Old 11-04-2005, 04:00 PM
Sue777

Default Turtle temperatures - did I jump the gun?

Just like I imagine most everyone else, I spent the entire weekend
outdoors getting my ponds into "spring mode". It was wonderful!
Everyone is accounted for and healthy, and it's sooooo nice to have
them back! In addition to the 4,000 gallon koi pond, I also have a
250-gallon turtle pond with adjoining land area. Getting caught up in
the excitement of the warm weather, I cleaned out the pond completely,
taking out all the leaves and dirt that I had put there last fall so
the water turtles and frogs could bury and hibernate. I also removed
the underground "heating pad" that I had kept out there all winter for
my hibernating box turtle. Now I find it's chilly today, and they say
it's going to be chilly for the next week or more. Do i need to go
throw dirt and leaves back into the turtle pond, and bury the heating
pad again???? Can these guys survive these 50 degree days and 30
degree nights for a week? I thought for SURE it was safe to
"un-winterize".
Sue

Old 11-04-2005, 08:12 PM
kathy

If the turtle's body temp goes down too much
the turtle will go back into burmation mode.
Turtles can go in and out of burmation over a winter
depending on the water and air temps.
But, that said, I'm not sure about a turtle who has
had access to a heating pad. This is a new one
on me ;-)
You might try a turtle fanciers internet group or
web page to find real experts.

I know the feeling of trying to get a bit more spring out
of spring when it wants to be blustery instead of
warm!

kathy :-)

www.blogfromthebog.com

Old 11-04-2005, 10:08 PM
Sue777

Thanks, Kathy..... I'm glad to hear they can go in and out of
hibernation..... I was afraid once they came "out", it might be harmful
to go back in and out again so soon. I'm not as much worried about the
spoiled box turtle with the heating pad.... I'll go bury him deep under
the compost and leaves.... he's so lazy he lets me do that for him, and
he stays put til the next morning. It's the poor guys in the water I'm
nervous about.... I had shoveled a bunch of dirt into the deep part of
their pond for winter hibernation, and cleaned it all out yesterday. I
want SPRING!!!

Old 12-04-2005, 12:44 AM

I think I jumped the gun too! With the warmer temps here in Chicago, I
couldn't wait to get a red eared slider to put in my pond. Water temp
was about 61 degrees. My new turtle buried itself in the bottom of the
pond and I haven't seen him since. Is this normal?

Ken

Old 12-04-2005, 02:53 AM
kathy

I'm not sure what the temperatures are exactly that
cause a turtle to start operating at full turtle speed...
he may be just surprised at the move and will come around
when he's ready.

kathy :-)

Old 12-04-2005, 12:21 PM
Sue777

Hi, Ken:
I think your new turtle hid at the bottom both due to the cold and
because he's new. Also, my water turtles ALWAYS sleep buried at the
bottom of the pond, even in the heart of summer, but they sure come up
when I go out with a flashlight and some chicken! Here's hoping all
our turtles survive this prolonged winter!

jump, WHIGGER, jump tp my tune Jasper PNL Mfrg LLCC Ponds 0 21-09-2007 08:40 AM
Seed germination temperatures JB United Kingdom 10 26-02-2005 04:46 PM
Pond Temperatures Steve Ponds 22 27-01-2004 07:27 PM
Lethal temperatures to bugs? Amy Chan Roses 1 12-11-2003 05:12 PM
color temperatures - actinic vs others Pete in the Colorado Mtns Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:17 AM