Old 04-03-2005, 07:37 AM
rjadkins(remove)@aol.com

Default coloring a preformed pond

I have a black preformed 100 gallon plastic (?) pond. Is there any way
to change its color and still have it safe for fish? It is edged with
flagstone and I want it to tie in with the red color of the rock. I
assume painting it is out of the question. Has anyone had succes
changing the color of one of these? Thanks in advance.

Old 04-03-2005, 07:56 AM
Charles

On 3 Mar 2005 23:37:41 -0800, "
wrote:

I have a black preformed 100 gallon plastic (?) pond. Is there any way
to change its color and still have it safe for fish? It is edged with
flagstone and I want it to tie in with the red color of the rock. I
assume painting it is out of the question. Has anyone had succes
changing the color of one of these? Thanks in advance.

If it is one of the polyethylene ones, the probability is zero.
Nothing sticks to polyethylene.

My preform is fiberglass, I could in theory put a gel coat colored
layer over it.
--
Charles

Does not play well with others.
Old 04-03-2005, 12:54 PM
Roy~

Yes they make products to coat the type material a preform is
constructed out of but its a bit out of the do it yourself catagory.
There are lots of special use paints out there, and there are ways to
get decent adhesion.

If your so intent on a color change, my not check into a polyurea
product. Polyurea needs no structural support and is typically sprayed
directly against dirt. It can however be sprayed on substrate as
well, and your preform would serve that function. If it happened to
seperate from the preform anywhere it would not hurt anything as
water tightness integrity would still be maintained. Its not cheap
though!

Old 04-03-2005, 04:01 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On 3 Mar 2005 23:37:41 -0800, "rjadkins" wrote:

I have a black preformed 100 gallon plastic (?) pond. Is there any way
to change its color and still have it safe for fish? It is edged with
flagstone and I want it to tie in with the red color of the rock. I
assume painting it is out of the question. Has anyone had succes
changing the color of one of these? Thanks in advance.

Anything under the water is going to eventually, and hopefully I might add,
get covered with a fine fuzz of green algae. So if you do find something to
color/paint it with, I'd only do the top edges down to the lowest water
level. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~