Old 04-03-2005, 10:40 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default A Bullfrog Challenge

Okay, Kathy, this is for YOU!

I just caught my bullfrog!

Last summer we discovered one in the koi ponds. We tried to catch, had a
good chance, but that's all we got, one chance and we never saw it again.

So today I go out to the lily pond, and here on the shelf in one of the cut
down 1 gallon pots is the oddest shaped rock or dirt, since I don't use big
rocks in the lily pond. I'm looking at it closely, when I realize it has
"form" frog form! Totally forced into this pot so the sides bulge out. Talk
about easy catching. Went inside and got a knee pad, reached right in an
napped it. Water is only 52F, so it wasn't gonna move fast. It tried to
slip thru, but I've caught enough frogs to know to squeeze tight on those
legs.

This is one Bullfrog that can go to the Demon Pond, so glad I got it out
before all my Pacific tree frogs became breakfast, lunch and dinner. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 04-03-2005, 10:49 PM
DKat

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
[...]

Envy of 52F and bullfrog raises it ugly head...

P.S. If you could by land in that neck of the woods, where would you buy?

Old 04-03-2005, 11:32 PM
Reel McKoi

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
This is one Bullfrog that can go to the Demon Pond, so glad I got it out
before all my Pacific tree frogs became breakfast, lunch and dinner. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

=================================
When I catch those little suckers I put them in a coffee can and take them
down to the lake a few miles away. I don't mind the other frogs but the BFs
eat birds and anything they can stuff into their huge mouths - including
goldfish and smaller koi.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty.

Old 04-03-2005, 11:45 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 17:49:26 -0500, "DKat" wrote:

Envy of 52F and bullfrog raises it ugly head...

P.S. If you could by land in that neck of the woods, where would you buy?

That's a hard one for me to answer. I'd probably be asking for soil samples
of the out lying areas around the Tri-Cities. I assume you're talking
county and not city land? Schools not being an issue, etc. If soil wasn't
an issue, I'd probably look first south or west of Richland. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 04-03-2005, 11:48 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 17:32:15 -0600, "Reel McKoi" wrote:

When I catch those little suckers I put them in a coffee can and take them
down to the lake a few miles away. I don't mind the other frogs but the BFs
eat birds and anything they can stuff into their huge mouths - including
goldfish and smaller koi.

So I treat mine nicer. It's in a 1 gallon ice cream container, The Ritz.

The D.pond has LOTS of Rosie Reds, so it shouldn't need to go after the
koi, and it can have ALL the goldfish it wants. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 04-03-2005, 11:59 PM
kathy

I'm really wondering if Her Royal Highness The
Lady Bullfrog will show up this year. She couldn't have
wintered over in the Frog Bog, it froze solid and I didn't see
her in the main pond, it was so clear there for a while I
thought I would have seen her.
BUT that is what I thought last year.
That said I'll look for her earlier and see if she's there
and wants to be caught. Based on past performance
you can figure I've got about a 1% chance of catching
her... (so embarrasssing!)

kathy

Old 04-03-2005, 11:59 PM
Cracklin' Rosie

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 17:32:15 -0600, "Reel McKoi" wrote:

When I catch those little suckers I put them in a coffee can and take

them
down to the lake a few miles away. I don't mind the other frogs but the

BFs
eat birds and anything they can stuff into their huge mouths - including
goldfish and smaller koi.

So I treat mine nicer. It's in a 1 gallon ice cream container, The Ritz.

The D.pond has LOTS of Rosie Reds, so it shouldn't need to go after the
koi, and it can have ALL the goldfish it wants. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

==================================
My poor Shubunkins couldn't breed as fast as the BFs were eating them. And
I mean they ate some LARGE goldfish and a few good sized young koi.

Yeah, you provide the the Hilton LaRitz My BFs travel to the lake in a red
plastic coffee (holes in the lid) can in 1/2" of water.... )))

Old 05-03-2005, 02:52 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Yeah, you provide the the Hilton LaRitz My BFs travel to the lake in a red
plastic coffee (holes in the lid) can in 1/2" of water.... )))

Right now he's in the cool garage, but I didn't put any water in with him,
you think I should? I'll probably drop him off sometime tomorrow.

Though I'm not wanting him in my pond, and I did mention "frog legs". In
reality I really don't want to treat him/her mean. I just want him/her
"anywhere but here". ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 05-03-2005, 03:43 AM
Reel McKoi

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
Yeah, you provide the the Hilton LaRitz My BFs travel to the lake in a

red
plastic coffee (holes in the lid) can in 1/2" of water.... )))

Right now he's in the cool garage, but I didn't put any water in with him,
you think I should? I'll probably drop him off sometime tomorrow.

## Oh I would. Frogs tend to dehydrate. Maybe some damp leaves or
grass....

Though I'm not wanting him in my pond, and I did mention "frog legs". In
reality I really don't want to treat him/her mean. I just want him/her
"anywhere but here". ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

## When I have to keep them more than a few hours I do add a little water
and keep them where they wont freeze (or cook in the summer sun).
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
"I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees."

Old 05-03-2005, 04:23 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 21:43:55 -0600, "Reel McKoi" wrote:

Right now he's in the cool garage, but I didn't put any water in with him,
you think I should? I'll probably drop him off sometime tomorrow.

## Oh I would. Frogs tend to dehydrate. Maybe some damp leaves or
grass....

K, will do. TY, ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 05-03-2005, 04:32 AM
jedi

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 17:49:26 -0500, "DKat" wrote:

Envy of 52F and bullfrog raises it ugly head...

P.S. If you could by land in that neck of the woods, where would you

buy?

That's a hard one for me to answer. I'd probably be asking for soil

samples
of the out lying areas around the Tri-Cities. I assume you're talking
county and not city land? Schools not being an issue, etc. If soil wasn't
an issue, I'd probably look first south or west of Richland. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

What do you think of Florence?

Old 05-03-2005, 06:14 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 23:32:19 -0500, "jedi" wrote:

What do you think of Florence?

Oh, were you talking about land around Portland? I'll let 99 answer that.
~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 07-03-2005, 01:25 AM
jedi

Yep, sorry -thought I posted to the message by 99windstar saying they were
in Portland Oregon. Our son is at Reed (college in Portland). We like the
area and we're thinking of buying land there. Haven't heard from 99. Oddly
I found a Richmond in Oregon that looked interesting.

Old 07-03-2005, 01:37 AM
kathy

Okay! jan and I were a bit confused!
We're right by the Oregon border here in
SE WA.
My folks lived in Sun River for 15 years and
now live in Medford.
Oregon is a beautiful state, has taken excellent
care of its beaches and an all around nice place
to live, even the rainy parts!

kathy

Operation: lady bullfrog Ka30P Ponds 18 14-04-2004 06:32 AM
Pond Supplies and Bullfrog Tadpoles Elizabeth of the Tudor Tarts Texas 6 01-06-2003 10:56 PM
BullFrog eggs! D. S. Ponds 8 18-05-2003 02:56 AM
bullfrog range? Mike Sullivan Ponds 1 02-05-2003 03:45 AM
bullfrog John Rutz Ponds 0 10-04-2003 12:20 AM