinh/index.html

Sean, I couldn't get the 3rd picture to enlarge. What size is that trough
and what is it made of, a plastic or cement?

Beautiful koi, btw, the orange I believe is called a Matsuba. (Someone
correct me if I'm wrong.) I use to have a butterfly of similar coloration,
lost it last winter. :'o( I'd like to have another, and a butterfly similar
to your yellow and silver. Lovely. ) ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 23-02-2005, 06:00 AM
Sean Dinh

I mixed JPG with jpg, so the picture couldn't load.
They're are 1/8 thick plastic, 14"x36"x14".
It rained long and hard today. I didn't get a chance to take new pictures of
those 2.

Old 28-02-2005, 04:59 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Nice site.

11 koi in 650 gallons. Do they outgrow their home?

Jim

Old 28-02-2005, 05:41 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Nice site.
11 koi in 650 gallons. Do they outgrow their home?
Jim

Sean does mention it has been green since day 2, so he's either (I assume,
uh oh) gonna increase his filter size & turn around time, or decrease the
fish. ??? ~ jan )

Old 28-02-2005, 05:58 PM
Sean Dinh

Pond is mostly clear now, a week after installing the bigger TT. I haven't
upgraded the pump. Original pump was for circulating water in my old mud pond.
It was not meant to be used in a filter. It's only pumping 86 gph right now.

I waited for the vegetable filter to kick in. That never happened. The Water
Hyacinth never grew. WH didn't like cool flowing water. There were no flowers
last summer. Even though there were a lot of plants in the pond, they couldn't
handle the ammonia spikes after each feeding. That were how green algae
thrived.

Anyway, my problem now is suspended particles. I never worried about them
before because I couldn't see them through the green algae.

Old 28-02-2005, 06:49 PM
Reel McKoi

"Sean Dinh" wrote in message
I waited for the vegetable filter to kick in. That never happened. The

Water
Hyacinth never grew.

## You probably needed to ad POTASH. One Tbs. per 1000 gallons should help.
You can buy potash in most larger nurseries or farm type stores (Co-op etc).
There's usually enough Nitrogen and Phosphorus produced by the fish
themselves.

WH didn't like cool flowing water. There were no flowers
last summer. Even though there were a lot of plants in the pond, they

couldn't
handle the ammonia spikes after each feeding. That were how green algae
thrived.

## I read that ammonia spikes are due to insufficient filtering material or
just too small a filter..

Anyway, my problem now is suspended particles. I never worried about them
before because I couldn't see them through the green algae.

## You can try a finer filter material to help clear that, such as a foam
filter over the other coarser material, or even quilt batting which will
even catch much of the algae. If you use quilt batting make sure it's not
treated with something to prevent mold.

McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
"WORK HARDER, millions in Welfare depend on you."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 01-03-2005, 01:28 AM
Sean Dinh

I still have 49 lb. left. I do use them.

Old 01-03-2005, 01:32 AM
Sean Dinh

Not yet. The pond is sufficient for a few years more. The
fish have plenty of room to swim. The filter would be
stretching a bit in a year and half.

Old 01-03-2005, 01:39 AM
Sean Dinh

That's true. My original 5 gallons TT has little capacity. The plants and the TT
couldn't handle the job. That's why the pond cleared once I doubled the TT.

Old 01-03-2005, 02:00 AM
Reel McKoi

Reel McKoi wrote:

## You probably needed to ad POTASH.

==================================
And the plants still don't do well? When I added Potash my plants about
doubled in size in a few weeks. Could it be an IRON problem? I use Ironite
in all the pots when I pot the plants up in spring. Lack of iron makes them
on the pale side and they grow slowly. There's no salt in my ponds. Salt
stunts the growth of some plants from what I understand.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 01-03-2005, 03:29 AM
Reel McKoi

Reel McKoi wrote:

## I read that ammonia spikes are due to insufficient filtering

material or
just too small a filter..

Now that my koi are getting so large I may have to add another filter to my
2000 gallon pond. There's plenty of plants and pots for the good bacteria
to cling to and a 40 gallon settling thank full of plants.... but I know
sooner or later another filter is in my future. The large koi take some
large,...er,... dumps.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...