Old 06-04-2005, 03:32 AM
Elaine T

Default Need help - suicidal shubunkans

Help! My shubunkans are jumping out of my barrel pond. I knew I'd lost
a shubunkan over vacation but figured it was ammonia or something.
There was no way to find a corpse in the green water so I didn't know
what happened. I bought three more and put them in the pond on Friday.
All 3 were alive and accounted for Sunday. Today, I could only find
two. I finally looked on the ground, and there were two dead jumpers.

Do shubunkans commonly jump? Do I need netting over the barrel with
them? If so, how do I handle the marginals and water lettuce which are
sticking up out of the barrel? Please help! I don't want to find any
more dead fish on the ground.

Also, while I'm on the subject of shubunkans, one fish is constantly
chasing the other. I can't figure out whether it's aggression or mating
behavior. Will this stress out the chasee, and would a third fish help?
(Assuming I can keep it in the barrel and off the concrete.)

Thanks for any advice.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 06-04-2005, 05:07 AM
George

"Otto Pylot" wrote in message
In article , Elaine T
wrote:

Help! My shubunkans are jumping out of my barrel pond. I knew I'd lost
a shubunkan over vacation but figured it was ammonia or something.
There was no way to find a corpse in the green water so I didn't know
what happened. I bought three more and put them in the pond on Friday.
All 3 were alive and accounted for Sunday. Today, I could only find
two. I finally looked on the ground, and there were two dead jumpers.

Do shubunkans commonly jump? Do I need netting over the barrel with
them? If so, how do I handle the marginals and water lettuce which are
sticking up out of the barrel? Please help! I don't want to find any
more dead fish on the ground.

We have 4 Shubunkins in our outdoor pond. Yes, they can jump every now
and then but ours have stayed in the pond. Granted it's about 1200
gallons so they'd have to jump really far to make it out.

Also, while I'm on the subject of shubunkans, one fish is constantly
chasing the other. I can't figure out whether it's aggression or mating
behavior. Will this stress out the chasee, and would a third fish help?
(Assuming I can keep it in the barrel and off the concrete.)

Yes, they are frisky little fish. Our's chase each other all the time
but we've never noticed that to be a problem nor have we seen any fry,
at least not yet. In fact, two of them are "missing" right now. We see
them every now and then so maybe because it's close to spring and the
water is getting warmer they're doing the fish thing.

--
Deja Moo: I've seen this bullshit before.

My address has been anti-spammed.
Please reply to: replacing invalid with sonic.

I don't know what calander you use, but mine says that it is spring already.
The green water should be a clue. If you had fish jumping out before, and
replaced them with more fish, who are now jumping out, you likely have water
quality problem. I would do at least a 50% water change immediately, followed
by a 10% change in about a week. You need to get whatever (probably ammonia or
very high nitrates) is irritating them out of the water. You probably also need
to add more water flow/aeration, at a minimum. Is your pond filtered? Another
possibility is that they are mating (yes, it's just about that time of year).

Old 06-04-2005, 08:29 AM
Elaine T

George wrote:

I don't know what calander you use, but mine says that it is spring already.
The green water should be a clue. If you had fish jumping out before, and
replaced them with more fish, who are now jumping out, you likely have water
quality problem. I would do at least a 50% water change immediately, followed
by a 10% change in about a week. You need to get whatever (probably ammonia or
very high nitrates) is irritating them out of the water. You probably also need
to add more water flow/aeration, at a minimum. Is your pond filtered? Another
possibility is that they are mating (yes, it's just about that time of year).

Thanks. It's definately spring here. I'm in zone 10.
Lessee...

I tested and water is 0/0/5 ammonia/nitrite/nitrate, pH 7.0. I seeded
bacteria from my indoor fish tanks and added a lot of plants at the
start so I never really saw any ammonia or nitrites. Gambusia to went
in about 6 weeks ago, and I added some white clouds 4 weeks ago. The
white clouds have spawned and fry are alive, consistent with very good
water quality.

Volume is approx. 70 gallons across 3 whisky barrels connected with DIY
spillways. The spillways stop about 2" from the water surface to get a
bit of splash, pleasant sound, and good aeration. Circulation is strong
at about 200 gph, filtration is a sponge prefilter over cages of bio balls.

Due to problems with the spillways leaking and having to drain for
repairs, I've been unintentionally changing about 15-20 gallons a week.

