Old 06-03-2005, 06:08 PM
PlainBill

Default Transfering Koi

I've been given some young koi by AZKalEl (Thanks, by the way), and
have a question about transfering them to the main pond. Currently
the koi are living in a tank where the water is about 72 degrees.
After keeping them in isolation for another couple of weeks, I'd like
to transfer them into the main pond, which currently is at 60 degrees.

Does anyone have any recommendations on doing this? I know rapid
temperature changes are bad; and I seem to remember reading that cold
to warm changes are less of a problem (but could have it backwards)
Obviously heating the pond is not possible (unless I just wait until
it warms up to 72 degrees), but I don't have any good ideas about
cooling down their present home slowly. Cooling down the house to 60
is also not an option.

PlainBill
He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression, for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
-Thomas Paine
Old 06-03-2005, 08:13 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I'd wait till the water in the outside pond was at least within 5 degrees
of the inside one. Some say 10*, but when it's warm to cold, I'd err on the
side of caution. Hopefully within another couple of weeks it will be close.
~ jan

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 11:08:30 -0700, PlainBill wrote:

[...]

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 08-03-2005, 02:23 PM
PlainBill

Thanks, Jan. It appears we are getting warmer weather this week,
perhaps the pond will get up into the upper 60's.

PlainBill

Old 09-03-2005, 01:30 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Thanks, Jan. It appears we are getting warmer weather this week,
perhaps the pond will get up into the upper 60's.

PlainBill

Ditto that. Lily pond hit 60* today, Koi ponds, which don't see much direct
sun this time of year are only 45*. For this reason I'm glad they are on
the northside, when the temps dip (and I fear they well) the koi ponds
aren't affected that much as they never did warm up. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~