Old 12-05-2005, 03:03 AM

Default fertilizers for aquatic plants?

my local garden center sells specilized pond ferts for $10 a bag. it
contains 10 tabs which obvious don't last long. in the plants they
sells i see regular tiny marble sized ferts. this is what i intend to
use this season because i can by a 10lb bag of that stuff for $10.

what should i get? i'm guessing a 10-10-10 mix with all the micro's.
any recomendations on which brand? should it be water soluable or not?

thanks.

Old 12-05-2005, 03:37 AM
Reel McKoi

wrote in message
ups.com...
my local garden center sells specilized pond ferts for $10 a bag. it
contains 10 tabs which obvious don't last long.

* That's a rip-off. Use Jobes Rose spikes broken into thirds or fourths.
Push them into the soil and cover with more soil - add gravel to keep soil
in place.

in the plants they
sells i see regular tiny marble sized ferts. this is what i intend to
use this season because i can by a 10lb bag of that stuff for $10.

* Tiny marble size ferts??? What is the name of the product?

--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
before flushing." :-)

Old 12-05-2005, 05:35 PM
San Diego Joe

" wrote:

my local garden center sells specilized pond ferts for $10 a bag. it
contains 10 tabs which obvious don't last long. in the plants they
sells i see regular tiny marble sized ferts. this is what i intend to
use this season because i can by a 10lb bag of that stuff for $10.

what should i get? i'm guessing a 10-10-10 mix with all the micro's.
any recomendations on which brand? should it be water soluable or not?

thanks.

I'd search on the web for the specialized pellets, that's way too much. You
can also use "Tomato stakes." I forget the exact formulation, but they are
perfect and very cheap.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.

"We need to make a sacrifice to the pond gods, find me a young virgin... oh,
and bring something to kill"

Old 12-05-2005, 06:31 PM
Reel McKoi

"San Diego Joe" wrote in message
" wrote:
I'd search on the web for the specialized pellets, that's way too much.

You
can also use "Tomato stakes." I forget the exact formulation, but they are
perfect and very cheap.

===========================
It seems everything developed and sold for ponds and pond fish is
overpriced - from the foods we feed them to the soils and fertilizers for
pond plants. Most can be substituted with much cheaper products. :-)
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
EVERYONE: "Please check people's

Old 12-05-2005, 06:42 PM
~Roy~

Tomatoe stakes work great...IMHO much better than the rose stakes.
I have also used the shrub and ornamental stakes as well with god
results.

On Thu, 12 May 2005 09:35:02 -0700, San Diego Joe
wrote:

===

Old 12-05-2005, 07:30 PM
Charles the baby crusher Paisley

If you use the stakes as suggested by others check what the source is
for the nitrogen.. I didn't when I tried it...

Turns out the source was anhydrous ammonia ..(SP)

when I went out to the pond with my morning coffee the next day the
fish were fighting to get directly under the waterfall ... fortunately
I knew exactly what that meant and was able to keep them alive.

Old 13-05-2005, 04:24 AM
Reel McKoi

"Charles the baby crusher Paisley" wrote in message
oups.com...
If you use the stakes as suggested by others check what the source is
for the nitrogen.. I didn't when I tried it...
Turns out the source was anhydrous ammonia ..(SP)
when I went out to the pond with my morning coffee the next day the
fish were fighting to get directly under the waterfall ... fortunately
I knew exactly what that meant and was able to keep them alive.

================================
Jobe's Rose spikes are safe for pond plants. I've used them for several
years now. I'm sure some fertilizers are *not* safe. Thanks for the
warning. :-)
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
before flushing." :-)

Old 13-05-2005, 04:05 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On 12 May 2005 11:30:34 -0700, "Charles the baby crusher Paisley" wrote:

If you use the stakes as suggested by others check what the source is
for the nitrogen.. I didn't when I tried it...

Jobe's tomato spikes (I use the ones that look like little torpedoes, about
twice the size of a "suppository" and slip into the dirt as easy) have the
same make up as Jobe's pond spikes, only half the price.

We all know putting a picture of a pond on a box costs the manufacturer
more than a rose picture, right?

