Old 11-03-2005, 05:02 PM
kathy

Default two frogs, spring, plants, drought

Our original frog has been joined by a rival.
They are loud enough that the labradors decided
to go investigate the noise.
Not to worry about the frogs though. The dogs have yet
to even stumble across one accidently.
Hope some lady frogs are out there enjoying the
concert.

Have also spotted some action on the lilies way
down there at the bottom of the pond. Jan's lotus
she sent over has shown some growth. (Could this be
the year!)

I might head out to a nursery today or tomorrow and
see if there is anything there other than pansies
and primroses. I want to start some chives and tomatoes
on the deck when they show up at the nurseries.

Our governor offically declared the state a drought
yesterday but those of us dependent on the Columbia
River will probably be okay. Crossing fingers.

kathy :-)

Old 11-03-2005, 05:30 PM
Reel McKoi

"kathy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Our original frog has been joined by a rival.
They are loud enough that the labradors decided
to go investigate the noise.
Not to worry about the frogs though. The dogs have yet
to even stumble across one accidently.
Hope some lady frogs are out there enjoying the
concert.

# We hear the one long frog singing in the pond every night that's not too
cold. He'll soon be joined by so many my property will sound like a frog
breeding farm. :-))) The pools and inground little pond will be loaded
with canoodling frogs and toads.

Have also spotted some action on the lilies way
down there at the bottom of the pond. Jan's lotus
she sent over has shown some growth. (Could this be
the year!)

# I checked my Lotus - nothing yet.

I might head out to a nursery today or tomorrow and
see if there is anything there other than pansies
and primroses. I want to start some chives and tomatoes
on the deck when they show up at the nurseries.

# Our Lowe's here has some veggies in. The hardly stuff like cabbage,
brussel sprouts etc.

--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
"To persevere in one's duty and

Old 12-03-2005, 07:39 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

# We hear the one long frog singing in the pond

The frog choir has definitely arrived in the lily pond. Tomorrow I drain
it, get the muck and baby fish out, and refill.

# I checked my Lotus - nothing yet.

I divided mine last week and put the divides for sale in a kiddy pool with
a clear shower curtain, as a green house, over it. Checked it today and
definite growth going on there. Sent one of them off with my sister,
hopefully she can get it home without breaking something off it.

I planted old seeds, spinach and peas, from last year. Haven't had time to
get to Wally World. I guess I should take the time to check if any are
sprouting. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 12-03-2005, 07:57 AM
Reel McKoi

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
I planted old seeds, spinach and peas, from last year. Haven't had time to
get to Wally World. I guess I should take the time to check if any are
sprouting. ~ jan

=================
The weather has been crazy. It gets warm, then cold again... sunny days,
then gloom. The fish are active a few days, then they're at the bottom. I
shut the pump/filter off as it was in the 20s the other night. March is
like that here. We can have a 65 F day and several inches of snow the next
day....

Old 13-03-2005, 06:32 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

The weather has been crazy. It gets warm, then cold again... sunny days,
then gloom. The fish are active a few days, then they're at the bottom. I
shut the pump/filter off as it was in the 20s the other night. March is
like that here. We can have a 65 F day and several inches of snow the next
day....

Unfortunately ditto. We have had snow in March too. Cooling off and going
back to normal temps next week. Since we had 2 weeks of above normal,
that's given more time for even the normal temps to come up.

Did the lily pond as I mentioned I would. I must seriously consider
getting the big filter connected as this is getting to be a big job for a
50+ yo lady.

There were 10 baby koi, 4 I'll keep to grow, the rest go to the pet
store.... or maybe I'll take them to the koi club meeting tomorrow.

Over a dozen fantail babies, of which maybe 2 had a regular tail. All have
been put in separate big tubs for now. I think when I move the big fantails
out in June that I may bring the baby fans in to the 55 and see what they
change into.

Otherwise, the lily pond is now fishless and ready for the frogs to enjoy.

~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 13-03-2005, 04:59 PM
Reel McKoi

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
The weather has been crazy. It gets warm, then cold again... sunny days,
then gloom. The fish are active a few days, then they're at the bottom.

shut the pump/filter off as it was in the 20s the other night. March is
like that here. We can have a 65 F day and several inches of snow the

next
day....

