Old 25-04-2005, 04:34 AM
DD DDD

Default How Do You Keep 10,000 worms alive for food

I was given 10,000 redworms and night crawlers from a bait shop. There
in 2 containers in my refrig. The place closed and I got them free. I
cant keep them in there. Can I make a worm garden and just dig for them
when needed for my fish/turtles? Do I need special soil? I have a 4x8
foot area on the side of the house thats just dirt but thats a lot of
worms .. So now what? If I leave them as is they will rot away. I only
feed worms once a week and thats about 20. So I was hoping to have a
endless supply if they multiply. The foundation of the house will keep
them from going away. Anyone have info on this. Thank you

Old 25-04-2005, 05:23 AM
Reel McKoi

"DD DDD" wrote in message
I was given 10,000 redworms and night crawlers from a bait shop. There
in 2 containers in my refrig. The place closed and I got them free. I
cant keep them in there. Can I make a worm garden and just dig for them
when needed for my fish/turtles? Do I need special soil? I have a 4x8
foot area on the side of the house thats just dirt but thats a lot of
worms .. So now what? If I leave them as is they will rot away. I only
feed worms once a week and thats about 20. So I was hoping to have a
endless supply if they multiply. The foundation of the house will keep
them from going away. Anyone have info on this. Thank you

==========================
Why only once a week? How about some every day or twice a day? I would
think they'd do ok for awhile in a damp pile of chopped leaves and other
compost like material. You could add kitchen waste such a lettuce leaves
and spud peelings. Interesting dilemma you have....
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 25-04-2005, 06:03 AM
Elaine T

DD DDD wrote:
I was given 10,000 redworms and night crawlers from a bait shop. There
in 2 containers in my refrig. The place closed and I got them free. I
cant keep them in there. Can I make a worm garden and just dig for them
when needed for my fish/turtles? Do I need special soil? I have a 4x8
foot area on the side of the house thats just dirt but thats a lot of
worms .. So now what? If I leave them as is they will rot away. I only
feed worms once a week and thats about 20. So I was hoping to have a
endless supply if they multiply. The foundation of the house will keep
them from going away. Anyone have info on this. Thank you

http://www.naturenorth.com/fall/ncrawler/ncrawler2.html says night
crawlers are difficult to culture and do better in soil.

http://vermitechnology.com/basics_faq.html has a composting bin method
for red worms. Seems like they'd be easy to culture on kitchen compost
in a bed or tub.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/worms.shtml has a lot of info and links.

--
Elaine T __