I think the green water is from a sudden change to warmer weather and a
lot of sunlight. From what I've been reading, I'll have trouble with
various sorts of algae until about 2/3 of the pond surface is covered
with floating plants or shaded by marginals and they haven't gotten that
far yet.

So, as far as I know there is nothing about the water itself that would
cause a fish to jump out. I've been keeping aquaria for a long time and
understand basic fish needs. However, I'm new to goldfish and ponds.
Do you think one of the jumpers could have been a female without eggs
trying to escape an overly amorous male?

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 06-04-2005, 12:44 PM
~Roy~

Last year I kept having problems with shubunkins jumping out of the
wifes half barrel feature. Water parameters were just fine. I
eventually got tired of finding the fish out of water (seem this one
shubunkin kept pressing his luck with the thought I would always find
it in due time before it was too late) so I put up a small barrier
made out of 1/2" sq plastic mesh. Sort of like a fish fence. It kept
the shubunkins in and eventually I removed it and they stayed put
until I removed them to the larger pond late last year. This year so
far we have two small koi and about 8 or so small feeder type GF in
the two half barrels and none have made any attempts at jumping out.
It seems only the shubunkins ever jumped out. One finsh in particular
must have jumped out at least 7 or 8 times, with a few of those times
I did not think he would make it, but its still doing fine.

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 02:32:45 GMT, Elaine T
wrote:

===Help! My shubunkans are jumping out of my barrel pond. I knew I'd lost
===a shubunkan over vacation but figured it was ammonia or something.
===There was no way to find a corpse in the green water so I didn't know
===what happened. I bought three more and put them in the pond on Friday.
=== All 3 were alive and accounted for Sunday. Today, I could only find
===two. I finally looked on the ground, and there were two dead jumpers.
===

Old 06-04-2005, 03:06 PM
George

"Elaine T" wrote in message
m...
George wrote:

[...]

Well, it is possible that since you only have 70 gallons, that you may have too
many large fish in your barrel pond and they are simply competing for mates and
for space. I have 2 shubukins and have never had a problem with them jumping,
but then, my pond is 12'x4'x45" deep, at around 1200-1400 gallons. In three
years, I've had one goldfish jump out, but that was after a heavy rain storm
last summer when my pond got to about 2 inches from the top. Here is a picture
of my pond that also describes my filtration system:

http://home.insightbb.com/~jryates/filter.htm

Old 06-04-2005, 05:13 PM
Elaine T

wrote:

[...]

I was thinking of a barrier like that. I'll try that first, and if that
fails, I'll separate the fish so they're one to a barrel.

Thanks, Roy and George

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 06-04-2005, 05:46 PM
Elaine T

wrote:

[...]

Well, the fish separated themselves. I came out this morning and the
smaller fish had squeezed herself through the grate on the spillway and
was in the bottom barrel. Guess I'll leave them that way. I've read
that goldies like company, but I guess these two won't be social until
after springtime is over.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 06-04-2005, 06:37 PM
DKat

Does anyone else think that 2 koi and 8 goldfish in 2 half barrels is a lot
of fish per volume? I would think they are jumping out because they don't
have enough territory and are chasing one another. The only thing I have
been able to keep safely in my vase water garden which is about the same
size as a half barrel liner are rosie reds.

Old 06-04-2005, 07:35 PM
Elaine T

DKat wrote:
Does anyone else think that 2 koi and 8 goldfish in 2 half barrels is a lot
of fish per volume? I would think they are jumping out because they don't
have enough territory and are chasing one another. The only thing I have
been able to keep safely in my vase water garden which is about the same
size as a half barrel liner are rosie reds.

Where in the world did you get that idea??? I have 2 gambusia, 4 white
clouds, and 2 shubunkans in THREE half barrels connected by spillways
and well filtered.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 06-04-2005, 10:44 PM
DKat

"Elaine T" wrote in message
DKat wrote:
Does anyone else think that 2 koi and 8 goldfish in 2 half barrels is a
lot of fish per volume? I would think they are jumping out because they
don't have enough territory and are chasing one another. The only thing
I have been able to keep safely in my vase water garden which is about
the same size as a half barrel liner are rosie reds.

Where in the world did you get that idea??? I have 2 gambusia, 4 white
clouds, and 2 shubunkans in THREE half barrels connected by spillways and
well filtered.
__ Elaine T __

So you have six fish in 3 barrels - 2 fish per barrel vs 5 per barrel with 2
of them being Koi....... stikes me as a tad different.