Unfortunately ditto. We have had snow in March too. Cooling off and going
back to normal temps next week. Since we had 2 weeks of above normal,
that's given more time for even the normal temps to come up.

Did the lily pond as I mentioned I would. I must seriously consider
getting the big filter connected as this is getting to be a big job for a
50+ yo lady.

# Isn't that the truth! I spent almost a whole afternoon hooking mine up
and connecting it to the cleaned out VF/settling tank. That was the first
time I did it without help from my husband. I don't use the UV lights
anymore since disease hasn't been a problem these past few years.

There were 10 baby koi, 4 I'll keep to grow, the rest go to the pet
store.... or maybe I'll take them to the koi club meeting tomorrow.

# Do you have Butterfly koi or the short finned koi?

Over a dozen fantail babies, of which maybe 2 had a regular tail. All have
been put in separate big tubs for now. I think when I move the big

fantails
out in June that I may bring the baby fans in to the 55 and see what they
change into.

# I never replaced all my fancy goldfish after the predators picked them
off pre-netting days. I do have many beautifully marked shubunkins though.
:-)

Old 13-03-2005, 08:04 PM
kathy

Well, we are offically a drought state now as
of Thursday. Though we should be okay with
our river here.

Everyone is watering their lawns as they are really
dry and giving trees a drink. AOL weather keeps
showing rain five days out and then when that
day shows up the forcast has been revised, no
rain.

kathy

Old 13-03-2005, 08:09 PM
kathy

We are offically a drought state now.
Supposedly we are supposed to be okay with
our river but it will be interesting to see if that
changes with the state wide announcement.
Could be a whole new way of ponding.

kathy

Old 13-03-2005, 08:38 PM
Terry/Anti

"kathy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, we are offically a drought state now as
of Thursday. Though we should be okay with
our river here.

Everyone is watering their lawns as they are really
dry and giving trees a drink. AOL weather keeps
showing rain five days out and then when that
day shows up the forcast has been revised, no
rain.

kathy

I wish I could send you some of our snow.

Gramps

Old 13-03-2005, 08:41 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 10:59:39 -0600, "Reel McKoi" wrote:

There were 10 baby koi, 4 I'll keep to grow, the rest go to the pet
store.... or maybe I'll take them to the koi club meeting tomorrow.

# Do you have Butterfly koi or the short finned koi?

Butterfly. Though they just look like long fin currently. They may grow. I
had one baby that took 5 years before his pec fins feathered. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 13-03-2005, 08:49 PM
Reel McKoi

"kathy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, we are offically a drought state now as
of Thursday. Though we should be okay with
our river here.

Everyone is watering their lawns as they are really
dry and giving trees a drink. AOL weather keeps
showing rain five days out and then when that
day shows up the forcast has been revised, no
rain.

kathy

=====================
We've had more rain than we need. I think it's bypassing you and coming to
the mid south! The upper flower bed is still too wet to turn over.

Old 13-03-2005, 08:52 PM
Reel McKoi

"kathy" wrote in message
oups.com...
We are offically a drought state now.
Supposedly we are supposed to be okay with
our river but it will be interesting to see if that
changes with the state wide announcement.
Could be a whole new way of ponding.

==========================
When we had a severe drought back in NYC some years ago we couldn't even
wash our cars as I recall, or we'd be given a ticket. You couldn't fill
swimming pools etc. There was only one neighbor with a small goldfish pond.
Ponds weren't that popular back then. She would sneak out with pails of
water at night to keep the water level up.

Old 13-03-2005, 08:55 PM
Reel McKoi

=========================
Butterfly. Though they just look like long fin currently. They may grow. I
had one baby that took 5 years before his pec fins feathered. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

=========
The Butterfly are my favorites. As we cull them out at pond cleaning time I
always keep the best Butterflies. In another 10 years they'll probably all
be BF koi. I'm starting to see BF fry now. I kept one last year and sold
the less pretty one.

Old 13-03-2005, 11:06 PM
Derek Broughton

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:

Unfortunately ditto. We have had snow in March too. Cooling off and going
back to normal temps next week. Since we had 2 weeks of above normal,
that's given more time for even the normal temps to come up.

You're all just doing this to annoy me. _We_ had 15cm of snow last night...
And I'm in the mild part of the country.
--
derek