Old 21-05-2005, 06:18 PM
Gary Woods

Default Pond Ruminations on a pre-stormy Saturday

It's a strange day out there today- brilliant sun sometimes blocked by big
threatening clouds. Coolish when the sun is covered, warm and nice the
rest of the time.
Luka and I walked down to the pond to see what was about.... spring is
springing all around, and the changeable skies made some achingly beautiful
colors on the new leaves around the water. The unknown lotus from last
year (Not, AFAIK, played by Chuck Barris) is finally putting up some new
shoots. Mrs. Slocum continues to protest the cool spring by ever so
slowly unfurling one leaf and having another at the surface waiting to see
if it's worth the bother.
Redwing Blackbirds viewed me with alarm as they scooted in to their nesting
site somewhere in a big bed of cattails, taking care to land some distance
and travel home under cover. Spooky flurries of ripples kept sweeping
across the water at me, and little splats of raindrops from a black cloud
well to one side of overhead made Disney-perfect rings on the water. They
were so small I couldn't feel anything even turning my face upward, but
there they were.
I'll snap a few pictures the next time Walter deigns to appear; there's no
knowing when that might be.
Rain is promised for this afternoon; I watered the seedling bed just to
make sure it does.

A lovely spring day!