Old 03-07-2005, 09:35 PM
Will James

Default Fountaiin Nozzle question 1/2/1 inch

Hello
can someone tell me if it is possible to use 1/2 inch nozzles on 1 inch
pumps i.e. the Oase Aquarius 5000 E
http://www.water-garden.co.uk/pump_aquarius.php
if it is possible, would it work well + would I need some kind of adaptor? I
am thinking of running two or three 1/2 inch fountain nozzles on the above
pump- would the flow to each fountain be roughly 1/3 of the total flow,
therefore presumably a shorter fountain height?

Thanks

Will

Old 04-07-2005, 07:56 AM
Greg Cooper

Hi Will:
I have not done this myself but it should be very possible. Might take
a trip to your local hardware to get the parts.
Pumps dont mind being restricted on their output.
On problem might be that water does not like sharp turns so that
if you are splting your 1 inch into 3 1/2s there can be more resistance
because of fluid dymamics effects.
You might what to take your 1" line into a a large (say 2") manifold
then take your 1/2s off that.

3-4" diameter manifold
-----
| |
| |=========== 1/2" lines
| |
============= |===========
1" line | |
| |===========
| |
-----

My opinion stems from trying to irrigate a hilside with a 2" gas powered
pump from a stream. It pushed a lot of water but we simply put in a
tee every so ofter for a garden hose like. Surprisingly little water
made it out those lines - too much resistance taking a 90 deg bend into
that small diameter pipe.

Good luck.

Old 04-07-2005, 02:25 PM
Roy

Yes and no.......The flow from 2 /2" pipes does not equate to flow
from 1, 1" pipe.

Restrictions and friction and length of runs to each individual nozzle
will come into play, so odds are to get flow out of the furthest one
that is decent and less flow out of the closest lesser restricted
nozzle you will need to add a valve to regulate flow to each fountain
head.

Most volume and prerssure will be lost at the first tap off and
fountain head.......then progressivley the same thing will happen at
the next and so on further down the line.......You also need to be
concerned with the actual flow rate of the fountain nozzles so they do
not exceed what is possible by your pump.

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 05-07-2005, 10:00 AM
Will James

Roy and Greg, thnks for your advice on this. I have been advised by a pond
shop that it would be easier to have separate small pumps for each fountain
so this is what I think I'll probably do.

Regards,

Will
"Greg Cooper" wrote in message
Hi Will:
I have not done this myself but it should be very possible. Might take
a trip to your local hardware to get the parts.
Pumps dont mind being restricted on their output.
On problem might be that water does not like sharp turns so that
if you are splting your 1 inch into 3 1/2s there can be more resistance
because of fluid dymamics effects.
You might what to take your 1" line into a a large (say 2") manifold
then take your 1/2s off that.

3-4" diameter manifold
-----
| |
| |=========== 1/2" lines
| |
============= |===========
1" line | |
| |===========
| |
-----

Old 05-07-2005, 04:12 PM
Courageous

Roy and Greg, thnks for your advice on this. I have been advised by a pond
shop that it would be easier to have separate small pumps for each fountain
so this is what I think I'll probably do.

Eh? A manifold should work just fine; personally, I think it would be
more convenient. Worrying about the friction loss is secondary. That
simply means your one pump may need to be a bit bigger than you expected.

C//

Old 05-07-2005, 06:48 PM
Roy

Yep one pump and a small manifold would do it just fine, and be a lot
cheaper overall to buy, and run. Surely a couple of PVC pipe fittings
, a decent pump, and some cheap ball valves would do the trick pretty
easy..... and cheaper overall than runing and plumbing up three
separate pumps....More cords in the water as well....

..On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 08:12:57 -0700, Courageous

===

Old 06-07-2005, 06:05 AM
Sylvan Butler

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 13:25:55 GMT, Roy wrote:
Yes and no.......The flow from 2 /2" pipes does not equate to flow
from 1, 1" pipe.

Correct.

If you compute the area inside the pipe, usually 1in pipe is about 4x
the area of a 1/2in pipe.

Restrictions and friction and length of runs to each individual nozzle

Exactly. So even if you have 4x 1/2in pipes, you still probably will
not flow as much as one, 1in pipe.

sdb

sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com

Johnson-Rose French Style Steel Fry Pan, 15 Inch x 2-1/4 Inch [email protected] Edible Gardening 0 22-05-2009 01:10 PM
Bostitch C5R80BDG Thickcoat 1-3/4-Inch by .080-Inch by 15 Degree Ring Shank Coil Siding Nail (4,200 per Box) [email protected] Edible Gardening 0 22-05-2009 02:13 AM
Old style sprinkler nozzle Patrick Gardening 0 29-06-2003 09:20 PM
White slime at the CO2 nozzle Andrey Tarasevich Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 07-06-2003 07:32 PM