Old 10-07-2005, 06:17 AM
kathy

Default Hurricane Dennis

Anyone in the path of Hurricane Dennis?
Crossing fingers for you. This just doesn't
seem very fair!

Was it Rich that posted a hurricane primer?
(or any big storm precaution)

I read on another board about lowering your
pond a couple of inches. Stopping feeding
before the store, having ammonia binder on
hand and baking soda for ph crashes (but what
to do with the baking soda I'm not sure... jj?)
And generators, which I'm sure all Florida and
Gulf coast people are well versed in.
Oh and netting the pond for falling leaves and, gulp, branches
and, double gulp, trees.
Makes living with volcanoes kind of peaceful.

kathy :-)
www.blogfromthebog.com
this week ~ bladderwort

Pond 101 page for new pond keepers ~

Old 10-07-2005, 09:21 AM
George

"kathy" wrote in message
ups.com...

Anyone in the path of Hurricane Dennis?
Crossing fingers for you. This just doesn't
seem very fair!

Was it Rich that posted a hurricane primer?
(or any big storm precaution)

I read on another board about lowering your
pond a couple of inches. Stopping feeding
before the store, having ammonia binder on
hand and baking soda for ph crashes (but what
to do with the baking soda I'm not sure... jj?)
And generators, which I'm sure all Florida and
Gulf coast people are well versed in.
Oh and netting the pond for falling leaves and, gulp, branches
and, double gulp, trees.
Makes living with volcanoes kind of peaceful.

kathy :-)
www.blogfromthebog.com
this week ~ bladderwort

Pond 101 page for new pond keepers ~

Those along the gulf coast who have to endure this storm have my sympathy.
Having said that, we are having a moderate drought here in the Mid-Ohio
Valley (it hasn't rained here in a significant way since mid-May). We
expect rains from this storm to arrive Mon-Tues and extend through most of
the coming week. For us, the rain will be a very welcome relief, and
hopefully will help break the cycle we are currently experiencing.

Old 10-07-2005, 01:41 PM
RichToyBox

The baking soda is for maintaining the KH. Rain water is generally fairly
acid and will cause the KH to fall and subsequently, the pH to crash.
Before the storm, I would raise the KH to a value of 300 ppm, and then check
after the storm is over and if needed redose. As for other precautions, if
you do not have a generator, get from the sporting goods section of
wallyworld the bait bucket aerators called big bubbles. They will run 24 to
48 hours on one D cell battery. Take care of yourselves, the fish won't
have anyone to take care of them if you don't.
Two years ago, when Isabelle came through here, we had major flooding. One
of the pond group had their koi pond submerged by the nearby lake, about 8
foot elevation difference. After the lake went back down, all of the koi
were hunkered down in the koi pond. None escaped to the big pond. We were
without power, except the generator for a week. Thank goodness for
generators.
--
RichToyBox

ups.com...

Old 10-07-2005, 02:07 PM
Roy

I found that to be the case with my fish as well.....My ponds had been
inundated when the stream came up and backflowed into pond and created
a huge large in the field, yard etc of approximately 20 acres in size
I had figured my fish were history and would now be making their new
homes in the stream and river nearby.......but once thw waters went
down they were all present and accounted for. I guess they know a
good thing when they see it......

In a straight line I am less than 75 miles from the gulf coast, so
most all storms that hit there in the pan handle has a pretty good
effect on us as well as we usually still get the hurricane force winds
this far inland, but its certainly not as bad as those directly on the
coast...

I raised my ponds outlet and spillway and built the dam higher since
Ivan hit last year, so I imagine this is gonna be a full operational
check and I will soon see if its high enough. I made it 16" higher
than the water height that came up last year with Ivan........That was
the highest water ever seen here.

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 08:41:07 -0400, "RichToyBox"
wrote:

[...]

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 10-07-2005, 11:59 PM
Gill Passman

wrote:

[...]

Here is hoping all of you came through it OK.....along with your fish that
are secondary really......

We are lucky living in the UK....we don't get these extremes.....good luck
for the rest of the season.....

Gill

Old 11-07-2005, 03:24 AM
George

"Gill Passman" gillspamattaylorpassmanspam.co.uk wrote in message
.. .

wrote:

[...]

It's the price we pay for living in paradise. :-)

Old 11-07-2005, 10:24 AM
Rodney Pont

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 23:59:02 +0100, Gill Passman wrote:

We are lucky living in the UK....we don't get these extremes.....good luck
for the rest of the season.....

It depends where you are in the UK. I haven't been affected here but
the week before last a storm over the North York Moors washed away a
number of bridges and a car was found six miles down stream. This is
normally just a stream but rose 15 feet after the storm.

Last week a tornado made a mess of a market garden near York. The
farmer went onto a horse box for shelter and it was picked up and
moved, only a few feet but he did regret getting into it for a few
seconds :-)

--
Regards - Rodney Pont

Old 11-07-2005, 04:02 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Rodney Pont" wrote in message
news:atcfzvasbuvgflfgrzfygqhx.ijgw0u1.pminews@ouse ...
Last week a tornado made a mess of a market garden near York. The
farmer went onto a horse box for shelter and it was picked up and
moved, only a few feet but he did regret getting into it for a few
seconds :-)

======================
I do hope he already removed the manure to an outdoor manure pile..... :-)
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 11-07-2005, 11:54 PM
AllenC

In . com, kathy
wrote:

Anyone in the path of Hurricane Dennis?

