Old 08-05-2005, 05:21 AM
Ann in Houston

Default Hey, Nedra.....

I received two Carolina Queen lotus in a trade and they have very odd
looking tubers. Instead of the long ropey looking tuber, they look
like long, skinny zucchini or something, although they aren't green.
They're actually fat in the middle. They don't look like they would
wrap around the inside of a pot at all. Have you ever seen a lotus like
this? Is there any possiblity that this one could go in a rectangular
container? Maybe I need to send a pic. What do you think?

Old 08-05-2005, 06:56 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On 7 May 2005 21:21:23 -0700, "Ann in Houston" wrote:

I received two Carolina Queen lotus in a trade and they have very odd
looking tubers. Instead of the long ropey looking tuber, they look
like long, skinny zucchini or something, although they aren't green.
They're actually fat in the middle. They don't look like they would
wrap around the inside of a pot at all. Have you ever seen a lotus like
this? Is there any possiblity that this one could go in a rectangular
container? Maybe I need to send a pic. What do you think?

Sounds like a regular lotus tuber to me. I'd use a round pot. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 08-05-2005, 07:04 AM
Reel McKoi

"Ann in Houston" wrote in message
oups.com...
I received two Carolina Queen lotus in a trade and they have very odd
looking tubers. Instead of the long ropey looking tuber, they look
like long, skinny zucchini or something, although they aren't green.
They're actually fat in the middle. They don't look like they would
wrap around the inside of a pot at all. Have you ever seen a lotus like
this? Is there any possiblity that this one could go in a rectangular
container? Maybe I need to send a pic. What do you think?

============================
I have mine in a rectangular pot for several years now. No problems so
far.....
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
EVERYONE: "Please check people's

Old 09-05-2005, 04:54 AM
Ann in Houston

Really, Carol! You're the first person I've ever heard from that used
anything but a round pot. I found out some more info, which leads me
to think I should still use a round one. I was afraid I was being a
real upstart, an iconoclast for even asking about the possibility of
thumbing my nose at such a 'lotus 101" tenet. If I had any kind of
successful track record with these beauties, I might be bold enough to
try, but hopefully that will come later. I'm even wondering if the one
lotus tub I have is big enough. It is only about 6" bigger in diameter
than the length of the tuber. How much do they grow in length over the
course of a season.

Old 09-05-2005, 05:32 AM
Reel McKoi

"Ann in Houston" wrote in message
oups.com...
Really, Carol! You're the first person I've ever heard from that used
anything but a round pot.

** I didn't have a round pot so used what was available. The Lotus is
doing fine.

I found out some more info, which leads me
to think I should still use a round one. I was afraid I was being a
real upstart, an iconoclast for even asking about the possibility of
thumbing my nose at such a 'lotus 101" tenet. If I had any kind of
successful track record with these beauties, I might be bold enough to
try, but hopefully that will come later.

** The only one that every really went wild for us and bloomed it's head
off was one let loose in my 800 gallon pond. When let loose like that -
these plants get HUGE. It circled the ponds several times rooting anywhere
it could. It about took over the whole pond by the 3 or 4th year and had to
be removed. It's now growing outside the ponds in a 20 gallon rec' tub.

I'm even wondering if the one
lotus tub I have is big enough. It is only about 6" bigger in diameter
than the length of the tuber. How much do they grow in length over the
course of a season.

** You need a very large tub if you hope to get flowers and a lot of pretty
leaves. They're also heavy feeders so feed them well. Mine grew many feet
each season. It formed runners with leaves and roots as it travels across
or around the pond or kiddy pool. It'll root anywhere it can. Again, those
150 gallon kiddy pools are excellent for Lotus if you can dig one into the
ground for it (use a black liner and fill the pool with good clay soil.
Surround with rock like a regular pond.) Make sure to leave room for
several inches of water over the soil. I'll be moving mine into one some
time this summer. I'll just let it run out of the tub and into the soil in
the kiddy pool.

Old 09-05-2005, 06:22 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On 8 May 2005 20:54:23 -0700, "Ann in Houston"
wrote:

I'm even wondering if the one
lotus tub I have is big enough. It is only about 6" bigger in diameter
than the length of the tuber. How much do they grow in length over the
course of a season.

I buy black plastic oil drainage pans from Walmart under $4. I think the
diameter is 18". Also plastic grain tubs (for horses) 20" diameter work
well also. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 09-05-2005, 03:33 PM
Derek Broughton

Ann in Houston wrote:

Really, Carol! You're the first person I've ever heard from that used
anything but a round pot. I found out some more info, which leads me
to think I should still use a round one. I was afraid I was being a
real upstart, an iconoclast for even asking about the possibility of
thumbing my nose at such a 'lotus 101" tenet. If I had any kind of
successful track record with these beauties, I might be bold enough to
try, but hopefully that will come later. I'm even wondering if the one
lotus tub I have is big enough. It is only about 6" bigger in diameter
than the length of the tuber. How much do they grow in length over the
course of a season.

hmm. I put about 2 - 3 feet of lotus tuber in the bath tub. But since the
bath tub freezes solid, I wanted it out in the fall. I must have removed
about 10' of lotus tuber. It had pretty much wound three times round the
tub.
--
derek

Hey, Nedra.....Are you here? Ann in Houston Ponds 20 20-05-2005 10:39 PM
From Nedra Bonnie Espenshade Ponds 0 16-06-2003 08:00 PM
for the birds & bigger koi = Nedra ~ Windsong ~ Ponds 0 25-04-2003 05:56 AM
Nedra/Lotus question Lee Brouillet Ponds 5 31-03-2003 07:08 PM
Mad & Nedra jammer Ponds 2 22-03-2003 04:56 AM