Old 12-04-2005, 04:09 AM
George

Default Shubunkin Oddity

"Otto Pylot" wrote in message
We installed our pond last July. 1200 gallons, 10x12x2, with a vigouous
4' waterfall meandering down a 6' stream. Lots of rocks with lots of
places for fish to hide. Decent plant coverage with water poppies and
parrot feathers plus a few odds and ends. Water is clear with a hint of
algae. 4 shubunkins (2 "white" and 2 "spotted") and mosquito fish too
numerous to count. The shubunkins have grown quite a lot since last
July.

Hmmm. 10'x12'x2' = 240 ft^3 = 1795.32 gallons. Just so you know

Here's the oddity. About a month ago we noticed that one of the spotted
shubies was missing. A few days later he(she) re-appeared. The
following day, it was gone again. The next day, we watched the other
spotted one go into one of the rock caves. It never came out as far as
we know and it has been almost 2 weeks now since we've seen either one.
The two white ones seemed to get very agitated and chased each other
around the pond more than normal. Then they went into the rock caves
and were gone for a day or two. The other day we watched them
tentatively poke their noses out of the caves and then dash around the
pond and go into the rock caves on the other side. Whenever they came
out, they would always dash around like they were "afraid". They'd eat
and then hide. Today, they were just cruising around the pond like
nothing had ever happened and all was well. We still haven't seen the
two spotted ones. So, did we have a predator (bird) that selectively
ate the two spotted ones and freaked-out the two white ones, are the
two spotted ones "hibernating or incubating" in the caves, or did they
just go in there and die? This is our first season with the pond and
fish so we're not too sure what to expect. Thoughts or suggestions
would be appreciated.

--

Watch for babies in coming next weeks. Your fish may also show up. If not,
suspect predators.

Old 12-04-2005, 05:34 AM
George

"Otto Pylot" wrote in message
In article 1_G6e.6679$xL4.2247@attbi_s72, George
wrote:

"Otto Pylot" wrote in message
We installed our pond last July. 1200 gallons, 10x12x2, with a vigouous
4' waterfall meandering down a 6' stream. Lots of rocks with lots of
places for fish to hide. Decent plant coverage with water poppies and
parrot feathers plus a few odds and ends. Water is clear with a hint of
algae. 4 shubunkins (2 "white" and 2 "spotted") and mosquito fish too
numerous to count. The shubunkins have grown quite a lot since last
July.

Hmmm. 10'x12'x2' = 240 ft^3 = 1795.32 gallons. Just so you know

The 1200 gallons was approximate. I know I didn't make that very clear.
The shape is not rectangular and it is not a uniform 2' deep
throughout.

[...]

I hope you're right. I know the shubunkins are supposed to lay eggs
on the plants but I have no idea what's grown, if anything, in the
caves.

--
Deja Moo: I've seen this bullshit before.

My address has been anti-spammed.
Please reply to: replacing invalid with sonic.

Shubukins are a type of goldfish. My two oldest and largest goldfish hid in the
rocks around the waterfall about this time last year. They finally came out
about 1 week later, with the female quite battered. About a week or so later I
noticed dozens of tiny babies hanging around the rocks around the waterfall.
Eight have survived (which is more than enough). One is a quite beautiful white
and orange (the pattern reminds me of a Pinto horse) with black fringes on
grayish-white fins, while one is solid white (blonde?). The adult male was
white and gold (orange) with a long, frilly caudal fin, while the female was
gold (orange) with a little bit of white on the caudal fin. The rest are solid
orange.

Old 13-04-2005, 02:26 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Chasing in agitation sounds like breeding.

Hiding in rock caves sounds like fear of predators.

It is really unlike goldies to stay in caves. Fear is a best bet. Seen
any predators?

Jim

Old 13-04-2005, 03:36 AM
George

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in message
. ..
Chasing in agitation sounds like breeding.

Hiding in rock caves sounds like fear of predators.

It is really unlike goldies to stay in caves. Fear is a best bet. Seen any
predators?

Jim

Last spring, my two adult goldfish (male and female, disappeared. My waterfall
is built into one end of the pond, with lots of rocks, and lots of nooks and
crannies. After a couple of days, I became concerned about them, so I
dismantled the water fall, and found them hiding in the rocks. I suspected they
were mating so I put the waterfall back together. A few days later, they came
out, with the female quite battered. A week later, I noticed that there were
babies wswimming around in those same rocks. The moral of the story is that if
there are rock hollows available but not many plants, goldfish will use the
rocks as a shelter in which to breed.

Old 18-04-2005, 10:14 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

I was of the impression that they chase and spread eggs (ours appear
to). That would be hard to do in a confined space. Is there any lit
that would describe hidden spawning? It would be interesting to read.

Jim

Old 18-04-2005, 11:34 PM
George

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in message
. ..
I was of the impression that they chase and spread eggs (ours appear to). That
would be hard to do in a confined space. Is there any lit that would describe
hidden spawning? It would be interesting to read.

Jim

I have no idea. All I know is that my male (and several others) chased the
female around for a couple of days. Then the male and female disappeared into
the rocks. When they finally came out, I had baby goldfish swimming around in
the rocks.