Old 06-02-2003, 06:52 PM
Don Lasko

Default Question joining 2 ponds

Wanted to add another pond this Spring. Not sure if I want a 2" pipe that
can be closed to keep both waters separate or a 4 foot open connection with
a bridge.

Pond 1 2800 gal. with koi. Pond 2 to be for plants about 800 gal.

Thought if I kept them separate, I could salt or medicate the koi area and
not hurt the plants.

Which configuration would be most practical?

Also, would I need to seam the two liners?

Old 07-02-2003, 02:49 AM
Howard

If the plant pond is higher then the fish you could setup the plumbing such
that you filter the water from the fish pond and pump it back into the plant
pond.
Let the plant pond overflow into the fish pond. Install a cutout in the
pipe from
the filter to the plant pond so that you can divert the water into the fish
pond
thus bypassing the plant pond. This would also allow you to use the plant
pond as a veggi filter to help out the fish.

Howard

Old 07-02-2003, 09:37 PM
Hal

On Thu, 6 Feb 2003 13:52:20 -0500, "Don Lasko"
wrote:

Wanted to add another pond this Spring. Not sure if I want a 2" pipe that
can be closed to keep both waters separate or a 4 foot open connection with
a bridge.

You didn't say how much water you are pumping, but a 2" pipe gravity
flow between the two ponds will be disappointing if you are pumping
more than 1200 gph. I tried that and it won't work. Start with
the amount of water you are moving and then pick a pipe size.

Pond 1 2800 gal. with koi. Pond 2 to be for plants about 800 gal.

Thought if I kept them separate, I could salt or medicate the koi area and
not hurt the plants.

True, but you would have two separate ponds. Some people say it
works better to medicate out of the pond and I don't keep salt over
..1% and plants tolerate that well.

Which configuration would be most practical?

The one that makes you happy. Practical only enters my mind when I
buy expensive parts. Either way seems workable to me.

Also, would I need to seam the two liners?

Yes, if you build the plant pond higher than the fish pond and make a
stream between. You might also consider what is going to happen when
the fish eat or spawn on the plants if they can get to them.

Regards,

Hal

Joining Permalon???? Everwyrd Ponds 3 06-08-2004 07:02 PM
Joining liner to extend edging Sue Alexandre Ponds 0 03-06-2003 04:08 AM
Joining liner? Sue Alexandre Ponds 6 22-05-2003 07:20 PM
Anyone in Germantown/Gaithersburg, MD interested in joining a native plants/edible herbs group? Barbara Plant Science 3 06-05-2003 04:08 PM
Science, ag joining hands - Researcher gets to the very roots of plant nutrition Aozotorp sci.agriculture 0 26-04-2003 12:28 PM