Old 02-06-2005, 05:01 AM
Dsybok

Default At least now I know, what next?

A while back, maybe two or three weeks, I posted about losing a couple of
fish mysteriously, in the Long Beach, CA area. Suspected a bird, but didnt
know for sure.

Well, standing in the front yard today talking to my roofer about an
upcoming project a gigantic gray heron swoops in and lands on the neighbors
garage door. Damn thing didnt even blink when I yelled and clapped from the
front yard. He then slowly walked down the roof of the garage which
overlooks my 800 gallon pond. I quickly ran into the back yard and screamed,
waxed my arms and clapped and he took off.

Definitely at a nearly 4 foot wingspan and 3 feet tall big enough to take my
18" fish that was originally mssing.

So, now to think about countermeasures, as unfortunately I am sure shooting
the damn things is probably illegal. Scarecrow really work for something
that can swoop in from an overlooking height? I dont want to do nets, they
are hideous and will prevent frequent pond cleaning, I just dont want the
hassle. How do the electric fences work anyway?

Old 02-06-2005, 06:05 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 04:01:02 GMT, "Dsybok" wrote:

[...]

Scarecrow motion sprinkler = http://www.km01.com/gardeninghome.html ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 02-06-2005, 06:56 AM
Koi4Me

"Dsybok" wrote in message
ink.net...
So, now to think about countermeasures, as unfortunately I am sure

shooting
the damn things is probably illegal. Scarecrow really work for something
that can swoop in from an overlooking height? I dont want to do nets, they
are hideous and will prevent frequent pond cleaning, I just dont want the
hassle. How do the electric fences work anyway?

========================
Some people claim good luck with the motion sprinklers. They're useless for
Kingfishers. Some herons learn to come up behind them to fish I was told.
The people I know here either gave up on fish or netted their ponds - but
then we have all types of predators after our fish.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 02-06-2005, 02:16 PM
kathy

General Predator Deterrents:

Electric FiShock Fido fence - made to keep dogs
and cats out of flower beds, fence off the pond,
fairly close to the edge.

Pond Guardian Electric Fence - made to attach to
rocks and lay out over the water of the pond

Scarecrow Motion Activated Sprinkler - sometimes two
are needed. Can be dialed to different settings and put on a timer.
Shock of water coming on startles predators.
Attach to something solid if raccoons push it over.

Netting - sold as bird netting for fruit trees

String Fishing Line - works with some herons

Fish Decoy - works with kingfishers, will give resident fish time to
hide (build a rock cave, or sink a chimney flue or black pipe)

Heron decoy, alligator decoy - must be moved often, works for some
ponders.

Humane traps - for raccoons, for rent or to borrow from many animal
control facilities

You can go to www.froogle.com, enter in the product and find more
information and price information.

* Note - do not attempt to harm herons or any birds of prey. They are
protected by federal law. Fines and jail time will ensue, cutting into
pond dollars and pond time.

kathy :-)
www.blogfromthebog.com

Old 02-06-2005, 06:23 PM
Dsybok

Oh so no machine gunning then. Too bad.

My main concern about the Scarecrow is the water supply. Does it take a
standard garden hose? and if so, I will have to leave my hose on all the
time? Could I just use a modified 5 gallon bucket with hose outlet gravity
fed or does the line have to be pressurized. I dont figure it to go off much
, I could top off the bucket when needed.

Anyone with practical experience on either the Scarecrow or the electric
fences, chime in please. I am probably going to get a Heron decoy at the LFS
today as a first step.

oups.com...

Old 02-06-2005, 07:45 PM
Gale Pearce

My main concern about the Scarecrow is the water supply. Does it take a
standard garden hose? and if so, I will have to leave my hose on all the
time? Could I just use a modified 5 gallon bucket with hose outlet gravity

fed or does the line have to be pressurized.

They need a standard garden hose under pressure to work - a bucket won't
work
Gale :~)

Old 02-06-2005, 08:03 PM
San Diego Joe

"Dsybok" wrote:

Oh so no machine gunning then. Too bad.

