Old 01-06-2005, 10:45 AM
The G Man

Default Notice - Pond help required.....

Thanks for all the advice so far - oh, apart from the one about the
bleach and not quitting my day job - very helpful. I can't help being
an amateur at something - after all, isn't that where we all start out
and learn by experience??

To try and answer some of your questions - I can't remember exactly
what I put in last year but they were all oxygenating plants from a
reputable garden centre (World of Water) - I definately put in about 6
bunches of Elodia Crispa (Goldfish Weed) and a water lilly.

Am not 100% sure at the moment how many litres per hour my filter will
process. I assume this is determined by how powerful the pump is? At
the moment I am running it from a small fountain pump but I have
recently purchased a separate pump which delivers 1200 litres per hour
and will dedicate that to the job of keepeing the filter running.

The pond is basically a quarter circle shape which I have lined with
pond liner. The pump is seated on a household brick in the middle. The
edging for the pond is also brick which I have sealed with masonary
paint. I have netting over the top to stop leaves falling in.

It's in a semi-shaded area of the garden - ie. It probably gets about
three hours of sunshine a day.

I live in the north-west of England (between Liverpool & Manchester)
and at the moment the weather is mixed - yesterday was hot & sunny,
today dull with rain. Temperature wise - yesterday was in the mid 70's
- today is a bit colder.

Not sure whether this is a good or bad sign - when I cleaned the pump
the other day I noticed some water snails attached to it (which I put
back in with the pump of course!) Is this a good sign? Also, a big
blood worm came out. Blood worms are one thing I did have a lot of last
year!

If I empty the pond (as suggested) will this not kill the good bacteria
in my filter since I'll have to switch it off for a few hours while I
clean the pond? What about the bit of life I have in the pond?

By the way... I seem to have a mini-cycle going on in the washing up
bowl. Yesterday the water was thick and green - this morning it's a lot
clearer!!

Can someone tell me what a google converter is??

Will do some more tests on the water and post my readings. Are there
any better kits than the test strips?? Also, what are the best plants
to add to a small pond?

--
The G Man
Old 01-06-2005, 03:45 PM
Koi4Me

"The G Man" wrote in message
.. .

Thanks for all the advice so far - oh, apart from the one about the
bleach and not quitting my day job - very helpful. I can't help being
an amateur at something - after all, isn't that where we all start out
and learn by experience??

## Ignore the rude posters using *other people's names* here. :-) That
was a TROLL, not me.

To try and answer some of your questions - I can't remember exactly
what I put in last year but they were all oxygenating plants from a
reputable garden centre (World of Water) - I definately put in about 6
bunches of Elodia Crispa (Goldfish Weed) and a water lilly.

## Odd that the elodia would die. As for the water lily - they need to be
planted in large pots and fertilized regularly to thrive. Still, they
shouldn't have died so quickly. Most places will give you a refund in such
a case. It's possible these plants were infected with some form of rot when
you got them. Elodia needs to be a crisp green and in excellent health when
bought or can fail - it's happened to me. I'm real careful to inspect every
plant I purchase now.

snip

It's in a semi-shaded area of the garden - ie. It probably gets about
three hours of sunshine a day.

## That's not much for pond plants. Before we removed the trees behind the
house my pond plants back there didn't exactly thrive. Water lilies need
at least 6 or more hours of sun to do really well. I have read about some
that will do ok in more shade. I never found any locally. The elodia likes
sun as well.

I live in the north-west of England (between Liverpool & Manchester)
and at the moment the weather is mixed - yesterday was hot & sunny,
today dull with rain. Temperature wise - yesterday was in the mid 70's
- today is a bit colder.

## And our weather has been the same here in Tennessee. :-) It's overcast
here and drizzling lightly.

Not sure whether this is a good or bad sign - when I cleaned the pump
the other day I noticed some water snails attached to it (which I put
back in with the pump of course!) Is this a good sign? Also, a big
blood worm came out. Blood worms are one thing I did have a lot of last
year!

## Bloodworms are harmless. My fish must eat them all as I never see any in
my ponds. I do see an occasional hairworm in the filter material. Snails
are fine - but I think my fish must eat them as well.

If I empty the pond (as suggested) will this not kill the good bacteria
in my filter since I'll have to switch it off for a few hours while I
clean the pond? What about the bit of life I have in the pond?

## If there are no fish in your pond killing the bacteria is not going to
be a problem. The will recover rapidly once you turn it back on again.

By the way... I seem to have a mini-cycle going on in the washing up
bowl. Yesterday the water was thick and green - this morning it's a lot
clearer!!

## I have seen my ponds go clear as gin overnight only to turn green a few
hours after the sun comes up. :-(

Can someone tell me what a google converter is??

## I have no idea.....

Will do some more tests on the water and post my readings. Are there
any better kits than the test strips?? Also, what are the best plants
to add to a small pond?

