Old 24-04-2005, 07:50 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Default Name of Black/Dark Algae on side of pond?

Our cement pond runs a steady coat of dark black/bule algae that nicely
hides all colors. People have named it from time to time. Can anyone
help us out?

Thanks

Jim

Old 24-04-2005, 07:59 PM
Ron Lawrence KC4YOY

It's substrate algae, this is probably not spelled right.
It's good stuff, don't try to clean it off.

Ron in NC

Old 25-04-2005, 02:11 PM
David

I always hear of bright green algae in the pond NGs and forums, but I
have never seen this one. It seems like a whole 'nother animal. How
common is it, and does anyone know the water parameters and/or
locations that encourage it? (I am enquiring for a friend who thinks
he may have something similar.)
Thank you very much,
David

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 18:59:44 GMT, " Ron Lawrence KC4YOY"
wrote:

It's substrate algae, this is probably not spelled right.
It's good stuff, don't try to clean it off.

Ron in NC

t...

Old 25-04-2005, 07:25 PM
kathy

I did not download, or load, or open the
link. I get nervous when something asks
me to do too much to see a picture or
information (this is entirely 'my problem'
and is usually solved when I can catch
youngest son...)

Substrate algae only means algae that grows
attached to a surface. There are many species
of algae that do this.

This is kind of a fun page
http://ihmp.net/@/vpl
or
http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/inde...ond/algae.html

I would worry about algae when the pond starts giving
off a bad odor, fish are gasping at the surface, fish
are dying or you have a daily appearance of scummy
algae appearing on the surface.

We can never get rid of algae and we don't want to.
But it can get to be a hazard to the pond when it has
too many nutrients - fish waste, rotting plants, too much
over all muck and runoff containing fertilizer.

kathy :-)
www.blogfromthebog.com

Old 25-04-2005, 08:11 PM
Alex Woodward

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in message
Our cement pond runs a steady coat of dark black/bule algae that nicely
hides all colors. People have named it from time to time. Can anyone
help us out?

Thanks

Jim

If you mean 'blue algae', it can be extremely dangerous. It can occur in the
UK and if it forms in lakes etc, the authorities will ban bathing and warn
of its presence.

For more info' here is a link.
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hecs-sesc/wat...reen_algae.htm

Alex

Old 25-04-2005, 09:00 PM
Elaine T

Phyllis and Jim Hurley wrote:
Our cement pond runs a steady coat of dark black/bule algae that nicely
hides all colors. People have named it from time to time. Can anyone
help us out?

Thanks

Jim

Does black brush algae (a freshwater red algae) ever grow in ponds? It
looks like this. http://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/redalgae.html It's
usually pretty true black and the fuzz gets about 2 cm long. In
fishtanks it's a clean water algae and harmless to fish but can cover
slow-growing plants to the point of smothering them

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 26-04-2005, 03:31 AM
Crashj

On or about Sun, 24 Apr 2005 13:50:44 -0500, Phyllis and Jim Hurley
wrote something like:

Our cement pond runs a steady coat of dark black/bule algae that nicely
hides all colors. People have named it from time to time. Can anyone
help us out?

Sure; try "Fred."
--
Crashj
Old 26-04-2005, 03:51 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

I don't think this algae is any sort of problem. It is a short fuzzy or
smoth-ish covering. Maybe 1/4 inch. In the late summer, small patches
of it rise up...air, I am guessing.

Jim

Phyllis and Jim Hurley wrote:
Our cement pond runs a steady coat of dark black/bule algae that nicely
hides all colors. People have named it from time to time. Can anyone
help us out?

Thanks

Jim

Scientific Name Eschsclozia californica COMMON NAME CALIFORNIA POPPY Family Name Papavaraceae Paddy's Pig[_7_] Garden Photos 4 23-03-2011 06:44 PM
Scientific Name Salvia mellifera COMMON NAME BLACK SAGE Family Name Lamiaceae Paddy's Pig[_7_] Garden Photos 1 23-03-2011 08:22 AM
Flowers: side by side mea305 Gardening 1 10-01-2007 02:23 PM
Should I give in to the Dark Side? Mark. Gooley Roses 6 21-12-2003 06:19 PM
south side of a solo tree in open field is the best side Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 2 15-05-2003 02:20 PM