Old 20-03-2005, 08:31 PM
Dean Krick

Default Swimming Pools

The link about the swimming pools was not able to work for me, but it
sparked my interest, and I did some surfing. I noticed that most people
just didn't let the chlorine disappear, and reduced the pond size in
half by filling it up by all the layers they made. Is it necessary to do
this? Are the side walls of a pool not made to handle fish or a pond?
Thanxzor
Deanzor
Old 21-03-2005, 01:05 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 20:31:36 GMT, Dean Krick
wrote:

The link about the swimming pools was not able to work for me, but it
sparked my interest, and I did some surfing. I noticed that most people
just didn't let the chlorine disappear, and reduced the pond size in
half by filling it up by all the layers they made. Is it necessary to do
this? Are the side walls of a pool not made to handle fish or a pond?
Thanxzor
Deanzor

Nothing wrong with the sides, our current koi club president's main pond is
an old swimming pool with no alteration. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 02-04-2005, 06:22 PM
Erik

Dean Krick wrote:
The link about the swimming pools was not able to work for me, but it
sparked my interest, and I did some surfing. I noticed that most people
just didn't let the chlorine disappear, and reduced the pond size in
half by filling it up by all the layers they made. Is it necessary to do
this? Are the side walls of a pool not made to handle fish or a pond?
Thanxzor
Deanzor

Hi...

I think it has been years since I checked out rec.ponds. Just came on
again this morning -- and noticed this Swimming Pool thread.

Spring has me excited again about my swimming pool to pond conversion. I
took the step many years ago. The pond has been maturing very nicely and
seems to be very healthy.

It's shown at: www.kilk.com/pond (with new pictures)

I'm one of those who wanted a real pond look -- with a natural shape and
flower beds. So I filled in the sides of the pool with layers of soil
and essentially built a pond within the pool. Although I have Koi for
enjoyment, I'm not raising them or specially caring for them. The main
focus for me was the pond beauty itself -- which I think made drove my
choices in how I did this.

I cleaned up my website and added at least a couple updated pictures
just taken yesterday.

I hope to stick around rec.ponds this season. Talk to you later.

Erik
Old 02-04-2005, 06:33 PM
Reel McKoi

Hi...

I think it has been years since I checked out rec.ponds. Just came on
again this morning -- and noticed this Swimming Pool thread.

Spring has me excited again about my swimming pool to pond conversion. I
took the step many years ago. The pond has been maturing very nicely and
seems to be very healthy.

It's shown at: www.kilk.com/pond (with new pictures)

================================
It's absolutely gorgeous! It's much more attractive than the pool was.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 02-04-2005, 07:58 PM
Elaine T

Erik wrote:
Dean Krick wrote:

[...]

Wow. I'm a pond noob and totally impressed! I can't wait until I've
worked all the kinks out of my interconnected whiskey barrels pond.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 02-04-2005, 08:11 PM
Reel McKoi

"Elaine T" wrote in message news:OXB3e.6304
Wow. I'm a pond noob and totally impressed! I can't wait until I've
worked all the kinks out of my interconnected whiskey barrels pond.

=================
I can't wait to set mine up as soon as it stops raining out there, and they
dry out. I use those heavy black liners to keep the wood from rotting. No
power will be running to them though.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 02-04-2005, 09:49 PM
W Dale

Erik wrote:

Dean Krick wrote:

[...]

Now THAT is a veggie filter and a VERY beautiful pond!

Where did you get you land scaping ties? I used ply wood and 2X4's to
build my veggie filter and spent almost that much just on the lumber.
The land scaping timber looks MUCH better than the 3/4 plywood and 2X4
construction and stronger. I suspect I will need to rebuild my veggie
as it will probably not be able to stand up to the water weight and
pressure for years. I am considering digging down a few inches and
using bricks or retaining wall stones. Then again, if I can find the
land scaping ties at a more reasonable cost than what I have seen at
Lowes, that might be the way to go. That or 4X4.

Thanks for sharing . Outstanding web site!

W. Dale (Colorado Springs, CO)
Wilmdale Pond - http://home.pcisys.net/~muaddib
Old 03-04-2005, 03:38 AM
Elaine T

Reel McKoi wrote:
"Elaine T" wrote in message news:OXB3e.6304

Wow. I'm a pond noob and totally impressed! I can't wait until I've
worked all the kinks out of my interconnected whiskey barrels pond.

=================
I can't wait to set mine up as soon as it stops raining out there, and they
dry out. I use those heavy black liners to keep the wood from rotting. No
power will be running to them though.

Mine's lined too, but with EPDM. The barrels leaked and were somewhat
larger than the preformed liners. At the moment, I've got the lower
spillway too slow. If I turn the pump on full, water sloshes out the
second barrel! :-0 I'm going enlarge the opening this weekend so I can
turn the pump on all the way.

I'm also starting to get algae, but I view that as a good thing. It
means the pond isn't so sterile anymore.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 03-04-2005, 07:42 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I think it has been years since I checked out rec.ponds. Just came on
again this morning -- and noticed this Swimming Pool thread.

Spring has me excited again about my swimming pool to pond conversion. I
took the step many years ago. The pond has been maturing very nicely and
seems to be very healthy.

It's shown at: www.kilk.com/pond (with new pictures)Erik

Welcome back Erik!!!! I've sent a great many people to your website.
Outstanding! ~ jan )

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 04-04-2005, 02:53 AM
Clurrie

Erik wrote:
Dean Krick wrote:

snip

I think it has been years since I checked out rec.ponds. Just came on
again this morning -- and noticed this Swimming Pool thread.

Spring has me excited again about my swimming pool to pond conversion. I
took the step many years ago. The pond has been maturing very nicely and
seems to be very healthy.

It's shown at: www.kilk.com/pond (with new pictures)

I'm one of those who wanted a real pond look -- with a natural shape and
flower beds. So I filled in the sides of the pool with layers of soil
and essentially built a pond within the pool. Although I have Koi for
enjoyment, I'm not raising them or specially caring for them. The main
focus for me was the pond beauty itself -- which I think made drove my
choices in how I did this.

Wonderful! Beautiful! Congrats! You give me a new blast of enthousiasm
and eagerness to get at it again (as the ice slowly melts). I am in the
second year of trying to "create", along with my trusty life partner of
course, something natural looking with a large hole-in-the-ground pond (
60 x 30 x 7 feet deep stillwater). I have forgone the Koi and stocked
speckled trout instead and they're doing fine. They're about a foot
long after the first year. Now if I could only make it look as nice and
welcoming as yours! NICE job!

You've given me hope that I may make something natural looking from it
yet. At least, the hole was dug keeping in mind that, once the fill was
placed for the necessary lanscaping, that the hole would become a pond
(so the shape is better to start with than a pool). Hopefully, in a
few years, as plants grow in and we get more time to move rocks, etc.,
it will take shape...