Old 12-06-2005, 03:55 AM
Our Family

Default Floating Stuff

I have a problem this year with my three year old pond. I have very fine
floating particles of stuff that doesnt get caught by my biofalls pads. If I
turn off the pump it will settle to the bottom but when I try to vac up, it
is so fine it stirs up too quick to get it sucked up. Can anyone think of
something I could run seperate from my normal pump/waterfall set up to help
filter this out.?

--
Thanks,
Ted and Lisa Dziedzic

Old 12-06-2005, 04:51 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

How big and/or what kind of fish do you have? Since my koi have gotten
bigger they sweep all the fine stuff to the bottom drain. ~ jan

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 02:55:51 GMT, "Our Family" wrote:

I have a problem this year with my three year old pond. I have very fine
floating particles of stuff that doesnt get caught by my biofalls pads. If I
turn off the pump it will settle to the bottom but when I try to vac up, it
is so fine it stirs up too quick to get it sucked up. Can anyone think of
something I could run seperate from my normal pump/waterfall set up to help
filter this out.?

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 12-06-2005, 05:37 AM
Reel McKoi

"Our Family" wrote in message
I have a problem this year with my three year old pond. I have very fine
floating particles of stuff that doesnt get caught by my biofalls pads. If

turn off the pump it will settle to the bottom but when I try to vac up,

it
is so fine it stirs up too quick to get it sucked up. Can anyone think of
something I could run seperate from my normal pump/waterfall set up to

help
filter this out.?

========================
I have the same problem and gave my pond vac away. It was useless - as you
say the fine particles go into suspension before you can get them and any
gravel spilled from a plant pot would jam the *&%$ thing.
I now use a Tetra finer foam pad in my filters for a few days (over the
regular filter material), including polyester quilt bating. These will get
much of the free floating particles in a few days. Watch them as they clog
quickly and need rinsing out. I don't have bottom drains in my ponds.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 12-06-2005, 10:55 PM

in my new filter setup, anything floating in the water sinks to the
bottom of my 40g tub. once it's at the bottom, i simply drain it. this
was a major problem for me but i'm getting it under control now. all it
needs is somewhere it can settle and then you can remove it.

Old 12-06-2005, 11:08 PM
Reel-Mckoi

wrote in message
oups.com...
in my new filter setup, anything floating in the water sinks to the
bottom of my 40g tub. once it's at the bottom, i simply drain it.

## Yes, that's what I do as well. The "sludge" is drained into a tub and
used to water the garden.

this
was a major problem for me but i'm getting it under control now. all it
needs is somewhere it can settle and then you can remove it.

## I have the settling tank packed with blue pickerel weed and parrots
feather to help filter the water as it's passing through. :-)
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.