I didn't think it would be that big a deal here, just north of
Atlanta, GA. As it turns out, after about 7 inches of rain ...

Was it Rich that posted a hurricane primer?
(or any big storm precaution)

I missed that :/

I read on another board about lowering your
pond a couple of inches.

I've done that in the past, and I won't do it again.

There was so much rain here that the rain water gathered under the
pond liner and displaced hundreds of gallons of water.

Images, not great:
http://www.easytospell.com/pondl/

The first 3 are the liner "floating" on the water under the liner. I
was a little stressed so I didn't get very good images :/

The rest were taken 2 hours later, after most of the water had been
removed via a garden host siphon. If you ever have this happen to you,
use your handy shop vac to get the siphon action started.

The last shot is how much hose I stuck under the liner to get at the
water. I didn't realise how far it went under, I just kept pushing it
under hoping to reach the bottom.

Much better pictures can be found here (taken under non stress
conditions =] ) http://www.easytospell.com/pets/

--
*Osc on efnet aka Allen C

remove 'news' & - to email
Old 12-07-2005, 05:12 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

I didn't think it would be that big a deal here, just north of
Atlanta, GA. As it turns out, after about 7 inches of rain ...
There was so much rain here that the rain water gathered under the
pond liner and displaced hundreds of gallons of water.

Images, not great:
http://www.easytospell.com/pondl/

The first 3 are the liner "floating" on the water under the liner. I
was a little stressed so I didn't get very good images :/

Glad that was all you had to do to make it right. Not fun, but I'm sure it
could have been worst. Makes me glad I live in the desert on a sand dune.
;o) ~ jan
~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 12-07-2005, 08:57 AM
George

"AllenC" wrote in message
In . com, kathy
wrote:

Anyone in the path of Hurricane Dennis?

I didn't think it would be that big a deal here, just north of
Atlanta, GA. As it turns out, after about 7 inches of rain ...

We started getting the rain and wind here in Louisville, yesterday at about
noon time. So far, we've gotten about 2.5 - 3.0 inches of much needed
rain. Unfortunately, it appears that this storm is going to pile up
against a frontal system and backtrack, then stall out right over us. We
expect it to be here for the balance of the week, so forcasters here are
looking at us getting anywhere from 8-12 inches by Friday. My pond is
partially raised, so I won't have any problems with water getting behind
ther liner, but I am definitely going to have to lower the water level
tomorrow morning to prevent overflow.

Here's a link to some pics of my "little ones":

http://home.insightbb.com/~jryates/fish/fish.htm

Here is my filter and an overlook of the pond (a couple of years old):

http://home.insightbb.com/~jryates/filter.htm

Old 12-07-2005, 03:42 PM
Reel Mckoi

" George" wrote in message
We started getting the rain and wind here in Louisville, yesterday at

about
noon time. So far, we've gotten about 2.5 - 3.0 inches of much needed
rain. Unfortunately, it appears that this storm is going to pile up
against a frontal system and backtrack, then stall out right over us. We
expect it to be here for the balance of the week, so forcasters here are
looking at us getting anywhere from 8-12 inches by Friday. My pond is
partially raised, so I won't have any problems with water getting behind
ther liner, but I am definitely going to have to lower the water level
tomorrow morning to prevent overflow.

=============================
I love your fish! None of my adult koi look like these but some of their
fry do. The variety of colors in our fry are new to us. Your second URL
wouldn't load for some reason.
I'm here in middle TN. We only got 3/4s of an inch of desperately needed
rain from Dennis. It's still windy and overcast. I hope we get another few
inches before it passes on.

Old 12-07-2005, 10:25 PM
Lilly

That looks like a beautiful pond. Were all the fish okay?

Old 13-07-2005, 03:06 PM
George

"Lilly" wrote in message
oups.com...
That looks like a beautiful pond. Were all the fish okay?

It helps, if you include part of the original poster's post so we know who
you are referring to. Just a friendly reminder.

Old 15-07-2005, 04:31 PM
AllenC

In wd9Be.169862$xm3.151592@attbi_s21, George wrote:

"Lilly" wrote in message
roups.com...
That looks like a beautiful pond. Were all the fish okay?

Thanks! The pond was here when we moved in. We have added most of the
plants, a filter and about 1/2 of the current fish (thanks to my
mistaken purchase of a catfish.)

And, yes, all the fish are fine =]
So much so that new babies are seen each day.
Subsequent rain has nearly topped the pond off, and it's finally clear
as of this morning.

It helps, if you include part of the original poster's post so we know who
you are referring to. Just a friendly reminder.

Following references isn't as nice as the client doing (at least) a
nice intro, but, perhaps that's what one gets from google shrug

--
*Osc on efnet aka Allen C

remove 'news' & - to email

Dennis The Menace Brooklyn1 Gardening 1 18-08-2014 01:50 AM
Hurricane reported in Richmond area FBCS Ponds 2 20-09-2003 12:46 AM
Hurricane Isabel's possible path Anne Lurie Ponds 30 19-09-2003 11:38 PM
[IBC] hurricane preparation (was "yamadori" boxwood) Alan Walker Bonsai 3 15-09-2003 09:43 PM