Old 17-07-2005, 07:30 PM
ice ice is offline
Registered User

Question replacing a liner

Hi, I'm a complete beginner to this pond business, I bought a house last year that had a pond in the garden. We now have a leak in the pond and we've bought a new liner cos it seems to me that repairing the old one (we don't know how old it is) is nearly as hard as replacing it. We were going to use the old one as an underlay for the new one.
What I need though is loads of advice. We've got 7 gold carp (I think that's what they are) about just over a foot long, 1 diamond sterlet, about 8 inches long, 2 or 3 black fish about the same size as the gold ones and loads of little black ones. What is the best way to catch them, what is the best thing to keep them in (we bought a plastic bin, but I don't think it's big enough, would 3 do) do we need to keep them in the pond water, how do we get rid of the last bit of water from out of the old liner, is it ok just to put the fish back in the pond with fresh tap water or does it need to be treated, how long can the fish survive in the bins. etc.

Any help and advice, tips or hints would be very much appreciated.
Old 17-07-2005, 09:31 PM
Reel Mckoi

"ice" wrote in message

Hi, I'm a complete beginner to this pond business, I bought a house last
year that had a pond in the garden. We now have a leak in the pond and
we've bought a new liner cos it seems to me that repairing the old one
(we don't know how old it is) is nearly as hard as replacing it. We
were going to use the old one as an underlay for the new one.

$$ That should work. Also Google ponds, koi and goldfish. You will get
more helpful information than any sane person can read. :-)

What I need though is loads of advice. We've got 7 gold carp (I think
that's what they are) about just over a foot long, 1 diamond sterlet,
about 8 inches long, 2 or 3 black fish about the same size as the gold
ones and loads of little black ones. What is the best way to catch
them, what is the best thing to keep them in (we bought a plastic bin,
but I don't think it's big enough, would 3 do) do we need to keep them
in the pond water, how do we get rid of the last bit of water from out
of the old liner, is it ok just to put the fish back in the pond with
fresh tap water or does it need to be treated, how long can the fish
survive in the bins. etc.

$$ Go to Wally-World and buy one of those 8' plastic pools that cost $14.99.
They hold 500 gallons of water. Make sure you aerate the water somehow so
they don't suffocate. Check it for ammonia daily. Dechlorinate it. Try to
replace them in the pond as quickly as possible. Use a net to keep them
from jumping out of the 500 g. pool. Bird nets are cheapest at ACE
Hardware.

Any help and advice, tips or hints would be very much appreciated.

$$ Besides asking here, hit a good search engine.......
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 17-07-2005, 11:04 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

Pump water from pond into containers, drain the rest down to the last foot
(maybe more) catch fish in tubs by guiding with a net. A koi sock net would
be best, but they are pricey. Maybe cull the herd, if someone can run them
to the pet store, or run ad in paper.

You need a good Ammonia lock/chlorine detox chemical and air pumps and air
stones for the containers. Net containers with something taunt.

Drain pond, clean off old liner (shop vacs are good for this) relay new
liner and fill. Though this would be a good time to figure a bottom drain
and skimmer into the mix (prior to starting the job of course) and an
out-of-the-pond filter. Lots of planning.

If fish are going to be in the containers longer than 10 hours, do a small
water change, add more ammonia lock/dechlor. Keep air stones going 24/7.
~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 18-07-2005, 12:56 AM
RichToyBox

A really good temporary pond is one of those kiddy swimming pools at wally
world or similar, about 10 or 12 foot diameter. Airstones and ammonia
blocker are a must. While trying to get the water level down in the pond,
use that water to fill the kiddy pool, and then there shouldn't be any
temperature differences or pH differences to worry about.
--
RichToyBox

Old 18-07-2005, 01:13 AM
Roy

What JJ's POnd and Rich said....I take it your in the UK, when you
referred to a bin and a sterlet......and probably do not have a Wal
Mart, but odd are there are kiddy pools over there, and they wold be
much better for keeping the fish in temporarily until you get the
liner installed and filled, than a few different containers each of
which would need aeration....Also a good chance to figure our your
ponds water capacity so you know how much dechlorinator to add when
you refill.

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 18:30:39 +0000, ice
wrote:

===
[...]

"The original frugal ponder"

Old 18-07-2005, 09:06 AM
ice ice is offline
Registered User

Thanks guys, for your help and advice.

Yeah I'm in the UK. I did think of getting one of those paddling pools after I posted this, so great minds etc

There's more to this fish keeping lark than you realize.

Cheers

Replacing pond liner - seeking advice Timmah1980 Ponds (moderated) 7 30-04-2007 02:19 PM
Replacing liner? Ralph Ponds 0 14-09-2004 08:07 PM
Replacing liner? Ralph Ponds 0 14-09-2004 08:07 PM
Replacing liner? Ralph Ponds 0 14-09-2004 08:07 PM
Replacing PVC Liner (questions) Amanda Galiano Ponds 3 02-09-2003 09:03 PM