My main concern about the Scarecrow is the water supply. Does it take a
standard garden hose? and if so, I will have to leave my hose on all the
time? Could I just use a modified 5 gallon bucket with hose outlet gravity
fed or does the line have to be pressurized. I dont figure it to go off much
, I could top off the bucket when needed.

Anyone with practical experience on either the Scarecrow or the electric
fences, chime in please. I am probably going to get a Heron decoy at the LFS
today as a first step.

It has to be pressurized. Do NOT use a standard garden hose. I have a water
supply near my scarecrow and used a washing machine hose. If you do need to
use a hose, turn the volume down far enough that the scarecrow can "recycle"
between bursts but doesn't apply too much pressure on the hose.

The problem with a Heron decoy, is that Herons get used to it and ignore it.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.

"We need to make a sacrifice to the pond gods, find me a young virgin... oh,
and bring something to kill"

Old 03-06-2005, 12:33 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 17:23:55 GMT, "Dsybok" wrote:

Oh so no machine gunning then. Too bad.

My main concern about the Scarecrow is the water supply. Does it take a
standard garden hose? and if so, I will have to leave my hose on all the
time? Could I just use a modified 5 gallon bucket with hose outlet gravity
fed or does the line have to be pressurized. I dont figure it to go off much
, I could top off the bucket when needed.

Pressurized as already stated. It can use a standard (good quality) garden
hose, mine did for 5 years with no problems. Originally I got it for a
raccoon so had the hose on a timer dusk to dawn, until a neighbor called me
at noon one day that there was a heron on my roof. So now it is on 24/7
except when I have the fall/winter covers on them. Last year my guys
decided to hard pipe them, so no more moving and switching of the hoses.

I am probably going to get a Heron decoy at the LFS
today as a first step.

Serious waste of money, an alligator decoy would be money better spent.
~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 03-06-2005, 05:00 AM
Ron Lawrence KC4YOY

I quickly ran into the back yard and screamed,
waxed my arms and clapped and he took off.

Did you scream before you waxed your arms or after?
Looks pretty painful to me...

Ron

Old 03-06-2005, 08:54 PM
ClaudCar

Scarecrow has to be hooked up to live water source - under pressure. I
added mine before the sprinkler valve, so always live water line. Egret is
gone. Cat is skittish, neighbor was talking to the fish and got soaked
(cussed me out good). ;-)

--
____________________
Claudia
"Dsybok" wrote in message
ink.net...
Oh so no machine gunning then. Too bad.

My main concern about the Scarecrow is the water supply. Does it take a
standard garden hose? and if so, I will have to leave my hose on all the
time? Could I just use a modified 5 gallon bucket with hose outlet gravity
fed or does the line have to be pressurized. I dont figure it to go off

much
, I could top off the bucket when needed.

Anyone with practical experience on either the Scarecrow or the electric
fences, chime in please. I am probably going to get a Heron decoy at the

LFS
today as a first step.

oups.com...

Old 03-06-2005, 10:46 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 19:54:15 GMT, "ClaudCar"
wrote:

Scarecrow has to be hooked up to live water source - under pressure. I
added mine before the sprinkler valve, so always live water line. Egret is
gone. Cat is skittish, neighbor was talking to the fish and got soaked
(cussed me out good). ;-)

People who talk to fish need to be scared out of the yard. Or is that the
people who say the fish are talking back? My motion sprinkler always gets
those confused. ;o) Actually, for some reason it has more preference for
koi & garden club Presidents and Head Coordinators, than anyone else.
~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 04-06-2005, 12:34 AM
Ron Lawrence KC4YOY

I was waiting for someone to say something....

I couldn't resist...

Ron

Old 05-06-2005, 08:36 PM

"Dsybok" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

I installed a FiShock electric fence. The heron touched it with his foot,
shot up in the air and fell on his back. He got up and stood still for a
couple of minutes, then flew away. We live under this guy's flight path
from his heronry to a bay where he fishes, so he flies over the pond twice a
day, and I swear he he makes a diversion. It works well on dogs, coons and
children too.