Old 13-04-2005, 01:34 PM
Sue Begg

Default Advice on puddling a new pond

Hi, It's time to de-lurk :-)
I wondered if anyone had any suggestions (polite ones)
I am in North East Scotland (Just above Aberdeen)
I am in the process of turning an acre and a half of field into a
garden. As well as wild areas I want to include a pond.
I started digging this pond last year and the soil is mainly sand and
gravel
once you get below the top 2ft. The hole that was dug is probably about
8ft
deep (it was actually dug for another reason but I might as well use it
now
it's there) not only is there not a drop of water in it but sand
martins have
colonised the banking.
I have altered the design to include a cliff face for the martins and
will vary
the depth of the pond to include a beach and hopefully a boggy area (I
want Gunnera!) The pond will be about 60ft diameter It will be fed from
trickling spring.
Does anyone know where to send me for advice about lining this pond with
clay to keep the water in. I need to know how thick it needs to be
because
I want extensive planting and don't know if roots will cause a leak if
they
penetrate the clay through to the sand.
Thanks in advance for any help and sorry if the post is a bit long
--
Sue Begg.
Remove my clothes to reply

Do not mess in the affairs of dragons - for
you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
Old 13-04-2005, 02:33 PM
Bonnie NJ

I have no advice for you, but I'd love to visit when it's completed ;-)

--
Bonnie
NJ
"Sue Begg" wrote in message
[...]
want Gunnera!) The pond will be about 60ft diameter It will be fed from a

Old 13-04-2005, 03:50 PM

I would forget about lining the pond with clay and just purchase a
Rubber EPDM Pond Liner and underlayment and be done with it. If I were
you I would cut out shelves on the edges of the hole and use that
material to make the pond shallower. 8 ft. deep is very, very deep for
a koi/plant pond and will be very hard to keep clean.

Paul
www.pondkoi.com

Old 13-04-2005, 05:48 PM
kathy

Hi Sue!
Welcome to rec.ponds!

I found this really interesting site
http://handbooks.btcv.org.uk/handboo...t/section/2443
and there are about 455 hits here
http://ihmp.net/@/iga
or here
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...oogle+Searc h

I would love to be in your shoes someday.
Watch out, someday Bonnie and I may show up on your doorstep.

kathy :-)

www.blogfromthebog.com

Old 14-04-2005, 05:39 PM
Sue Begg

In message .com,
kathy writes
Hi Sue!
Welcome to rec.ponds!

I found this really interesting site
http://handbooks.btcv.org.uk/handboo...t/section/2443
and there are about 455 hits here
http://ihmp.net/@/iga
or here
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...g+pond+how+thi
ck+clay&btnG=Google+Search

I would love to be in your shoes someday.
Watch out, someday Bonnie and I may show up on your doorstep.

kathy :-)

www.blogfromthebog.com

Thanks Kathy they were really helpful. I just need to hire a flock of
sheep or a tribe of schoolkids now :-))