Old 25-06-2005, 01:06 PM
HUNTER

Default bouilding water fall

hi can someone give me suggested on building a water fall
i have got some slat it's 2" thick by 2ft / 1ft x10 i was after some info
on building a water fall with them so can you give me some ideas

thanks

Old 26-06-2005, 06:39 AM
Greg Cooper

I am no real expert from my single pond/stream/waterfall.
But here is a few things:
Make sure your lip rock is very level so that the water will come off it
evenly, use a level. You will need a can of the black expanding foam
to seal under the rocks so to force the water over them. Dry fit them
till you get the look you think you like then lift and foam them in.
You dont need to put a lot of foam as the stuff really expands!
You dont need a big drop to make a nice sound. When the water is on
watch for excessive splashing that may give you water loss. When you
see where the water is going you may need to adjust a bit till you get
the look you like.

Old 29-06-2005, 02:18 PM
HUNTER

Are there any dos and don'ts when it comes to doing a waterfall?
With send and morter and using concrete blocks for outside support
And providing levels in your waterfall.

Thanks hunter

Old 29-06-2005, 02:31 PM
Roy

Check out http://www.wernersponds.com/waterfall.html

Its only one method, but about the only difference would be to mortar
your rocks etc into place, but its not a requirement by any means. It
has pros and cons in using mortar as it has potential to crack and
requires more time, but its done all the time as well as laid up dry
as in the url listed above. It is hard to make a completely sealed
surface under the waterfall and spill way as over time it will crack,
and leaks can be a bear to find, so using some heavy grade liner to
build on is a good idea IMHO, and then those minor cracks will not be
a headache later on.

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 13:18:35 GMT, "HUNTER" wrote:

===Are there any dos and don'ts when it comes to doing a waterfall?
===With send and morter and using concrete blocks for outside support
===And providing levels in your waterfall.
===
===Thanks hunter
===
===
===
=== HUNTER wrote:
=== hi can someone give me suggested on building a water fall
=== i have got some slat it's 2" thick by 2ft / 1ft x10 i was after some
===info
=== on building a water fall with them so can you give me some ideas
===
=== thanks
===
===
===

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 30-06-2005, 01:30 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 13:18:35 GMT, "HUNTER" wrote:

Are there any dos and don'ts when it comes to doing a waterfall?
With send and morter and using concrete blocks for outside support
And providing levels in your waterfall.

Thanks hunter

Water can run uphill. If you put two liners together to make the run, there
is a certain amount of wicking that can happen between the two liners, so
overlap needs to be extensive or seam it.

Don't do anything solid till the waterfall has run a while. This includes
not trimming of the liner. Dry stack everything and let it run, make it
bigger to handle more flow than you currently have. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 30-06-2005, 09:35 PM
Gabrielle

Are there any dos and don'ts when it comes to doing a waterfall?
With send and morter and using concrete blocks for outside support
And providing levels in your waterfall.

Thanks hunter

Water can run uphill. If you put two liners together to make the run, there
is a certain amount of wicking that can happen between the two liners, so
overlap needs to be extensive or seam it.

This is a lesson I learned the hard way -- and it hold true for folds in
a liner. If water gets in the fold, it can have a siphon effect.
Gabrielle

Old 01-07-2005, 08:14 PM
matrix j

Old 01-07-2005, 09:03 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 14:14:13 -0500, (matrix j) wrote:

Your last 3 messages, that I've opened, have been blank. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 02-07-2005, 02:22 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 14:14:13 -0500, (matrix j) wrote:
Your last 3 messages, that I've opened, have been blank. ~ jan

Same here. All of them are blank.
C//

K, at least I know it's not me. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 07-09-2006, 03:33 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy

=== HUNTER wrote:
=== hi can someone give me suggested on building a water fall
=== i have got some slat it's 2" thick by 2ft / 1ft x10 i was after some
===info
=== on building a water fall with them so can you give me some ideas
===
=== thanks
===
===
===

"The original frugal ponder"

Hi
with regard to this black foam can you tell me where I can get it from. Its proving a bit elusive.
cheers
Old 07-09-2006, 03:33 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy

Old 27-09-2007, 01:01 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedro View Post
Hi
with regard to this black foam can you tell me where I can get it from. Its proving a bit elusive.
cheers
Hey, ive also been looking for some black foam with no success, ive rung all the above, checked every big DIY center in the land to no avail. Unfortunately i cant just paint it because im doing something different, im creating a background for my frog tank by using black foam and laying a mixture of pete/coco fiber and moss on the top before it cures to give this effect:

(see fancy background 3/4 down the page)
http://www.brianstropicals.com/building.html

Ive tried it with white foam and it just doesnt work half as well, ive found lots in the US but you cant get it shipped over on airplane so no providers sell it internationally.

Please help,

Chett