Old 11-09-2003, 09:26 AM
Registered User

Location: Isle of Wight
Default Tiny black worm type thingies on the rock in my water fall

On the rock in my waterfall the are hundreds of tiny black worm things that wriggles if I take them out of the water. What are they? They don't look like mosquito lavae.
Old 11-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Sam Hopkins

black flies. KILL THEM.

s.com...
--
juliepacker

Old 11-09-2003, 04:02 PM
K30a

Sounds like black fly to me, too.
You can go here
http://www.people.Virginia.EDU/~sos-...oKeyIntro.HTML
to ID critters.

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html
Old 12-09-2003, 05:29 AM
Registered User

Location: Isle of Wight

Quote:
Originally posted by juliepacker
On the rock in my waterfall the are hundreds of tiny black worm things that wriggle if I take them out of the water. .

Thanks for your replies. The little black worms days are numbered I think. Julie
Old 12-09-2003, 03:02 PM
Sam Hopkins

I had literally millions of black fly larvae on the outflow stream of my rec
pond. They were attached to the rocks. I went and tossed all the rocks onto
the shore to kill them. Some got left in the stream and survived. THESE
THINGS ARE THE WORST! They swarmed me when they grew up. They attempt to fly
up your nose and in your eyes. I got a few up my nose and 2 in my eyes. The
make outdoor fun impossible. If you think mosquitoes are bad...

Old 11-06-2004, 01:27 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally posted by Sam Hopkins

juliepacker wrote:
*On the rock in my waterfall the are hundreds of tiny black worm
things that wriggle if I take them out of the water. . *

Thanks for your replies. The little black worms days are numbered I
think. Julie
--
juliepacker

I've got these too... how do I get rid of them?
Old 11-06-2004, 04:07 PM
Ka30P

Naddy wrote I've got these too (black fly larvae)... how do I get rid of
them?

Your best, and safest, bet is to scrape them off the rocks with a butter knife
and into a thin edged small container. Then dump the container full of larvae
into the pond and the fish will consume them and be very happy to do it for
you.

kathy :-)
Old 16-06-2004, 03:04 AM
ttalbls

I had them in my skimmer on the intake of my pump. At Ka30P's suggestion
that the fish love them, I took a few feeder goldfish and put them in the
skimmer around the pump intake. Result - fishgrew quickly and black fly
larvae are gone.