Old 21-07-2005, 01:44 PM
pixi

Default Algae Problem

Just for the record, about a month ago I put six water hyacinths in my pond
to hopefully counteract algae. The pond was thick with algae and no matter
what I did it kept increasing.

Since putting the water hyacinth there is almost no algae but I sure will
have to begin culling water hyacinth.

Old 21-07-2005, 05:09 PM
Reel Mckoi

"pixi" wrote in message
Just for the record, about a month ago I put six water hyacinths in my

pond
to hopefully counteract algae. The pond was thick with algae and no

matter
what I did it kept increasing.

Since putting the water hyacinth there is almost no algae but I sure will
have to begin culling water hyacinth.

=============================
They make excellent compost.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 22-07-2005, 12:54 PM
~ janj JJsPond.ca

pixi wrote:
Just for the record, about a month ago I put six water hyacinths in my pond
to hopefully counteract algae. The pond was thick with algae and no matter
what I did it kept increasing.

Since putting the water hyacinth there is almost no algae but I sure will
have to begin culling water hyacinth.

Dammed if you do... And if you don't?
Old 22-07-2005, 02:44 PM
news group

~ janj JJsPond.ca wrote:

pixi wrote:

Just for the record, about a month ago I put six water hyacinths in
my pond
to hopefully counteract algae. The pond was thick with algae and no
matter
what I did it kept increasing.

Since putting the water hyacinth there is almost no algae but I sure
will
have to begin culling water hyacinth.

Dammed if you do... And if you don't?

WH are multiplying and are a nice deep green for the fist time since I
dug my pond! Yea! And the water lettuce is multiplying wonderfully. I
hope the duck weed will give me some compost material this year. I
guess the few 90+ degree temperatures we have been having have helped.
W. Dale

Old 22-07-2005, 03:10 PM
Reel Mckoi

"news group" wrote in message

WH are multiplying and are a nice deep green for the fist time since I
dug my pond! Yea! And the water lettuce is multiplying wonderfully. I
hope the duck weed will give me some compost material this year. I
guess the few 90+ degree temperatures we have been having have helped.
W. Dale

I mix the shredded fall leaves and garden waste with the WH and WL in the
fall. It makes an excellent compost by the following spring. We recycle
everything around here. Before using the compost I mix in some bone and
blood meal plus a few handfuls of Potash and Ironite. You should see our
garden!!! :-))