Old 03-07-2005, 04:22 PM
bmuller

Default aerial leaves

Three of my hardy lillies have leaves sticking up in the air this year
sufficiently far to obscure the flowers. This has never happened in the
previous 20 years of ponding. Any ideas why?

Old 03-07-2005, 08:00 PM
Reel Mckoi

"bmuller" wrote in message
news:1120404131.478a06710d16fdf0826d41aa8ca827d5@t eranews...
Three of my hardy lillies have leaves sticking up in the air this year
sufficiently far to obscure the flowers. This has never happened in the
previous 20 years of ponding. Any ideas why?

=========================
Overcrowding is a major cause I read somewhere. Not just too many lily
"side shoots" from the same plant in one pot - but too many plants in the
pond or space allotted them. They like plenty of space to spread their
leaves on the surface. As you probably already know they don't like a
current or splashing water.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 03-07-2005, 09:37 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 11:22:12 -0400, "bmuller" wrote:

Three of my hardy lillies have leaves sticking up in the air this year
sufficiently far to obscure the flowers. This has never happened in the
previous 20 years of ponding. Any ideas why?

How long ago was it last divided/repotted? ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 03-07-2005, 10:11 PM
bmuller

We have been remiss in dividing this year for a variety of reasons. I
wondered if that was the problem.

Thanks, everyone.

Old 04-07-2005, 05:26 AM
Tom L. La Bron

Mine do this year after year, yet people that I have given divisions to have
never seen it in their ponds.

Tom L.L.

Old 04-07-2005, 05:30 AM
Tom L. La Bron

Jan,

This has never been a deciding factor with the lilies that I have growing.
In fact, this year I have with-held pond-fertiling tabs thinking that this
may be the reason, but so far, it is evidently not a factor. Whether I
divide or not the plants I have grow ever year will have leaves above the
water. I have always thought that I had a different species, but like I
said in the previous message those that I have sent cuttings to have not
seen this in their ponds.

Tom L.L.

Old 04-07-2005, 08:00 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

Interesting, hmmmm. ~ jan

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 23:30:23 -0500, "Tom L. La Bron" wrote:

Jan,

This has never been a deciding factor with the lilies that I have growing.
In fact, this year I have with-held pond-fertiling tabs thinking that this
may be the reason, but so far, it is evidently not a factor. Whether I
divide or not the plants I have grow ever year will have leaves above the
water. I have always thought that I had a different species, but like I
said in the previous message those that I have sent cuttings to have not
seen this in their ponds.

Tom L.L.
.. .
wrote:

Three of my hardy lillies have leaves sticking up in the air this year
sufficiently far to obscure the flowers. This has never happened in the
previous 20 years of ponding. Any ideas why?

How long ago was it last divided/repotted? ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 04-07-2005, 02:21 PM
Roy

I have quite an assortment of various lilys and lots and lots of
space, so none of my plants are what you would call crowded. This past
spring I dug and divided all of them up into as small a piece as
possible to get the max amound of plants I oculd out of them, and I
have a lot of them that will make aerial leaves and some blooms are
way up in the air.........I did notice its only among the white lilys
though, none of the others have done it, just the white which includes
Albatross, Viginalis, and Queen of Whites variety.

"The original frugal ponder"