Old 13-05-2005, 01:58 PM
pete

Default string algae

I have a 250 gallon water garden, using a pre-formed pond liner. I gave
the pond its spring cleaning about a month ago, re-filled it as I usually
do, using part well water, part rain water. I have had string algae every
year in the past, but not to any great extent. This year, it is threatening
to take over the pond. It is clinging to the sides of the pond, looks like
it is already three or four inches thick. It is covering the bottom of the
pond, and clinging to every object in the pond, water lilies, etc. I have
lots of plants, a barley pad in place - in short, doing things the way I
have done them every year, but the algae is unbelievable. Any suggestions as
to how to get rid of it ? A few years ago I read about using a solution of
hydrogen peroxide, I think, but I cannot find the article. I would
appreciate any suggestions you can offer. Thanks. Pete

Old 13-05-2005, 02:25 PM
George

"pete" wrote in message
I have a 250 gallon water garden, using a pre-formed pond liner. I gave the
pond its spring cleaning about a month ago, re-filled it as I usually do,
using part well water, part rain water. I have had string algae every year in
the past, but not to any great extent. This year, it is threatening to take
over the pond. It is clinging to the sides of the pond, looks like it is
already three or four inches thick. It is covering the bottom of the pond, and
clinging to every object in the pond, water lilies, etc. I have lots of
plants, a barley pad in place - in short, doing things the way I have done
them every year, but the algae is unbelievable. Any suggestions as to how to
get rid of it ? A few years ago I read about using a solution of hydrogen
peroxide, I think, but I cannot find the article. I would appreciate any
suggestions you can offer. Thanks. Pete

Add some Aquazyme or similar product to the water as directed. The enzymes and
microbes will help breakdown and remove the nutrients in the water and cause the
string algae to die off. If you have fish in the poond, you may consider
whether you have too many, or are feeding them too much. The thing to remember
with string algae is patience. You just cleaned and filled your pond with new
water, so you will have an algae bloom. Keep at it, keep debris out of the
pond, add the Aquazyme, and watch it slowly clear up (about a month). For time
being, you are stuck with 'fishing' it out. It does make good fertilizer for
your land plants.

Old 15-05-2005, 04:06 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

What is your ammonia, nitrite, pH, KH, readings? How many fish, what kinds,
how big? ~ jan

On Fri, 13 May 2005 12:58:28 GMT, "pete" wrote:

I have a 250 gallon water garden, using a pre-formed pond liner. I gave
the pond its spring cleaning about a month ago, re-filled it as I usually
do, using part well water, part rain water. I have had string algae every
year in the past, but not to any great extent. This year, it is threatening
to take over the pond. It is clinging to the sides of the pond, looks like
it is already three or four inches thick. It is covering the bottom of the
pond, and clinging to every object in the pond, water lilies, etc. I have
lots of plants, a barley pad in place - in short, doing things the way I
have done them every year, but the algae is unbelievable. Any suggestions as
to how to get rid of it ? A few years ago I read about using a solution of
hydrogen peroxide, I think, but I cannot find the article. I would
appreciate any suggestions you can offer. Thanks. Pete

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~