Old 20-07-2005, 06:05 PM
Danny

Default Why only PVC liners ?

Ive been reading up quite a lot about building fish ponds & water gardens &
what I see is that they all advocate the use of PVC liners for lining the
pond. Nobody talked about using bricks & cement or mortar. I'm actually
planning to build a fish pond measuring about 18'x20' in my garden and I
plan to build a more permanent structure by using bricks & cement and
subsequently after plastering, applying it with waterproof coating. Besides
the cost aspect and probably the acidity problem which could quite easily be
cure or neutralized, what are the other disadvantages or adverse effects
that could crop up ? I have in fact constructed the bio-filter & waterfall
with bricks and wandering if it would be disastrous to continue with the
main pond the same way. Appreciate your expert advice before I proceed
further. Thanks all.

Regards,
Danny

Old 21-07-2005, 12:18 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

I think most of us have flexible liners like EDPM (roofing liner) rather
than pvc...it does not last well. It is easy to install and does not
crack as brick and cement can. It is cheaper than cement.

Phyllis and I have a cement main pond (2,900 gal about the size you are
intending, 2' deep, with an old spetic tank in the middle providing a 7'
'deeep well') and EDPM in the berm ponds. The big risk of cement is
cracks, even if you waterproof the inside. Ours is in-ground, so brick
would not work. The concern about brick would be cracks at the joints.
Solid cement is essentially a slab.

We used a very strong cement and rebar at 12" intervals. The cement is
5" on the bottom and 6" on the sides. It was a bear to pour and smooth
(did that ourselves).

If you do the sides and bottom in two pours, you have to put an
effective sealant between them to handle leaks at the joint. We used the
tar-like strips that are used in commercial buildings. The strips are
about 1" and lay next to the rebar from the bottom up into the sides.
You pour right over them. If water gets in, they swell up and seal the
joint.

sides, cement will hold its own weight after about 1/2 hour of
setting, your side forms can be a bit weaker if you do the walls by
circling the pond pouring a foot at a time instead of all the depth at
once. We put the drains, etc into the cement. It is now 10 yrs old and
no cracks.

Good luck if you go this way.

Jim

Old 21-07-2005, 03:19 PM
mark Bannister

Look at www.koiphen.com forums for lots of ideas.
Old 21-07-2005, 04:48 PM
Derek Broughton

Danny wrote:

Ive been reading up quite a lot about building fish ponds & water gardens
& what I see is that they all advocate the use of PVC liners for lining

Really? Is anybody still recommending PVC? PVC hasn't been the liner of
choice for more than a decade. HDPE or EPDM (EPDM is more flexible, HDPE
is much lighter).

the pond. Nobody talked about using bricks & cement or mortar. I'm
actually planning to build a fish pond measuring about 18'x20' in my
garden and I plan to build a more permanent structure by using bricks &
cement and subsequently after plastering, applying it with waterproof
coating. Besides the cost aspect and probably the acidity problem which
could quite easily be cure or neutralized, what are the other
disadvantages or adverse effects

Cost & pH problems are the big ones. It's also permanent. It's so much
easier to redesign a liner pond. I would think concrete would be easier,
cheaper, and no less permanent. There's many web sites discussing how to
build a concrete pond.
--
derek
Old 21-07-2005, 05:32 PM
Reel Mckoi

&
what I see is that they all advocate the use of PVC liners for lining the
pond.

======================
After hearing about problems with cement ponds we decided to use EPDM
rubber. We have Tetra 60 mil liners in both our ponds. One was dug in 1995
and the other about 2 years later - so far not one problem.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 22-07-2005, 12:19 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 01:05:45 +0800, "Danny" wrote:

[...]

Another website www.akca.org click on Koi Health Advisor and the article
Pond Construction. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~