Old 02-03-2003, 03:27 AM
Iris Cohen

Default Gloomy Cities

It's a common experience when we decide to get away on a weekend to start
seeing the sun as soon as we've traveled 30 miles or so, in any direction. My
wife and I always joke about it ("as soon as we leave Pittsburgh, the sun comes
out...")

Syracuse is like that, too. It is supposedly the rainiest/snowiest city of its
size (150,000) in the country. I'm sure Pittsburgh is better than Seattle.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 02-03-2003, 07:05 AM
gregpresley

Here's a list to depress you all:
The 11 drizzliest cities:
Saginaw Mich 181 precipitation days/year
Buffalo NY 168
Syracuse NY 168
Binghampton NY 163
Olympia Wa 163
Seattle Wa 160
Cleveland Oh 156
Akron Oh 153
Burlington Vt 153
Pittsburgh Pa 152
Portland Or 152

Most of the Eastern Cities on this list probably have at least half of their
precipitation days as snow or sleet days. It should be mandatory for people
in any of these cities to spend a week in the desert every winter to remind
themselves of what the sun looks like..........LOL

Old 03-03-2003, 05:15 PM
J Kolenovsky

Just look at all those cities where one could plant "wet feet" native
plants and bog marginals.

=

"Iris Cohen" wrote in message
It's a common experience when we decide to get away on a weekend t=

start
seeing the sun as soon as we've traveled 30 miles or so, in any direc=

tion.
My
wife and I always joke about it ("as soon as we leave Pittsburgh, the=

sun
comes
out...")

Syracuse is like that, too. It is supposedly the rainiest/snowiest ci=

ty of
its
size (150,000) in the country. I'm sure Pittsburgh is better than Sea=

ttle.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"If we see light at the end of the tunnel, It's the light of the onco=

ming
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

-- =

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.celestialhabitats.com - commercial
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html
Old 04-03-2003, 02:03 AM
Pam

Won't work here in Seattle - we may have 160 days a year with precipitation, but
it doesn't amount to much. Average annual rainfall hovers around 30-35 inches -
far less than most areas of the country except the Southwest. Our native plants
tend to prefer summer drought conditions :-))

pam - gardengal

--
J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
τΏτ - http://www.celestialhabitats.com - commercial

[IMG] code is On

Plants for a gloomy greenhouse! Sameagle United Kingdom 2 17-04-2012 10:21 AM
Gloomy Weather 'Mike'[_4_] United Kingdom 1 07-10-2011 05:58 PM
Pond Ruminations on a gloomy day Gary Woods Ponds 6 05-05-2005 12:47 PM
Newbie in Twin Cities TWolf Bonsai 0 24-09-2003 02:10 AM
Pond Supplies in Minnesota (White Bear or Twin Cities) ? Folklore Ponds 2 15-04-2003 03:32 PM