Old 21-03-2005, 12:13 AM
Bill Stock

Default open pond

"ROSS" wrote in message
Has any one that has there pond covered opened it yet in zone 5 , i notice
some of our plants are starting to grow i have the pond covered with clear
fibre glass sheets with a floating pond heater , our pond is only 220gal
preform . The fibre glass makes it like a greenhouse when the sun comes
out but for the winter it works great , i think i should take it off soon
so the pond can adjust to the weather

I'm in Zone 5a, no joy here. The ground still has a fair amount of snow and
it was still going down to -20°C last week. Last year the Tulips were
popping up by now, but they're still snoozing this year. I planned on taking
the cover off when the nightly lows were staying above freezing, which looks
like April 15th here.

I'm curious, where did you get the fibreglass sheets and what are they used
for? I covered my frame (4x8) with OSB and it's damn heavy. So I was looking
for a lighter alternative for next year.

Old 21-03-2005, 02:11 AM
ROSS

The fibre glass sheets are used in the top portion of a metal sided wall to
let light into a Pole barn type building it is light in weight and my frame
i made out of aluiminum with 2x2 in the middle . Our snow is going and the
forcast nights are still freezing around 28 f . this week forcast for 36 to
41 day time highs

Old 21-03-2005, 03:18 AM
Bob H

Spokane Wa area here....also zone 5, I have a 5000+ gallon pond, we have had
a lousy dry winter (30% of normal snowfall) so needless to say, my pond is
up & running, in fact it was nearly 60 here today so I donned my waders and
went in to clean the pump & such, noticed some of the water lilies are
starting to put out leafs...not sure of the water temp but it wasn't ALL
that cold when I reached in.