Old 11-04-2005, 10:31 AM
Dude

Default Suicidal fish :(

So the other day my wife calls me at work. Says Chris something is
wrong with the pond. It's close to empty and there are pieces of fish
everywhere. I asked if the pump was off and it was. The pump has a
float the automatically turns the pump off if it drops to low.
Anyways I get home later to check out the scene and my 2 biggest gold
fish (about the size of small potato's) decided to try and swim through
the impeller of the pump and are now just chum stuck in the exit of the
waterfall --- I use 2" PVC connected in a loop with a slit cut in it
so the water sheets out. Looks nice when there is not fish pieces
clogging it up.
So anyways they were my two oldest and biggest fish, Realy pretty tail
fins and I think another smaller one decided to follow too. I just got
off working my night job 12 hr shift then onto my other PT job for a
few hours and didnt have time to work on it so it had to wait till
morning.
Next day I have to totaly disasemble all hoses, pump, filters, etc
clean everything and start from scratch. All fish are dead now by the
way. The couple that were still alive died I guess from toxic shock or
something. The water was disgusting with all the crap in there. So I
get it all back up and running and let it go for a few days then go to
petsmart and get a few comets to test with and would'nt you know one
decides to try the pump run himself and meets the same fate.
I just got this pump a little over a month ago and its a 1200gph and I
guess its just soo strong that if they get to close it sucks them in.
So I went to Lowes to look for a bag of some sort I could put the pump
in and still allow plenty of flow and keep the fish safe. I ended up
buying 1 gallong paint strainers.. worked perfect, it slipped right
over the pump and I placed some rocks around it to hide the pump and
seems to be working fine now.
Still sad I lost those fish

By the way I released my two Red Eared Sliders into the pond also. We
got them as babies about 2 years ago. They were about the size of
quarters when we got them and now are about 3" in diameter and doing
great. I know I know they were illegal to buy... found out a few months
later when we went back to see of we could get more and the person told
us they almost got shut down for selling them.. It was one of those
little karts at the mall that sells the hermit crabs where we got em.
But oh well they are doing great and now love the freedom of the pond

Regards,
Chris

Old 11-04-2005, 10:59 AM
George

"Dude" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

In the 1970s, the US government banned the sale of turtles less than 4 inches
long, once the connection was made between turtles and Salmonella infections,
especially in children. It is not that baby turtles carry more Salmonella than
larger ones; it is more of a case of children being more likely to handle the
smaller turtles (and/or put them in their mouths!).

Old 11-04-2005, 02:56 PM
Dude

Thanks for that bit of info but I think I mentioned I found out after
the fact that they were ilegal to buy at that young age. We wash our
hands very well after touching them, including our childre. Like I said
we have had them for 2 years now.

Chris

Old 11-04-2005, 04:18 PM
99windstar

We had the same problem with our pump. Too strong of a current. We
'inherited' the pond when we bought the house and didn't know the pump was
that strong. We put in about 12 goldfish and never saw them again. Just
thought they were shy or trying to get use to the pond. The second season my
brother in law gave us a couple of large gold fish for the pond put them in
before we had a chance to clean the pond. Later we caught one but couldn't
catch the other so we left it in the pond and drained the pond thinking that
it will be easier to catch but couldn't find it. The pond wasn't drained all
the way so figured it found a pocket of water. Filled the pond back up,
turned on the pump and you guessed it the fish came shooting out of the
waterfall! It went thru' the pump, into the pressurized biofilter up 14 ft.
of pipe to the top of the waterfall. It flew into the pond and was still
alive. It lived for about an hour after than it died. NOW we knew what
happened to all the fish from the past season. We made a little 'box' around
the pump made from plastic gutter guards works perfectly. Haven't lost a
fish thru' the pump since.

ups.com...

Old 12-04-2005, 04:00 AM
dkat

Real sorry to hear about the fish. At least you learned something out of
it.....

We were walking around our local natural pond (about the size of 2 city
blocks). On a dead tree laying in the water there were about 2 dozen red
ear sliders sunbathing. We hung out and just watched them for a bit mostly
waiting to see if the youngster in the bunch (about 4") would be able to
crawl up the log. He did after quite a bit of work. In the same pond is a
snapper that is about 18" long. I'm surprised to see anything smaller that
our swans survive that fellow.

ups.com...

Old 12-04-2005, 05:53 AM
Elaine T

Dude wrote:
[...]

Sorry to hear about your fish. I've had some fishy suicides myself this
spring with fish leaping out of barrels so I know what a bummer it is.

Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__