Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-04-2005, 03:32 AM
Elaine T

Default Need help - suicidal shubunkans

Help! My shubunkans are jumping out of my barrel pond. I knew I'd lost
a shubunkan over vacation but figured it was ammonia or something.
There was no way to find a corpse in the green water so I didn't know
what happened. I bought three more and put them in the pond on Friday.
All 3 were alive and accounted for Sunday. Today, I could only find
two. I finally looked on the ground, and there were two dead jumpers.

Do shubunkans commonly jump? Do I need netting over the barrel with
them? If so, how do I handle the marginals and water lettuce which are
sticking up out of the barrel? Please help! I don't want to find any
more dead fish on the ground.

Also, while I'm on the subject of shubunkans, one fish is constantly
chasing the other. I can't figure out whether it's aggression or mating
behavior. Will this stress out the chasee, and would a third fish help?
(Assuming I can keep it in the barrel and off the concrete.)

Thanks for any advice.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Need Help Deciding What Kind Of Tree I Need mab Texas 5 16-04-2007 03:10 PM
Suicidal fish :( Dude Ponds 5 12-04-2005 05:53 AM
Suicidal koi on display Phyllis and Jim Hurley Ponds 3 19-07-2003 09:12 PM
Suicidal koi survives...can it grow new scales? Phyllis and Jim Hurley Ponds 13 17-07-2003 06:08 AM
Need desperate help - need to find Seed Aide mulching granules ASAP!!! BillC Gardening 0 06-04-2003 07:08 AM