Old 11-05-2005, 07:39 PM
Gareee©

Default Damned snake!

I saw him in the pond today, with his teeth sunk into the neck of one of my
big frogs.

I *so* want rid of him, and suspect that's why I haven't seen my fish for a
month now.. either he ate them, or spooked them.

Only thing I can think of is to drain 80% of the water out, and see if I can
get rid of him then, but there's no guarantee, and I don;t want to damage my
pond plants, and hurt any fish/pond life remaining by replacing that much
water at one time.

--
Gareee's Homepage:
http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine.../mainframe.htm

Remove Delicious spam to reply

Old 11-05-2005, 08:13 PM
Reel McKoi

"Gareee©" wrote in message
I saw him in the pond today, with his teeth sunk into the neck of one of

my
big frogs.

I *so* want rid of him, and suspect that's why I haven't seen my fish for

month now.. either he ate them, or spooked them.

==========================
Another will come and take it's place - been there, seen that.... over and
over again. :-(
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
before flushing." :-)

Old 11-05-2005, 09:13 PM
~Roy~

I have had good luck trapping snakes with those monnow traps that are
like two funnels end to end made of plastic or metal mesh. I found
this out by accident while gathering up some gambusia to feed my large
mouth bass and warmouth that I keep in a tank. I had a bunch of small
common water snakes (usually I have to deal with cotton mouths) and it
seemed one by one thy would go in the minnow trap after any minnows in
there and get stupid and not find their way out. I removed 7 of them
that way over the pewriod of about 9 or 10 days.

You can get those monnow traps at Wal MArt for under 5 or 6
bucks...may hhave to get a small feeder type goldie as bait, but I
htink it would be better than drainin g the pond down that much, and
even then there is no guarantee it will stay in the pond while your
draining it........

The way some individuals make it sound there is a continual lineup
outside your property line waiting to take their turns at your
fish.......it may seem that way, but there just is not hordes of any
critters waiting to fill a vacancy.

On Wed, 11 May 2005 14:39:08 -0400, "Gareee©"
wrote:

===I saw him in the pond today, with his teeth sunk into the neck of one of my
===big frogs.
===

Old 11-05-2005, 10:27 PM
Gareee©

"~Roy~" wrote in message

I have had good luck trapping snakes with those monnow traps that are
like two funnels end to end made of plastic or metal mesh. I found
this out by accident while gathering up some gambusia to feed my large
mouth bass and warmouth that I keep in a tank. I had a bunch of small
common water snakes (usually I have to deal with cotton mouths) and it
seemed one by one thy would go in the minnow trap after any minnows in
there and get stupid and not find their way out. I removed 7 of them
that way over the pewriod of about 9 or 10 days.

Hmmm maybe that's a possibility... can you get them at Wal-Mart?

Can't hurt, and I can relocate the snake somewhere where he won't return
again.

Old 11-05-2005, 10:43 PM
kathy

We used to have a ponder on rec.ponds named
Elizabeth. She was in Baton Rouge or New Orleans.
She used minnow traps also to catch water snakes.

good luck!

kathy :-)

www.blogfromthebog.com

Old 11-05-2005, 11:27 PM
~Roy~

Hmmmmmmmm, in all the years I have been using usenet and Agent for a
reader/ poster I have never had it clip or snip off a post I made.
Here is the same post I made earlier but hoefull its all in tact this
time. I thought I had mentioned in it about the traps being at Wal
MArt, so I checked my sent messages, and sure enough I ws not
dreaming.....

I have had good luck trapping snakes with those monnow traps that are
like two funnels end to end made of plastic or metal mesh. I found
this out by accident while gathering up some gambusia to feed my large
mouth bass and warmouth that I keep in a tank. I had a bunch of small
common water snakes (usually I have to deal with cotton mouths) and it
seemed one by one thy would go in the minnow trap after any minnows in
there and get stupid and not find their way out. I removed 7 of them
that way over the pewriod of about 9 or 10 days.

You can get those minnow traps at Wal MArt for under 5 or 6
bucks...may hhave to get a small feeder type goldie as bait, but I
think it would be better than draining the pond down that much, and

Old 11-05-2005, 11:47 PM
Gareee©

"kathy" wrote in message
ups.com...
We used to have a ponder on rec.ponds named
Elizabeth. She was in Baton Rouge or New Orleans.
She used minnow traps also to catch water snakes.

good luck!

Thanks. Even though our fish are just large goldfish, we still don't want
to loose them.

Old 12-05-2005, 12:00 AM
Gareee©

"~Roy~" wrote in message
[...]

Ah, that complete post helps a bit more! Guess it's time for a trip to
walmart.

Old 12-05-2005, 05:51 PM
BenignVanilla

"Gareee©" wrote in message
I saw him in the pond today, with his teeth sunk into the neck of one of

my
big frogs.

I *so* want rid of him, and suspect that's why I haven't seen my fish for

month now.. either he ate them, or spooked them.

Only thing I can think of is to drain 80% of the water out, and see if I

can
get rid of him then, but there's no guarantee, and I don;t want to damage

my
pond plants, and hurt any fish/pond life remaining by replacing that much
water at one time.

I rid myself of a snake, when I caught him eating a frog. I was able to get
close to him, and stroke his back. He spit the frog out, and left. We have
not seen him since.

This year we have a few bull frogs that are probably at some point going to
swallow my 4 year old whole, so I think the snakes have met their match.

--
BV
http://www.iheartmypond.com

Old 12-05-2005, 06:01 PM
kathy

BV wrote I was able to get
close to him, and stroke his back. He spit the frog out,

AK! ak! ak!
shiver..... okay, got the heebie jeebies worked out
of my system.

How did you know to do that??!!

k :-)

white snake - white snake.jpg Persephone Garden Photos 1 26-04-2007 10:54 PM
Water Snake = Grass Snake? Terry Pinnell United Kingdom 1 15-06-2005 09:11 AM
Damned snake II Gareee© Ponds 10 15-05-2005 05:05 PM
Snake--- cool snake story... Gareee© Ponds 0 04-05-2004 02:02 PM
Snake Traps [safe for you & wont harm the snake] james North Carolina 0 26-04-2003 02:56 AM