Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-06-2005, 05:01 AM
Dsybok

Default At least now I know, what next?

A while back, maybe two or three weeks, I posted about losing a couple of
fish mysteriously, in the Long Beach, CA area. Suspected a bird, but didnt
know for sure.

Well, standing in the front yard today talking to my roofer about an
upcoming project a gigantic gray heron swoops in and lands on the neighbors
garage door. Damn thing didnt even blink when I yelled and clapped from the
front yard. He then slowly walked down the roof of the garage which
overlooks my 800 gallon pond. I quickly ran into the back yard and screamed,
waxed my arms and clapped and he took off.

Definitely at a nearly 4 foot wingspan and 3 feet tall big enough to take my
18" fish that was originally mssing.

So, now to think about countermeasures, as unfortunately I am sure shooting
the damn things is probably illegal. Scarecrow really work for something
that can swoop in from an overlooking height? I dont want to do nets, they
are hideous and will prevent frequent pond cleaning, I just dont want the
hassle. How do the electric fences work anyway?