Old 04-05-2005, 06:10 PM
Gary Woods

Default Pond Ruminations on a gloomy day

It's a Celtic thing; sometimes I even dream in minor keys:

I was feeling a bit down today, reasons unimportant and personal, so I took
a walk down to my pond, accompanied by my elderly pathetic dog*. The
weather is unseasonably cold, the skies leaden and featureless. Even the
wooded path through pine trees is silent, monochromatic, and dull. Not
much different from yesterday; the bog iris are sprouting ever so slowly,
and the hardy lilies I re-potted a week or so ago are putting up tentative
leaves to feel for the sunlight that isn't there. Not even warm or buggy
enough to tempt the bass to put on a show.
So, Luka and I just stood quietly by the water's edge doing nothing in
particular.
Then, the only gap in the clouds aligned with what I guess must have been
the sun for about a minute. I saw that the stem from the newly planted
lotus actually does have a leaf trying to unfurl, and the world changed,
briefly, to Kodachrome!
So, spring is out there somewhere, and I'm sure it will show up on its
schedule, not mine. Life's like that too. I just need the occasional
reminder.

Think I'll plant some seeds.

Peace,

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic

*This isn't just my opinion; everybody who sees Luka says, "What a nice
little pathetic dog!"

Old 04-05-2005, 09:51 PM
kathy

Spring has a way of doing that to a person,
thank goodness!

k :-)

Old 04-05-2005, 09:59 PM
kathy

spring does that for a person,
thank goodness!

k :-)

Old 05-05-2005, 03:35 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Hey, Gary, even on a cold, cloudy day, a walk by the pond is better than a
day at WORK. ;-) ~ jan

On Wed, 04 May 2005 17:10:01 GMT, Gary Woods wrote:

[...]

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 05-05-2005, 03:57 AM
kc

Loved that post, Gary! I was wandering down by my pond looking at last
year's (dead) banana tree pot and scraping around in it to see if there was
even a root ball left, and lo and behold--there was one tiny little tiny
banana tree leaf coming up out of the dirt! Yaay!
Kirsten

Old 05-05-2005, 12:47 PM
Bonnie NJ

A walk by the pond always lifts my spirit. Fish seem to come to the surface
and say "Remember me? I'm starting to get hungry!" The weather is still to
cold to feed them - but they are getting ready for the summer feasting.
I must remember to wear my rubber shoes - the grass is usually wet with dew
and my feet get very wet and cold!

--
Bonnie
NJ