Old 15-07-2005, 04:50 PM
George

"AllenC" wrote in message
In wd9Be.169862$xm3.151592@attbi_s21, George wrote:

"Lilly" wrote in message
groups.com...
That looks like a beautiful pond. Were all the fish okay?

Thanks! The pond was here when we moved in. We have added most of the
plants, a filter and about 1/2 of the current fish (thanks to my
mistaken purchase of a catfish.)

And, yes, all the fish are fine =]
So much so that new babies are seen each day.
Subsequent rain has nearly topped the pond off, and it's finally clear
as of this morning.

It helps, if you include part of the original poster's post so we know
who
you are referring to. Just a friendly reminder.

Following references isn't as nice as the client doing (at least) a
nice intro, but, perhaps that's what one gets from google shrug

--
*Osc on efnet aka Allen C

remove 'news' & - to email

Speaking of catfish, here is a link to some of my fish pictures, including
some of my catfish:

http://home.insightbb.com/~jryates/fish/fish.htm

Old 17-07-2005, 08:30 PM
AllenC

In YWQBe.155975$_o.106067@attbi_s71, George wrote:

"AllenC" wrote in message
.. .

mistaken purchase of a catfish.)

Speaking of catfish, here is a link to some of my fish pictures, including
some of my catfish:

http://home.insightbb.com/~jryates/fish/fish.htm

We noticed a huge increase in the number of baby fish right after the
catfish (Hover) was returned to the place of purchase 2 years later.

There are so many now that we can only estimate their number at not
less than 20 now after only about 2 months. This compares with perhaps
5 at any one time over the past 3 years, with only 2-3 living long
enough to reach 3 inches. That catfish, we presume, ate quite a few of
the babies, perhaps as many as 70%.

--
*Osc on efnet aka Allen C

remove 'news' & - to email
Old 22-07-2005, 11:35 AM
George

"AllenC" wrote in message
In YWQBe.155975$_o.106067@attbi_s71, George wrote:

"AllenC" wrote in message
. ..

mistaken purchase of a catfish.)

Speaking of catfish, here is a link to some of my fish pictures,
including
some of my catfish:

http://home.insightbb.com/~jryates/fish/fish.htm

We noticed a huge increase in the number of baby fish right after the
catfish (Hover) was returned to the place of purchase 2 years later.

There are so many now that we can only estimate their number at not
less than 20 now after only about 2 months. This compares with perhaps
5 at any one time over the past 3 years, with only 2-3 living long
enough to reach 3 inches. That catfish, we presume, ate quite a few of
the babies, perhaps as many as 70%.

--
*Osc on efnet aka Allen C

remove 'news' & - to email

Can you say "population control"?If I didn't have my catfish, I'd be
overrun with unwanted fish.

Old 11-08-2005, 12:53 PM
kc

It is raining cats and dogs here in Atlanta--pond water is still not up to
the edges, but I found out when I placed the waterfall incorrectly that the
overflow of water may just start to go behind the liner--which is not great
but will probably keep it from overflowing totally...
Kirsten
"RichToyBox" wrote in message
The baking soda is for maintaining the KH. Rain water is generally fairly
acid and will cause the KH to fall and subsequently, the pH to crash.
Before the storm, I would raise the KH to a value of 300 ppm, and then
check after the storm is over and if needed redose. As for other
precautions, if you do not have a generator, get from the sporting goods
section of wallyworld the bait bucket aerators called big bubbles. They
will run 24 to 48 hours on one D cell battery. Take care of yourselves,
the fish won't have anyone to take care of them if you don't.
Two years ago, when Isabelle came through here, we had major flooding.
One of the pond group had their koi pond submerged by the nearby lake,
about 8 foot elevation difference. After the lake went back down, all of
the koi were hunkered down in the koi pond. None escaped to the big pond.
We were without power, except the generator for a week. Thank goodness
for generators.
--
RichToyBox

"kathy" wrote in message
ups.com...

Anyone in the path of Hurricane Dennis?
Crossing fingers for you. This just doesn't
seem very fair!

Was it Rich that posted a hurricane primer?
(or any big storm precaution)

I read on another board about lowering your
pond a couple of inches. Stopping feeding
before the store, having ammonia binder on
hand and baking soda for ph crashes (but what
to do with the baking soda I'm not sure... jj?)
And generators, which I'm sure all Florida and
Gulf coast people are well versed in.
Oh and netting the pond for falling leaves and, gulp, branches
and, double gulp, trees.
Makes living with volcanoes kind of peaceful.

kathy :-)
www.blogfromthebog.com
this week ~ bladderwort

Pond 101 page for new pond keepers ~

Dennis The Menace Brooklyn1 Gardening 1 18-08-2014 01:50 AM
Hurricane reported in Richmond area FBCS Ponds 2 20-09-2003 12:46 AM
Hurricane Isabel's possible path Anne Lurie Ponds 30 19-09-2003 11:38 PM
[IBC] hurricane preparation (was "yamadori" boxwood) Alan Walker Bonsai 3 15-09-2003 09:43 PM