Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Iris Cohen

Default An Oddity

Somebody from Israel wrote to rec.gardens asking for the ID of a tree. All he
gave us to go on was a drawing of a samara. I first thought of maples (there
are 2 in Israel), but come to find out it is Tipuana tipu, common name Pride of
Bolivia (although it comes from eastern SA). Belongs to the Papilionaceae, with
yellow pea flowers, & is widely planted in warm countries. Anybody know if
there are any other Papilionaceae that produce samaras or keys? I thought they
all stuck to pods. Never too old to learn something new, as Laun (?) says.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"The trouble with people is not that they don't know but that they know so much
that ain't so."
Josh Billings (Henry Wheeler Shaw), 1818-1885
Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Iris Cohen

Some of them are the spitting image of maple keys, only single. Technically
they are single seeded pods.
Looking at the picture of Tipuana in the field guide, I could see the
relationship. Independent parallel invention.

Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Some of them are the spitting image of maple keys, only single.
Technically they are single seeded pods.

Iris Cohen schreef
Looking at the picture of Tipuana in the field guide, I could see the

relationship. Independent parallel invention.
Iris

+ + +
Quite.
also in Dipterocarpaceae, eg Shorea
and in Sterculiaceae / Malvaceae sl eg Triplochiton scleroxylon
PvR

Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Some of them are the spitting image of maple keys, only single.
Technically they are single seeded pods.

Iris Cohen schreef
Looking at the picture of Tipuana in the field guide, I could see the

relationship. Independent parallel invention.
Iris,

+ + +
Just curious. Does Israel have good field guides? Quality of field guides
varies enormously from country to country. Israel should have the know-how
PvR

Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Frank Reichenbacher

Israel has maples? That's neat. Do you know the Latin names and
distributions by any chance? I live in Arizona, USA, where the southern
limit of the distributions of North American maples is reached just south of
our border with Mexico on the north-facing slopes of 2000+ m mountains. I'd
be interested in the Middle East counterparts. Does Morocco have maples?

Frank

Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Mexico, Morocco and Israel all have maples
The southernmost that Acer reaches is in the Americas and SE Asia,
in both continents it occurs in tropical circumstances.
PvR

Frank Reichenbacher schreef

Old 26-04-2003, 01:28 PM
Frank Reichenbacher

"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote in message
Mexico, Morocco and Israel all have maples
The southernmost that Acer reaches is in the Americas and SE Asia,
in both continents it occurs in tropical circumstances.
PvR

Yes, I knew that Acer is represented in Mexico, but the southernmost limits
of the genus is not far south of the border with the US. The species
represented in Mexico by big-toothed maple (_Acer grandidentatum var.
brachypterum_), boxelder (Acer negundo, at least two varieties), and maybe
by Rocky Mtn. maple (Acer glabrum). I am familiar with all three species in
the field and none occurs in tropical habitats. All are restricted to
temperate environments well above (elevationally-speaking) the tropical
zones.

Hold on, I just searched the NYBG holdings in Mexico and I see that one of
the varieties of A. negundo is an A. n. orizabensis, which I presume came
from the vicinity of Mt. Orizaba, which is well south of the US border. I
stand corrected on that one, however, I suspect it was collected at high
elevations in a temperate habitat.

Thanks!

Frank

Old 26-04-2003, 01:28 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

If you are interested in detail the easiest thing to do would be to dig out
'Maples_of_the_World' which is pretty complete.

Of course it is true that whenever temperate genera occur in the tropics
they will tend to be restricted to the mountains. Some caution is required
in generalizing.
PvR

"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote
[...]

B&S 5 hp pull clutch replacement oddity MrMoto Lawns 1 21-02-2009 12:29 AM
Oddity! Diana Kulaga[_5_] Orchid Photos 17 11-07-2008 05:05 AM
Another S. African oddity -- Larryleachia? Malcolm Manners Plant Science 1 17-10-2005 12:17 PM
Shubunkin Oddity George Ponds 5 18-04-2005 11:34 PM
magpie oddity? dunno never seen this before len gardener Australia 11 27-10-2004 12:40 AM