Old 07-04-2005, 06:56 AM
Elaine T

Elaine T wrote:

Well, the fish separated themselves. I came out this morning and the
smaller fish had squeezed herself through the grate on the spillway and
was in the bottom barrel. Guess I'll leave them that way. I've read
that goldies like company, but I guess these two won't be social until
after springtime is over.

*sigh* The saga continues. The second shubunkan squeezed through the
grate as well so both were in the bottom barrel this morning when I fed.
I didn't have time to do anything about it. This afternoon, I came
home to ... you guessed it. Another crispy, dried out fish. *sniffle*
I've had it. That one aggressive shubunkan can stay alone until I
figure out a foolproof way to keep fish out of the spillways and in the
barrel.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 07-04-2005, 04:17 PM
Reel McKoi

"Elaine T" wrote in message
m...
*sigh* The saga continues. The second shubunkan squeezed through the
grate as well so both were in the bottom barrel this morning when I fed.
I didn't have time to do anything about it. This afternoon, I came
home to ... you guessed it. Another crispy, dried out fish. *sniffle*
I've had it. That one aggressive shubunkan can stay alone until I
figure out a foolproof way to keep fish out of the spillways and in the
barrel.

=======================
I was sitting on the porch enjoying the small waterfall in the inground 150
gallon mini-pond when a shubunkin started to try going UP the waterfall.
He/she tried and tried.... looking like a salmon trying to get to it's
breeding grounds. Finally it gave up. Fish do strange things (from a human
point of view).

Over the years I've had several goldfish and one koi commit suicide.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 11-04-2005, 07:13 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

DKat wrote:
So you have six fish in 3 barrels - 2 fish per barrel vs 5 per barrel with 2
of them being Koi....... stikes me as a tad different.

DKat, where are you coming up with koi? She has basically 2 goldfish and 6
minnows, in 3 barrels. ~ jan
~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 11-04-2005, 07:15 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

"Elaine T" wrote in message

*sigh* The saga continues. The second shubunkan squeezed through the
grate as well so both were in the bottom barrel this morning when I fed.
I didn't have time to do anything about it. This afternoon, I came
home to ... you guessed it. Another crispy, dried out fish. *sniffle*
I've had it. That one aggressive shubunkan can stay alone until I
figure out a foolproof way to keep fish out of the spillways and in the
barrel.

Elaine, try fantail goldfish next time. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 12-04-2005, 05:41 AM
Elaine T

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:
"Elaine T" wrote in message

*sigh* The saga continues. The second shubunkan squeezed through the
grate as well so both were in the bottom barrel this morning when I fed.
I didn't have time to do anything about it. This afternoon, I came
home to ... you guessed it. Another crispy, dried out fish. *sniffle*
I've had it. That one aggressive shubunkan can stay alone until I
figure out a foolproof way to keep fish out of the spillways and in the
barrel.

Elaine, try fantail goldfish next time. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

*sigh* I wish I liked fantails. No offense meant to fancy goldfish
fans, but double tailed fish look like mutants to me. I'm not fond of
double tailed bettas either.

However, I did what George suggested and changed half the water. Then I
started filtration over Chemi-pure since none of the usual water tests
indicated any sort of biofiltration problem. After a couple of days of
my last shubunkan staying in the water I bought two more fish (for a
total of 3 shubunkans).

One jumped again, but I found him in time. Next I turned the pump way
down on Carol's suggestion. I thought that was the answer but the same
fish jumped again, and I rescued him again. Finally, now that there's
been chemical filtration for a week or so, the shubunkans are staying in
the pond.

I have no idea what was in that water, but George's guess that it was
something irritating may have been right. Maybe it was a garden
chemical (my landlord has gardeners handle the yard), or something that
the rain brought down. Maybe even outgassing chemicals from new pond
liner or the small amounts of fishtank silicone and reeftank epoxy I
used in the spillways. I have no idea. Anyway, between George and
Carol the current is more appropriate, water is better, and I haven't
had a jumper in a few days so I'm very hopeful.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Need Help Deciding What Kind Of Tree I Need mab Texas 5 16-04-2007 03:10 PM
Suicidal fish :( Dude Ponds 5 12-04-2005 05:53 AM
Suicidal koi on display Phyllis and Jim Hurley Ponds 3 19-07-2003 09:12 PM
Suicidal koi survives...can it grow new scales? Phyllis and Jim Hurley Ponds 13 17-07-2003 06:08 AM
Need desperate help - need to find Seed Aide mulching granules ASAP!!! BillC Gardening 0 06-04-2003 07:08 AM