Old 04-05-2005, 01:46 AM
dlg

Default Rose colored growth in pond

I'm not a regular here but thought I could glean some info from the group.

I have a pond in yard that is about 140'x50'x4'deep. It gets little or
no care except we do have add fresh water to it weekly.

It has a growth in it that I have not seen before, pond is 25 yrs. old.
The growth looks like small rose colored cauliflower heads about a 1/4"
in diameter. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dan

Old 04-05-2005, 02:13 AM
kathy

Are these growths above the waterline?
Or where the waterline might have been
before adding the weekly water?

If so, they are apple snail eggs.

kathy :-)
www.blogfromthebog.com
this week ~ turtles!

Old 04-05-2005, 02:24 AM
dlg

kathy wrote:

Are these growths above the waterline?
Or where the waterline might have been
before adding the weekly water?

If so, they are apple snail eggs.

kathy :-)
www.blogfromthebog.com
this week ~ turtles!

They appear to be right at the water line with a small portion above the
water level. They did appear before we added any water this spring. D

Old 04-05-2005, 02:37 AM
kathy

Yup, that sounds like apple snails.

They are considered pets in some aquariums.
They even have their own webpage
http://www.applesnail.net/
for more information.

kathy :-)
www.blogfromthebog.com
this week ~ turtles!

Old 04-05-2005, 02:40 AM
dlg

kathy wrote:

Yup, that sounds like apple snails.

They are considered pets in some aquariums.
They even have their own webpage
http://www.applesnail.net/
for more information.

kathy :-)
www.blogfromthebog.com
this week ~ turtles!

Do I dare ask how to rid the pond of them?

Old 04-05-2005, 03:35 AM
kathy

Remove the eggs and hand pick any snail that you see.
Your pond is rather large though!

Snail killing chemical treatments will harm other living critters in
the
pond.

You can make a snail trap, fill a bucket with lettuce and algae wafers,
suspend in the pond in the evening, by morning, hopefully you will have
caught a bunch of snails.

Most folks do preventive treatments of plants they put
in the pond, as many snails sneak in this way, very small or
as eggs. A weak solution of bleach will work, soak
the plant for 24 hours. Someone have a ratio of bleach
to water? Some folks use potassium permanganate
soaks but that stuff scares me!

k :-)

Old 05-05-2005, 01:44 AM
Elaine T

kathy wrote:
Remove the eggs and hand pick any snail that you see.
Your pond is rather large though!

Snail killing chemical treatments will harm other living critters in
the
pond.

You can make a snail trap, fill a bucket with lettuce and algae wafers,
suspend in the pond in the evening, by morning, hopefully you will have
caught a bunch of snails.

Most folks do preventive treatments of plants they put
in the pond, as many snails sneak in this way, very small or
as eggs. A weak solution of bleach will work, soak
the plant for 24 hours. Someone have a ratio of bleach
to water? Some folks use potassium permanganate
soaks but that stuff scares me!

k :-)

Be far more scared of bleach than potassium permanganate (PP). PP is a
much milder oxidizer than bleach, is easier on the plants, and even fish
can tolerate moderate amounts of it. It's also colored, so you can see
how strong your solution is, and when it's gone. To kill nasties on
plants, make a pink solution - fucshia (sp?) is too strong and purple
WAY too strong, and soak them for 10 minutes. Rinse well, and into the
pond they go. I do this for fishtanks all the time.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 05-05-2005, 02:06 AM
~Roy~

Potassium Permanganaate is hard to beat. best way to have some around
is make a stock solution up. Measure out 285 grams of PP, and add it
to a 1 gal container of distiled water, and mix thouroughly. Put in a
closed container nd keep in a cool dark ploace, and it should last up
to a year or so. When you need a PP dip for something just use the 20
drops equal a Milliliter or 1 cc for a 2PPm ratio for every 10 gal of
water or 1 drop per gal for a 1ppm, 2 drops for a 2 ppm per gal,
3drops for a 3ppm etc etc.....Good for sanitizing nets as well.

PP is not as bad as some would have you to believe. I find there is
much more dangerous chemicals in some of the test kits.....

On Thu, 05 May 2005 00:44:49 GMT, Elaine T
wrote:

===kathy wrote:
=== Remove the eggs and hand pick any snail that you see.
=== Your pond is rather large though!
===

Old 07-05-2005, 12:31 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Hi dlg,

How long are your rose items? Apple snail egg cases are pink-rose,
about 3/8" in diameter and can be 2" long. Phyllis and I have an apple
snail laying eggs on our website. Take a look to be sure before you
treat for snails. The snails themjselves should not be hard to find
either! Let us know if they are in fact apple snail eggs.

Jim