Old 05-02-2003, 02:40 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Default spring experiment ...and our experiments

Hi John,

25 x 25 is a lot of bog. Great! Do you know what the flow speed is in
terms of pass_through or rate of motion? I am anxious to hear how it does
for sedimentation. The roots of our hyacinth and celery virtually fill the
ponds and do a lot of slowing the flow to a filtering. The roots of your
100 plants must achieve a lot of the same result.

Good luck.

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net
"John Rutz" wrote in message

Phyllis and Jim Hurley wrote:
John,

Thoughts on your experiment: I am wondering about the rate of flow

issue
for your bog. Sufficient time in filter and slow motion rate to permit
sedimentation are, as I remember, crucial. Let us know how it works

out.

I think it will do ok I had basicaly the same rate last summer but with
th barel filters of course I cheat some my bog is 25 x 25 ft so with
over 100 plants so things slow down somewhat going through it

sni[
Keep us posted on your experiment and we will try to do the same for

ours.

We are about a month away from the turn of season here in MS. We are

two
months from the last frost date. Clear water, dead plants for the next

6
weeks.

Jim

I will

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at:

jogathon.net
"John Rutz" wrote in message

this spring Im going to try an experiment with my ponds Im taking the
biomechanical barell filters off line and running the water directly
from the Koi Pond into the bog thereby useing the bog as bio filter
settlment tank etc
we will see how that works with the spring algae bloom I think at this
point it will as some of the plants are already starting to grow and the
winter green water is clearing

--
John Rutz

I'm not Porg am not am not am so
see my pond at:
http://www.fuerjefe.com

--
John Rutz

I'm not Porg am not am not am so
see my pond at:
http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 05-02-2003, 04:51 PM
John Rutz

"John Rutz" wrote in message

Phyllis and Jim Hurley wrote:

well Im pumping about 4000-4400 gph with 2 pumps and the bog is just
over 4000 gallons so probly in the neiborhood of 30 45 min dwell time
when it warms up some more and I fire up the pumps Ill chunk in some
food coloring and get an actual time (according to chuck rushes formlua's
53,000 gph capability out of the bog)

--
John Rutz

I'm not Porg am not am not am so
see my pond at:
http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 08-02-2003, 08:21 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Hi John,

A one hour pass through! Great. Add roots, 25' width and sediment should
drop out. How do you collect sediment?

Old 08-02-2003, 11:25 PM
John Rutz

Phyllis and Jim Hurley wrote:
Hi John,

A one hour pass through! Great. Add roots, 25' width and sediment should
drop out. How do you collect sediment?

Jim

if you mean what I think I put a sump pump in a low spot and flush it with a garden hose

pumping it into the Rose garden or lawn

--
John Rutz

I'm not Porg am not am not am so