Old 26-04-2005, 11:42 PM
Sylvan Butler

Default Speed conrolfor pumps

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 11:40:35 -0400, Gary Lieberman wrote:
I would like to vary the speed of my pump. During the night I would like
to slow the output by 50%. The pump runs on 220 volts. Does anyone have

Does your pump rely on the water for cooling? Running the pump slower,
if that is even possible, may shorten the life of your pump.

Consider buying a smaller pump. Day==big pump, night==small pump.
Redundency, reliability, ...

sdb

sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com
Old 27-04-2005, 03:00 AM
Wilmdale

Sylvan Butler wrote:

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 11:40:35 -0400, Gary Lieberman wrote:

I would like to vary the speed of my pump. During the night I would like
to slow the output by 50%. The pump runs on 220 volts. Does anyone have

Does your pump rely on the water for cooling? Running the pump slower,
if that is even possible, may shorten the life of your pump.

Consider buying a smaller pump. Day==big pump, night==small pump.
Redundency, reliability, ...

sdb

check out the "Money Saver Pumps"

W. Dale
Wilmdale Pond - http://home.pcisys.net/~muaddib

Old 27-04-2005, 05:15 AM
KoiDave

I bought from Money Saver Pumps. I also have an Electrical Engineering
degree. They do work, they do save money. It will cost you $s, but
you can get the speed controlled by a timer.

koiDave

Old 28-04-2005, 09:31 AM
Sean Dinh

I did. Now I must throw away all my Electical Engineering books because
they are all wrong...

Please, save your money for a different con...

Old 29-04-2005, 03:36 PM
Yabbadoo

WHY ?
Economics - saving is insignificant. pennies.
Efficiency - would probably be reduced more than 50% (filtration
exponentially reduced, sediment increased)

A filtration system replicates nature (river flow) which is 24/7.
If you must - why not just use a timer (on 6 hours, off 6 hours)? better
yet - 2 hours on/off sequence to avoid possibility of filter stagnation in
summer months heat?

Hope this helps - Len.

"Gary Lieberman" wrote in message
I would like to vary the speed of my pump. During the night I would like to
slow the output by 50%. The pump runs on 220 volts. Does anyone have
experience with an electronic speed control that could be used with a
timer. Thank you

Old 29-04-2005, 04:46 PM
Derek Broughton

Yabbadoo wrote:

WHY ?
Economics - saving is insignificant. pennies.

You never know. Some of us don't have electricity to spare. In any case,
we need to be encouraging people to save all the pennies they can,
electrically.

If you must - why not just use a timer (on 6 hours, off 6 hours)? better
yet - 2 hours on/off sequence to avoid possibility of filter stagnation in
summer months heat?

Many people would want the sound of moving water all day, but many outdoor
timers can be set to keep it on during the daylight hours, then run it 50%
of the nighttime, so that's a good (and cheap) solution.
--
derek

Self-Propelled mowers -- Single speed vs. Variable speed? Kevin Lawns 2 12-04-2005 01:23 PM
Roller Drums for tissue culture; a question of rotation speed Al Orchids 35 01-02-2004 05:23 PM
variable speed mower? Steve White Gardening 1 13-08-2003 08:02 PM
Koi Growth Speed? Benign Vanilla Ponds 2 01-08-2003 04:22 PM
Toad song begins...crickets on speed Phyllis and Jim Hurley Ponds 7 06-04-2003 09:20 AM