Old 15-05-2005, 01:30 AM
gunnar

Default do i clean bio balls

i have a new exterior filter with bio balls as last part of filter gravity
flow system. do i clean off the bio balls when i rinse out the pad filter?

Old 15-05-2005, 02:07 AM
Reel McKoi

"gunnar" wrote in message
i have a new exterior filter with bio balls as last part of filter gravity
flow system. do i clean off the bio balls when i rinse out the pad filter?

=====================
I have a similar set-up and YES, I do hose them off when I clean the filter
pads. I dump them into a very large plastic flower pot, flush them with the
hose and the scummy stuff runs out the bottom. I return them to the filter
and let it rip......
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
before flushing." :-)

Old 15-05-2005, 02:13 AM
Glenn S.

gunnar wrote:
i have a new exterior filter with bio balls as last part of filter gravity
flow system. do i clean off the bio balls when i rinse out the pad filter?

My pond filter has plastic bio-media also and I usually just rinse them
in a separate bucket of pond water. You don't want to use water that is
too hot or too cold, and since some of the pond water needs to come out
for changing anyway, I just used the water from the pond. Rinse them
then return them to the filter.

--
G.D.Smith
Harpers Ferry, WV

FOR SALE: 2003 Swee****er 22' Pontoon Boat
http://icanhelp56.homestead.com/gs_pontoon01.html

FOR SALE: 1999 Fleetwood Mallard 37' Travel Trailer
http://icanhelp56.homestead.com/Mallard001.html
Old 15-05-2005, 04:44 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sat, 14 May 2005 20:30:33 -0400, "gunnar" wrote:

i have a new exterior filter with bio balls as last part of filter gravity
flow system. do i clean off the bio balls when i rinse out the pad filter?

I wouldn't unless they're covered with muck, in which case I'd get or make
a better pre-filter. Use pond water when cleaning them. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~