The important thing is the middle number for blooms. Jobe's tom. spikes are
8-24-8. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 13-05-2005, 04:26 PM
2pods

We all know putting a picture of a pond on a box costs the manufacturer
more than a rose picture, right?

The important thing is the middle number for blooms. Jobe's tom. spikes
are
8-24-8. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Hi Jan

What do the numbers (8-24-8) etc mean ?
Is it something like the ratio of ingredients/minerals, etc ?

Peter

Old 13-05-2005, 04:31 PM
Reel McKoi

"2pods" wrote in message
We all know putting a picture of a pond on a box costs the manufacturer
more than a rose picture, right?

The important thing is the middle number for blooms. Jobe's tom. spikes
are
8-24-8. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Hi Jan

What do the numbers (8-24-8) etc mean ?
Is it something like the ratio of ingredients/minerals, etc ?

======================
Yes. Nitrogen-Phosphorus-Potash. The rest is filler. So the higher the
numbers the more fertilizer and the less filler.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
before flushing." :-)

Old 13-05-2005, 04:54 PM
Hal

On 11 May 2005 19:03:37 -0700, "
wrote:

my local garden center sells specilized pond ferts for $10 a bag. it
contains 10 tabs which obvious don't last long. in the plants they
sells i see regular tiny marble sized ferts. this is what i intend to
use this season because i can by a 10lb bag of that stuff for $10.

what should i get? i'm guessing a 10-10-10 mix with all the micro's.
any recomendations on which brand? should it be water soluable or not?

I prefer garden soil 40lbs for $1. I also prefer 15-30-15 for
blooming plants. Most of the time I have to compromise and pick the
highest middle number available, but close works.

A high first number (nitrogen) is best for corn and grasses. Too
much nitrogen on a blooming plant sometimes cause them to grow a lot
of foliage and not many blooms.

A high second number (phosphorous) blooming plants.

A 1-1-1 configuration or equal parts is a general fertilizer. BTW the
third part is potash and all plants use a bit of that to better use
the others. In ponds muriate of potash is sometimes added to help
yellowing plants pick up and use the available nitrates and
phosphates.

Water soluble is a bit confusing. Generally, plants get their
nutrients in the water they take in. I thought water soluble
fertilizer was the type mixed in water and poured over terrestrial
plants.
I'd get sticks. They come in different mixes, so read the numbers and
pick the one you like. They also come in longer lasting type
fertilizers that only have to be used once a season, but those are
more expensive.

Regards,

Hal
Old 13-05-2005, 07:04 PM
Reel McKoi

"Disciple" wrote in message
Does anyone have practical experience with using Miracle-Gro© plant spikes
in their pond? What the wife has is 6-12-6, and the nitrogen content does
not mention anhydrous ammonia as mentioned by Charles.

========================
I would think you could smell the ammonia exiting the spikes if they
contained it.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
before flushing." :-)

Old 13-05-2005, 09:11 PM
Landsend

If the tomoto spikes are used to fertilize aquatic plants, will this affect
the safety/health of a few goldfish in the pond?
Thanks.

Old 13-05-2005, 09:35 PM
Reel McKoi

"Landsend" wrote in message
If the tomoto spikes are used to fertilize aquatic plants, will this

affect
the safety/health of a few goldfish in the pond?
Thanks.

=======================
Probably not. The Jobe products seem safe for even baby fish.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
before flushing." :-)

Old 14-05-2005, 02:32 PM

Last week I wrote to Scott's who makes a wide variety of chemicals and
fertilizers. Here is what they replied to my question about
Miracle-Gro.

Hello,

It is safe to use Miracle Gro All Purpose Plant Food near a body of
water, but not in the water.

The nutrients in Miracle-Gro are, in general, are toxic to fish. They
upset the ionic balance of the metabolic system.

I would suggest you contact your local county extension agent for
recommendations regarding aquatic life. The number should be listed in
your telephone directory under "County Offices".

Again, thank you for your interest in Miracle Gro. Please feel free to
contact our company anytime wemay be of assistance.

Kathy Obenour
Consumer Response Representative
The Scotts Company and Subsidiaries
14111 Scottslawn Road