## The lack of sun may be a problem for you in selecting plants. Someone
with a shady pond may offer you some suggestions. And please remember -
someone is FORGING my headers and using my name to post immature, silly and
sometimes NASTY posts in my name.....
--
Koi4Me.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 01-06-2005, 04:02 PM

Koi4Me wrote:
"The G Man" wrote in message
.. .

Thanks for all the advice so far - oh, apart from the one about the
bleach and not quitting my day job - very helpful. I can't help being
an amateur at something - after all, isn't that where we all start out
and learn by experience??

## Ignore the rude posters using *other people's names* here. :-) That
was a TROLL, not me.

Yeah I am Carol and I can't never take responsibilities for my actions.

Old 01-06-2005, 05:51 PM
Derek Broughton

The G Man wrote:

Thanks for all the advice so far - oh, apart from the one about the
bleach and not quitting my day job - very helpful. I can't help being
an amateur at something - after all, isn't that where we all start out
and learn by experience??

Yeah. It's my opinion that those people don't actually have ponds...

To try and answer some of your questions - I can't remember exactly
what I put in last year but they were all oxygenating plants from a
reputable garden centre (World of Water) - I definately put in about 6
bunches of Elodia Crispa (Goldfish Weed)

I haven't heard the name "Goldfish Weed" before, but elodea's good for a
start.

and a water lilly.

Lily ;-)

Am not 100% sure at the moment how many litres per hour my filter will
process. I assume this is determined by how powerful the pump is? At
the moment I am running it from a small fountain pump but I have
recently purchased a separate pump which delivers 1200 litres per hour
and will dedicate that to the job of keepeing the filter running.

Good idea. Fountain pumps don't usually put out much power.

It's in a semi-shaded area of the garden - ie. It probably gets about
three hours of sunshine a day.

Unfortunately a bit short for most lilies.

Not sure whether this is a good or bad sign - when I cleaned the pump
the other day I noticed some water snails attached to it (which I put

Snails are always a good sign. They're pretty sensitive to some problems.

back in with the pump of course!) Is this a good sign? Also, a big
blood worm came out. Blood worms are one thing I did have a lot of last
year!

They're _not_ a good sign. If you had them last year, then it's no surprise
they're still there, but bloodworms (assuming yours are the same as mine -
not guaranteed) tolerate very poor, nearly anoxic (lacking oxygen)
conditions.

If I empty the pond (as suggested) will this not kill the good bacteria
in my filter since I'll have to switch it off for a few hours while I
clean the pond?

No. Generally the filter needs to stay damp. As long as it's damp, the
bacteria should survive.

What about the bit of life I have in the pond?

Again, most of it needs to stay damp, not necessarily immersed in water.

Can someone tell me what a google converter is??

???? I missed that one. Of course, googling for "google converter" finds
lots of results...
--
derek
Old 01-06-2005, 06:29 PM
kathy

I'm the one that mentioned 'google converter'
and what I meant was that I called up the
www.google.com search engine, typed in
'litres to gallons converter' and probably
got a bunch of hits, picked the first one, stuck
in the numbers so I, as a US resident, and
mathmatically challenged, could have a better
idea of how much water we're dealing with.

kathy :-)

Old 01-06-2005, 06:43 PM
UTBill

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 09:45:22 -0500, wrote:

"The G Man" wrote in message
. ..

Thanks for all the advice so far - oh, apart from the one about the
bleach and not quitting my day job - very helpful. I can't help being
an amateur at something - after all, isn't that where we all start out
and learn by experience??

## Ignore the rude posters using *other people's names* here. :-) That
was a TROLL, not me.

It was you, don't deny it. Now stay on topic or you will be reported
to your ISP.

This space for rent
Old 01-06-2005, 06:44 PM
UTBill

On 1 Jun 2005 08:02:34 -0700, wrote:

Koi4Me wrote:
"The G Man" wrote in message
.. .

Thanks for all the advice so far - oh, apart from the one about the
bleach and not quitting my day job - very helpful. I can't help being
an amateur at something - after all, isn't that where we all start out
and learn by experience??

## Ignore the rude posters using *other people's names* here. :-) That
was a TROLL, not me.

Yeah I am Carol and I can't never take responsibilities for my actions.

Have you got any nakid pics Carol?

This space for rent
Old 02-06-2005, 06:14 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

bunches of Elodia Crispa (Goldfish Weed)

If you used any sort of algae killer, it would have affected the Elodia
also.

They're _not_ a good sign. If you had them last year, then it's no surprise
they're still there, but bloodworms (assuming yours are the same as mine -
not guaranteed) tolerate very poor, nearly anoxic (lacking oxygen)
conditions.

Was just reading something on this (as I catch up on all my back issues of
WG) blood worms are good. Tuberflex worms though prefer polluted
conditions, that is why I've heard it recommended not to feed those dried
or otherwise, to one's fish. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~