Old 02-07-2005, 10:02 AM
jw 111

Default mystery of visiting fish

hi, we have a water tank in the garden in london, england 2' (feet) by 4'
x 2' high that overflows into a smaller water tank 1.5' x 2' by 1'5 high.
in the larger tank are two goldfish and in the smaller tank just some water
plants.

we have recently found some extremely tiny fish in the small tank. they are
very similar to ones in a stream that runs about 100 yards from our house.

since we did not put them in; the question is how could they have have
possibly got in there?

Old 02-07-2005, 12:54 PM
axolotl

I'd have quite chat to the goldfish if I were you.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:14 PM
Mike Patterson

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 09:02:11 GMT, "jw 111"
wrote:

hi, we have a water tank in the garden in london, england 2' (feet) by 4'
x 2' high that overflows into a smaller water tank 1.5' x 2' by 1'5 high.
in the larger tank are two goldfish and in the smaller tank just some water
plants.

we have recently found some extremely tiny fish in the small tank. they are
very similar to ones in a stream that runs about 100 yards from our house.

since we did not put them in; the question is how could they have have
possibly got in there?

I suspect your goldfish have moved their relationship to the next
level, if you know what I mean.

Mike

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin
Old 02-07-2005, 03:06 PM
2pods

"jw 111" wrote in message
hi, we have a water tank in the garden in london, england 2' (feet) by
4' x 2' high that overflows into a smaller water tank 1.5' x 2' by 1'5
high. in the larger tank are two goldfish and in the smaller tank just
some water plants.

we have recently found some extremely tiny fish in the small tank. they
are very similar to ones in a stream that runs about 100 yards from our
house.

since we did not put them in; the question is how could they have have
possibly got in there?

If they are not GF fry and are definitely the type from the stream, they
probably came in as eggs attched to birds legs.

Peter

Old 02-07-2005, 03:45 PM
kathy

Fish eggs are sticky, probably for exactly that
purpose.

Time will tell if they are goldfish babies or stream
fish babies.

kathy :-)
www.blogfromthebog.com
this week ~ Mosquitoes!
Run For Your Life!

Pond 101 page for new pond keepers ~

Old 02-07-2005, 11:15 PM
Reel Mckoi

"jw 111" wrote in message
since we did not put them in; the question is how could they have have
possibly got in there?

========================
My neighbor often gets sunfish in his stock pond. The lake is about 1/3
mile away as the crow flies. We figure they come in on the ducks, geese or
perhaps the feet of turtles and frogs - as eggs. I haven't found any in a
any of my tubs or ponds.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 02-07-2005, 11:42 PM
Anne Lurie

Someone already suggested ducks, geese, turtles, etc. -- but based on the
size of your water garden, any water that came in with new plants might have
been a source.

Just a guess,

Anne

Old 03-07-2005, 12:46 PM
Hal

wrote:

hi, we have a water tank in the garden in london, england 2' (feet) by 4'
x 2' high that overflows into a smaller water tank 1.5' x 2' by 1'5 high.
in the larger tank are two goldfish and in the smaller tank just some water
plants.

we have recently found some extremely tiny fish in the small tank. they are
very similar to ones in a stream that runs about 100 yards from our house.

since we did not put them in; the question is how could they have have
possibly got in there?

When goldfish spawn they spray the eggs on plants or structures that
are available, but many of the eggs get fertilized on the loose and
I've had them go through a filter and pump to be found at the end of
the season in my plant pond. (Two to three inch fish without any
food or care.) It is possible to move eggs on plants and even bird's
legs, but I'd bet on the goldfish.

Regards,

Hal
Old 04-07-2005, 06:17 PM
Derek Broughton

Anne Lurie wrote:

Someone already suggested ducks, geese, turtles, etc. -- but based on
the size of your water garden, any water that came in with new plants
might have been a source.

Not to mention attached to the plants themselves - I've definitely had that
happen.
--
derek