Old 14-05-2005, 04:23 PM
Reel McKoi

wrote in message
ups.com...
Last week I wrote to Scott's who makes a wide variety of chemicals and
fertilizers. Here is what they replied to my question about
Miracle-Gro.

===================
I myself use the Jobe spikes and know they are safe to use in the potted
pond plant's containers. I'm sure if they were unsafe the tender young fry
and newborn toads and frogs would be sickened or killed. I personally never
used any other spikes around my fish and ponds. I've used Miracle Grow
powder in some plant propagation tanks and the snails weren't harmed but
there were no fish in them at the time. But now I wont do that either if it
may be unsafe for water creatures.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
EVERYONE:

Old 14-05-2005, 08:31 PM

thanks for all the replies guys!

i went to my local garden center and eventually found jobe sticks for
roses... that was after i purchased the $28 10-14-8 "pond" fertilizer.
arg. i didn't feel like exchanging it so i just stuck with it. they
were charging $8.99 for a 10 pack in a little baggie or $28 for 100. i
belive they are laguna brand. they have a decent macro ratio and all
the micros. they should last for a season.

i made sure all of my unfertilized plants got some. the lotus is
starting to send leaves to the surface. i've never had one before and
am very excited! i put 5 tabs in each lotus tubs (2sq ft area each).

i'm going to pick up the rose sticks as soon as i run out of pellets.
they come in big packages and are cheap.

Old 14-05-2005, 10:18 PM
Reel McKoi

wrote in message
oups.com...
thanks for all the replies guys!

i went to my local garden center and eventually found jobe sticks for
roses... that was after i purchased the $28 10-14-8 "pond" fertilizer.
arg. i didn't feel like exchanging it so i just stuck with it. they
were charging $8.99 for a 10 pack in a little baggie or $28 for 100. i
belive they are laguna brand. they have a decent macro ratio and all
the micros. they should last for a season.

i made sure all of my unfertilized plants got some. the lotus is
starting to send leaves to the surface. i've never had one before and
am very excited! i put 5 tabs in each lotus tubs (2sq ft area each).

i'm going to pick up the rose sticks as soon as i run out of pellets.
they come in big packages and are cheap.

===========================
And they sure make Lotus grow and water lilies bloom! :-) Remember to
break then into thirds or quarters.

Old 15-05-2005, 03:26 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Fri, 13 May 2005 12:11:42 -0400, Disciple wrote:

Does anyone have practical experience with using Miracle-Gro© plant spikes
in their pond? What the wife has is 6-12-6, and the nitrogen content does
not mention anhydrous ammonia as mentioned by Charles.

Spikes or just the little sticks? I've used the Spikes, no problem. Also
used the little sticks, but they're not as nice as the spikes and tend to
break when inserted into the soil.

As far as a rep telling one not to use something, this is because they have
not done the testing to make sure it is safe in aquatic situations.
Pesticide & fertilizer companys have to play it safe. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 15-05-2005, 02:27 PM

yeah i don't think those sticks would be any good, they seem to
dissolve too easily. the spikes are nice and hard. no chance of those
turning into mush.

Old 20-05-2005, 10:37 PM
Windsong

And they sure make Lotus grow and water lilies bloom! :-) Remember to
break then into thirds or quarters.

As well as wacky weed.